Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Infinite Combo Etiquette  (Read 8185 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Infinite Combo Etiquette
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:32:04 pm »

What would you do if someone pulled off an infinite combo on you?  Would you resign?  And by infinite I don't mean Bishop/Fortress, I mean literally an infinite turn, for example Highway/Goons/Forum/Trader, where you basically just click back and forth between Forum and Trader forever once you've got Goons and enough Highways in play.  Would this sort of thing be frowned upon in a tournament or league game?  What would be the correct etiquette for that sort of situation?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Combo Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:48:14 pm »
+1

Correct etiquette is to not do that in the first place.

Failing that, in an online implementation, it would be neat if the client was programmed to detect such nuisance behavior and provided a warning after say (3) iterations and then after say (5) iterations it forced a choice and if there was some array to choose from did so randomly.

Otherwise I would think the client would need to be able to distinguish between progressive play and reiterative play and start the force resignation timer so long as iterative play continues.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »
+6

It's also good etiquette to take a win when you see it, and not fool around unnecessarily. Presumably at some point you'd have won guaranteed.

Also I have no problem with resigning, and will do so, if I think I'm in a totally lost position. And I would certainly resign if my opponent fooled around for unnecessarily long after winning.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:17 pm »
+14

I think the only correct behaviour is to watch your opponent's turn until you starve to death.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »
+4

As the player receiving the loss, I would resign after a few clicks made it obvious they knew what they were doing.

As the player doing the combo, I would demonstrate it a few times, then inform them I can do this infinitely and ask them to resign. If they refuse and they can't do the combo themselves, I would probably get some insurmountably large number of points before draining the Forum pile by not reacting anymore. Then any remaining buys would go to the smallest remaining pile - the Highway pile is guaranteed to have no more than 5 cards left in it. I can buy Highway four times in four turns if they really wanna be jerks about it at that point.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:14:18 pm »

I must be confused about the combo in question. not only do I see how Forum and Trader create a loop but I certainly don't see establishing such a string of actions as being indicative of having a clear upper hand where that person should just win instead.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 03:15:42 pm »

Okay, I see the loop. Does it still fire when the silver pile is empty? Seems like the natural end condition of that loop.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:14 pm »

Okay, I see the loop. Does it still fire when the silver pile is empty? Seems like the natural end condition of that loop.

It keeps firing even once the Silver pile is empty, Trader still blocks the Forum gain and then attempts to gain a Silver (but fails).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 03:22:51 pm »
+1

I must be confused about the combo in question. not only do I see how Forum and Trader create a loop but I certainly don't see establishing such a string of actions as being indicative of having a clear upper hand where that person should just win instead.

You can keep buying Forums, gaining Silvers (and then nothing after Silvers run out), and getting VP tokens from Goons infinitely as long as Forum costs $0.

IRL, I'd be inclined to use the tournament rules from Magic. Online, it would be ideal if the implementation would have a way to handle situations like these, but otherwise I guess you just have to keep clicking until you have more points than your opponent will be realistically able to get without also pulling off the same combo, because the odds are that he will do it before you can end the game since you now have the entire Silver pile in your deck and he doesn't, and then you lose.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:03 pm »
+1

Suppose that you could get endless VP, but not end the game.  The opponent might be able to pull off the same combo next turn.  This is the game of "Name the highest integer" embedded in Dominion.  Well, you know who has the winning strategy in "Name the highest integer"--the last player. "I name your number times two!"  So that's how I would resolve it, IRL anyways.

It seems unreasonably convoluted to program software to do it that way.  Isn't it impossible, in general, to determine whether a loop is infinite or not?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 08:02:47 pm »

Yeah, I initially misunderstood the loop being described. I thought it was more like how you can keep revealing moat an infinite number of times so you do it to just burn the other guy out until he resigns in disgust because the program would see you being active and not force you to resign.

The thing being discussed is a whole different animal.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:06:59 pm »
+5

This is the game of "Name the highest integer" embedded in Dominion.

Isn't it impossible, in general, to determine whether a loop is infinite or not?

Amusingly, these two things are mathematically related!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 08:08:39 pm »

I don't know how to do it online, but I would just say that whoever pulled the combo off last before the game ends wins.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:16:58 pm »

I don't know how to do it online, but I would just say that whoever pulled the combo off last before the game ends wins.

But that assumes that the first person to pull it off ever stops pulling it off.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »

Isn't it impossible, in general, to determine whether a loop is infinite or not?

I am intensely curious and want to learn more.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 08:40:09 pm »
+4

I am intensely curious and want to learn more.

http://www.scottaaronson.com/writings/bignumbers.html

Near the end is a discussion of the Busy Beaver problem, which is a variation of the halting problem.  It has to do with whether programs will stop and how long, and also generates such ridiculously large numbers that we don't even know what they are.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 09:36:04 pm »
+2

Suppose that you could get endless VP, but not end the game.  The opponent might be able to pull off the same combo next turn.

I'm not sure about other ways to do this (if there are), but you can easily prevent other players from performing the combo by simply emptying out the Forum pile once you've reached a suitably high number of points, say, twice the possible amount available from Victory cards in the game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 11:29:00 pm »

Suppose that you could get endless VP, but not end the game.  The opponent might be able to pull off the same combo next turn.

I'm not sure about other ways to do this (if there are), but you can easily prevent other players from performing the combo by simply emptying out the Forum pile once you've reached a suitably high number of points, say, twice the possible amount available from Victory cards in the game.

You can technically do that if you have Ambassador (and in the most likely scenario you would also need at least two Forums in your deck before your opponnent pulls off the combo). But if Ambassador is not around, I don´t think it would be possible for the opponent to pull of the combo a second time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:30:49 pm by gloures »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:23 am »

Plus the total number of VP tokens the opponent could reach in the next four turns due to Goons being around. Yes, that should guarantee a win in a finite amount of time.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 06:24:49 am »

Plus the total number of VP tokens the opponent could reach in the next four turns due to Goons being around. Yes, that should guarantee a win in a finite amount of time.

Yes it should. As long as you empty the Forum pile.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 06:28:58 am »

I looked up some discussions about infinite combos on MTGO, it seems people usually just have to play out the combo in full there, especially if it's a combo that doesn't end the game immediately, mostly because they have a timer and trying to make your opponent run out of time can be a legitimate strategy sometimes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 12:58:06 pm »

On a related note, their should be a hall of fame for the most points in a game, or even the least points, etc.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 01:05:05 pm »

On a related note, their should be a hall of fame for the most points in a game, or even the least points, etc.
Least points possible in a 2-player game is surely 0 plays -10.  And I bet that's happened.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 01:09:34 pm »
+1

Least points possible in a 2-player game is surely 0 plays -10.  And I bet that's happened.

All kinds of Landmarks in play make this much much lower.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »

All kinds of Landmarks in play make this much much lower.
Ah crap, empires. Forgot.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.