Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Buttons in the log was a serious mistake  (Read 14384 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Buttons in the log was a serious mistake
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 01:55:45 am »

I categorize a serious mistake as one that actually causes damages like say, leaks passwords in plain text, or deletes bought cards, or charges a user's account for another user's purchases.

Interface annoyances are therefore categorically not serious mistakes.

I agree that those are more serious. Hopefully they're missing from the to-do list because they are not existing problems. My point was that the problems I mentioned are more serious than any of the ones listed.

weird placement of buttons is annoying, but is it really more urgent than game freezing bugs or the lack of matching for 3+ player games?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 06:17:54 am »

I liked Making Fun better, even if they never bothered to implement Empires. I should have known everyone was overhyping ShIT.

But I don't know, maybe this product will be just as usable (albeit more expensive) as MF in a couple of months. MF was pretty bad as well when it first came out.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 08:49:13 am »
+2

The real issue with MF was how practically non responsive they were, oh, and they had an unsustainable business model. I feel like both of these problems are being directly addressed in this venture. Given the same amount of time provided MF I expect This incarnation to be the best yet.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 09:35:16 am »

weird placement of buttons is annoying, but is it really more urgent than game freezing bugs or the lack of matching for 3+ player games?

What I'm trying to say is that it's beyond annoying. When a player don't understand where the buttons even are, it is a "game freezing bug".

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 09:42:37 am »

I've never had a game freeze on Shuffle iT, and I had them all the time with Making Fun.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 10:06:58 am »
+2

I played maybe five games on ShIT in total, and two of them either froze or there was a button somewhere that I had to click but didn't manage to find.

I understand that it's hard to develop a good client, and I understand that two of our best Dominion players have put a lot of effort into this, but let's please not pretend that the current client in its current form is anywhere near as good as MF.

(not that I'm saying MF was brilliant or anything)
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:40 am »
+1

For me, personally, it is far better than Making Fun.  That's not pretending.  But I would expect different people have different experiences.

Edit: (I'm only a casual player, though, and primarily play against bots (and MF bots were better), so I may also be a different user type than others.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:14:39 am by Witherweaver »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 10:16:19 am »
+3

For me, personally, it is far better than Making Fun.  That's not pretending.  But I would expect different people have different experiences.

Yeah, same here. I'm going through good games at a rate of 3x as fast as I could on MF. My biggest gripes are the broken familiar cards feature and the perceived inability to do much with the friends feature. These bug me because they stand in the way of me maximizing the fun I'm already having. The interface will get there but right now it does work just not super great awesome. The bugs that actually prevent play (such as naming cards not in the supply) are definitely the worst offenders right now. That is game breaking.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 10:21:39 am »
+2

I've never had a game freeze on Shuffle iT, and I had them all the time with Making Fun.
This is my single biggest issue with the client at this point.  For me I get freezes and hefty lag ALL THE TIME.  Particularly when I've just won a game, freezes are quite common.

Also, the FAQ on the ShIT forums is AMAZING.  Seriously, they need to link it in the client, it solves so many problems for players who are experienced at Dominion but don't understand some bits of the new client.  It solved so many issues for me.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 10:23:04 am »

Zero freezes or lag, here; Desktop or Mobile browser.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 10:25:28 am »
+1

This is my single biggest issue with the client at this point.  For me I get freezes and hefty lag ALL THE TIME.  Particularly when I've just won a game, freezes are quite common.

Also, the FAQ on the ShIT forums is AMAZING.  Seriously, they need to link it in the client, it solves so many problems for players who are experienced at Dominion but don't understand some bits of the new client.  It solved so many issues for me.

That's weird, it's totally the opposite for me.  The new client is so smooth for me, whereas Making Fun was always slow, laggy, and clunky. 

Though, the new client couldn't be effectively run in Chrome on my tablet.  It could be played, but there was a ton of lag (graphics lag, I think, not network).  I'm assuming it's memory/graphics related.  Button response on the touchscreen was poor.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 12:29:03 pm »

I've only had those freezes at the end of the game with Firefox, never with Chrome. Maybe try Chrome until they've fixed it for all common Browsers (except you already use it of course).

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 12:32:41 pm »

I've only had those freezes at the end of the game with Firefox, never with Chrome. Maybe try Chrome until they've fixed it for all common Browsers (except you already use it of course).
Already on Chrome, otherwise I would already have switched there; since it seems to be the browser they want people to use (correctly, of course :P)
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 01:14:40 pm »

I'm getting the zero issues experience on Firefox...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 01:55:27 pm »
+2

I dunno if it's just the iPad, or also on desktop, but my number 1 issue is the fact that you have to log in each and every time you open or refresh the page.

Other than that it's just some minor bugs. Like when playing a giant ridiculous engine; the game slows down a lot. You might have to wait several second between each buy when buying cards with a bunch of Goons in play. And sometimes after you use your last buy, or click end turn, the game just hangs and does nothing; saying it's still your buy phase. Then I have to refresh the page to restart.

Another weird thing; when Rattington is the one who ends the game, often the game will jump to the game over screen immediately when his turn begins; and then while on that screen you can see in the log him taking his actions including buying the last Province.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 02:44:31 pm »
+2

I dunno if it's just the iPad, or also on desktop, but my number 1 issue is the fact that you have to log in each and every time you open or refresh the page.

This happens on desktop, too. I agree it's annoying.

Another weird thing; when Rattington is the one who ends the game, often the game will jump to the game over screen immediately when his turn begins; and then while on that screen you can see in the log him taking his actions including buying the last Province.

I also wish this weren't the case. If your settings have "wait for animations" enabled, that should include animations that lead up to the game ending.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »
+1

I haven't had a game freeze since beta.

Edit:  My experience is not intended to imply that those who have experienced freezes are lying.  I just wanted to throw out another data point.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:10:20 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 09:54:03 pm »

I've encountered freezes every now and then.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 12:11:07 pm »
+4

I see the most important issues as: better, readily-available visual representations of the trash, mats, Durations, and Journey tokens. Fixing the ability to name cards so that Wishing Well, Mystic, etc. work correctly. Being able to see what all of the cards do in a split pile (Knights/Castles included). Not needing to click on the log, and needing to look at the log less in general.

The out-of-game client needs better guidelines for users, particularly what familiar cards are, and how they operate. A simple link in the client to Chris's unofficial FAQ would be a great start.

For someone who has played with all of the cards already, and has played hundreds of games, these things aren’t as severe. But right now I avoid recommending online Dominion to people who are new to Dominion, because I don’t think it’s friendly enough to beginners.

With the exception of ratings, which are important so that beginners don’t get routinely crushed, and a better interface for finding matches, none of the things on ShuffleIT’s 2017 priority list seem like they should be even close in priority (even you, Stash!).

Add retrievable gamelogs, rating, leaderboard
Finish implementing cards
Improving AI
Adding Campaigns
Adding German, Russian and Japanese support
Card animations: animating all card moves
Expanding on friend list
Create an IOS and Android app
Adding features for Kingdom selection, e.g. to help new players learn cards gradually
Adding tournament support
Further improvements on AI
Offline client
Smart timing rules
Autoplay features
Add logsearch
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.