Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Buttons in the log was a serious mistake  (Read 14325 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Buttons in the log was a serious mistake
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:35:24 am »
+2

I think the new platform was almost certainly launched too early. It has way too many bugs and especially interface problems. Not being able to name cards that are not available in supply and other bugs that make certain cards near-uplayable are serious problems.

But the interface problems are even more serious. There are several, but the most important is the buttons in the log. During beta testing, I didn't for one minute think that this (to me) temporary solution would actually be implemented live. A tutorial might have mitigated this confusing UI, but there is none.

I'm not complaining about these problems because of how annoying I might find them myself. (For instance I know about the buttons in the log, so this doesn't create a problem for me.) I just want to say that these are things that should be fixed ASAP. The longer until this is fixed, the more casual players will be driven away. Delaying launch would probably have been a better idea business-wise.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:12:19 pm by Jeebus »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Buttons in the log was a serious mistake
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:05:50 am »

The contract with Making Fun expired at the end of last year. I'm guessing that Making Fun would have been unwilling to continue their product until the new client was developed further. They would be getting almost no extra revenue from people purchasing sets in that period.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:06:57 am by DG »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:15:14 am »
+1

I found this priority list: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=512.0

Tl;dr of what I was trying to say: Certain UI improvements (like not having buttons in the log) should be priority 1. I'm not sure why UI improvements is not even listed.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:19:29 am »

Well, if you read their forum, you will see lots of people complaining about things that aren't the buttons in the log, so that is why those fixes have a higher priority.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:35:57 am »
+4

Well, if you read their forum, you will see lots of people complaining about things that aren't the buttons in the log, so that is why those fixes have a higher priority.

I am reading their forum, and I see people complaining about buttons in the log (or asking where the buttons are) and other things too, including other UI problems. So..

1) Several things are being complained about, which means the developers have to prioritize among them.

2) Nevertheless, priorities should not necessarily be based on statistics - how many people complain about each thing. Sometimes users don't complain about the things that bother them the most; sometimes they don't even realize what it is; sometimes users go away instead of complaining; only certain kinds of users even go to a forum; etc...

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 11:40:57 am »
+1

To be more specific, these UI problems should also be number 1 priority: Seeing the trash, mats, Durations, and Journey tokens.

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:45:55 am »
+23

...should also be number 1 priority...

That is an excellent summary of our main problem.
Join the Dominion League!

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 12:08:35 pm »

I know it was partially meant as a funny remark, but surely you don't mean that the main problem is that one person lists 5 related UI problems as priority 1 (instead of internally designating them as 1 through 5). Rather you must be confusing it with different people listing different things as top priority? Assuming this, yes I'm only one person, and can only tell you my opinion (having worked in development and web design, for whatever that's worth) about what should be the top priority.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:10:48 pm by Jeebus »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 12:18:46 pm »
+5

Only one thing can be #1 priority, thus the word "also" is an oxymoron in this context. Furthermore, everyone is sure the issue they posted should be the #1 priority.

Now that the joke is explained is it funnier?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:50 pm »

Only one thing can be #1 priority, thus the word "also" is an oxymoron in this context. Furthermore, everyone is sure the issue they posted should be the #1 priority.

No, especially since I already "explained" it. And it was never funny in the first place. It seems you didn't understand my last post though. Here's a hint: In the official priority list, "Adding German, Russian and Japanese support" is listed as priority 2. How can 3 things have priority 2??

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 12:26:12 pm »
+3

Easy to fix, just create 1a, 1b, 1c, ... priorities.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »
+6

Quote from: Stef
Top priorities in 2017:
1: Making ShuffleIT better
     1a: Adding Campaigns
     1b: Adding German, Russian and Japanese support
     1c: Card animations: animating all card moves
     1d: Expanding on friend list
     1e: Create an IOS and Android app
     1f: Adding features for Kingdom selection, e.g. to help new players learn cards gradually
     1g: Adding tournament support
     1h: Further improvements on AI
     1i: Offline client
     1j: Smart timing rules
     1k: Autoplay features
     1l: Add logsearch
FTFY
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »

I know it was partially meant as a funny remark, but surely you don't mean that the main problem is that one person lists 5 related UI problems as priority 1 (instead of internally designating them as 1 through 5). Rather you must be confusing it with different people listing different things as top priority? Assuming this, yes I'm only one person, and can only tell you my opinion (having worked in development and web design, for whatever that's worth) about what should be the top priority.

