Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Infinite Combo Etiquette  (Read 8223 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Combo Etiquette
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 02:59:34 pm »

I looked up some discussions about infinite combos on MTGO, it seems people usually just have to play out the combo in full there, especially if it's a combo that doesn't end the game immediately, mostly because they have a timer and trying to make your opponent run out of time can be a legitimate strategy sometimes.

Um, no, trying to make your opponent run out of time is called Slow Play, and there's a whole infraction procedure for dealing with things like that. When you have an infinite combo, you suggest a shortcut by stating what it is you want to do and how many times, and what the end result will be. Your opponent then can choose to either accept the shortcut, or propose a different action that he would like to do to change what you have proposed. If they don't have anything they can do to change it, they can't just say "no, I don't agree to the shortcut, you must physically play each iteration of your loop".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 03:04:32 pm »
+1

I looked up some discussions about infinite combos on MTGO, it seems people usually just have to play out the combo in full there, especially if it's a combo that doesn't end the game immediately, mostly because they have a timer and trying to make your opponent run out of time can be a legitimate strategy sometimes.

Um, no, trying to make your opponent run out of time is called Slow Play, and there's a whole infraction procedure for dealing with things like that. When you have an infinite combo, you suggest a shortcut by stating what it is you want to do and how many times, and what the end result will be. Your opponent then can choose to either accept the shortcut, or propose a different action that he would like to do to change what you have proposed. If they don't have anything they can do to change it, they can't just say "no, I don't agree to the shortcut, you must physically play each iteration of your loop".

I had the same thought at first, but

Magic: the Gathering Online

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 01:50:50 pm »

I had the same thought at first, but

Magic: the Gathering Online

Ah, yes, I missed the O.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 03:57:06 am »

In a tournament game, call a judge and have him break the infinity.  Perhaps even call the game as a win for that player if that's what he's set up to do.

Hmm, I wonder if in a digital version, it's possible to crash the program?  Perhaps you score so high in VP tokens the game can't handle it?  I've done that in the Ascension app... getting 3K+ honor (aka victory points in tokens), and the game gets sluggish.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 04:21:20 am »

In a tournament game, call a judge and have him break the infinity.  Perhaps even call the game as a win for that player if that's what he's set up to do.

Hmm, I wonder if in a digital version, it's possible to crash the program?  Perhaps you score so high in VP tokens the game can't handle it?  I've done that in the Ascension app... getting 3K+ honor (aka victory points in tokens), and the game gets sluggish.

What I'd expect is that you can probably do an integer overflow, but that wouldn't crash the game, it would just be hilarious.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 02:47:22 pm »

The new Dominion game does slow down as you get more VPs already... whenever I build a crazy Goons engine; and I'm buying 30+ Coppers with 10 Goons in play on the last turn, each buy takes a little longer than the previous one to resolve so I can click again. When it was first launched I would have problems with this crashing when I spent my last buy, but that hasn't happened recently.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.