To explain the joke: They have a large number of important things to urgently do. Not doing this first is not saying this isn't important or is acceptable. It is only saying their problem is that they have a large number of important tasks, so it is very difficult to put one ahead of all the others.

And clearly this important thing isn't the #1 priority. Anything that doesn't break the game or is already implemented can't possibly be. The Mystic naming bug, any bugs that crash the game, cards not yet implemented, things not yet visible like the Journey tokens... these all are more important than something that does work in a bad way.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 01:42:20 pm »
+2

To explain the joke: They have a large number of important things to urgently do. Not doing this first is not saying this isn't important or is acceptable. It is only saying their problem is that they have a large number of important tasks, so it is very difficult to put one ahead of all the others.
What's this thing about explaining a joke that has already been explained, and by now several times? Of course I understand that all problems can't be top priority. Still, developers have to prioritize (or face total chaos), which entails "putting one task ahead of all the others," as difficult as that may be. So the point as such is moot.

And clearly this important thing isn't the #1 priority. Anything that doesn't break the game or is already implemented can't possibly be. The Mystic naming bug, any bugs that crash the game, cards not yet implemented, things not yet visible like the Journey tokens... these all are more important than something that does work in a bad way.
Well, none of those game-breaking bugs are listed in the official priority list. What I stated is more important than anything in that priority list.

And cards not yet implemented is way less important than a confusing UI that turns people away from the game. Actually even an occasional crash will probably turn away less people. Sadly, people are accustomed to the occasional failure of software these days.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:11:17 pm by Jeebus »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 01:52:56 pm »
+4

I would much rather have a visible trash pile than Stash and Inheritance.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 02:00:36 pm »
+2

But without Stash, Chancellor just seems so useless...

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 02:36:02 pm »
+6

But without Stash, Chancellor just seems so useless...

this is funny because Chancellor has been removed form the card pool in the 2nd Edition which is reflected in the online client.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 05:16:41 pm »
+7

Easy to fix, just create 1a, 1b, 1c, ... priorities.

"When they were naming vitamins they must have thought there were going to be way more vitamins than there ended up being. OK let's name these: Vitamin A, Vitamin B... ok man slow down we've got a lot to cover here. B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B12. Then they got to E and they were like 'We're pretty much done. We've got all those damn B's. This is embarrassing. Let's just skip to K and get the hell out of here."

-Demetri Martin
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »
+3

Ignoring for now the tone issues and digression and thoroughly-explained jokes, I think Jeebus is correct that having to do things in the log is something that needs to be fixed.  I assume it's on their list.  Whether it should be priority 1, priority 7, or priority 1q, is a different discussion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 06:05:23 pm »
+2

Ignoring for now the tone issues and digression and thoroughly-explained jokes, I think Jeebus is correct that having to do things in the log is something that needs to be fixed.  I assume it's on their list.  Whether it should be priority 1, priority 7, or priority 1q, is a different discussion.

Let's create a bracket for that!

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 06:22:03 pm »

ShiT should use a bracket to determine which bug/feature to do next, for every bug/feature.

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +484
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 06:29:12 pm »
+10

ShiT should use a bracket to determine which bug/feature to do next, for every bug/feature.

I am looking forward to "Top 30 bugs/features we should do next (#8 will blow your mind!)"
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 08:09:52 pm »
+5

I am looking forward to "Top 30 bugs/features we should do next (#8 will blow your mind!)"

Bug #8: the program sometimes causes the user's brain to spontaneously explode.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:59 pm »

I categorize a serious mistake as one that actually causes damages like say, leaks passwords in plain text, or deletes bought cards, or charges a user's account for another user's purchases.

Interface annoyances are therefore categorically not serious mistakes.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:21 pm »

I categorize a serious mistake as one that actually causes damages like say, leaks passwords in plain text, or deletes bought cards, or charges a user's account for another user's purchases.

Interface annoyances are therefore categorically not serious mistakes.

I agree that those are more serious. Hopefully they're missing from the to-do list because they are not existing problems. My point was that the problems I mentioned are more serious than any of the ones listed.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.