Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Wiki moving into the 2nd Edition  (Read 15209 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki moving into the 2nd Edition
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:15 am »

My thinking on listing the foreign card texts was to have a resource for having the card text for foreign language cards, which would be a help for people making Dominion-related tools (randomizers, tab generators, etc.), as well as a place to list translation errors. Not really strategy-related, but important and interesting info about the card nonetheless.

Makes sense.  However, Shuffle iT will (supposedly) soon have several foreign language translations, and those will probably have at least some differences from those published by other companies.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 11:29:32 am »

At least I sure hope that if ShiT ever releases a Finnish translation, it will have as little to do with Lautapelit.fi's translation as reasonably possible.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 01:20:18 pm »
+2

At least I sure hope that if ShiT ever releases a Finnish translation, it will have as little to do with Lautapelit.fi's translation as reasonably possible.
Feel free to offer to be the change you want to see in the Finnish translations.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 05:23:30 pm »

Feel free to offer to be the change you want to see in the Finnish translations.

Inspiring quote!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 01:05:26 am »

My thinking on listing the foreign card texts was to have a resource for having the card text for foreign language cards, which would be a help for people making Dominion-related tools (randomizers, tab generators, etc.), as well as a place to list translation errors. Not really strategy-related, but important and interesting info about the card nonetheless.

Makes sense.  However, Shuffle iT will (supposedly) soon have several foreign language translations, and those will probably have at least some differences from those published by other companies.

Seems like any different or new digital text for a foreign translation could/should go in the table as another entry. I don't think the text takes up that much space vertically, since it's not taller than the image on the right, but maybe you meant something different by that?

I tried combining the print and digital versions together in the same table entries, since this makes things shorter overall without the separate "Digital versions" subsection. See what you think here:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/User:Dbclick/Masquerade2

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 09:02:45 am »

Oh no I meant horizontally. I was looking at it on my phone originally, and the text column squashed everything else to the side. On my computer, it looked fine. I think the digital versions should be separated out.

EDIT: Upon reflection, I think it's probably best to have the digital version in the way you have them.  I think your current formatting would be fine to put into wide release.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:36:38 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:17 pm »

EDIT: Upon reflection, I think it's probably best to have the digital version in the way you have them.  I think your current formatting would be fine to put into wide release.

Sounds good. My thought was to leave the main card text and picture using the current printed ones until the new wordings are finalized. Here's an example here for Tactician:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/User:Dbclick/Tactician

The updates like Masquerade would apply to the currently released Second Editions (Base and Intrigue) and the finished soft second edition (Hinterlands).
As each additional expansion has the new wording and formatting done and we have pictures of the cards, we can update the main card text and picture for those sets.

Are those printed scans of the updated Hinterlands Donald gave you good enough to be the new main card pictures or should we wait on those until someone can buy them and scan them or try and talk someone into getting an official PDF for shrinking down?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 12:00:46 am »

Sounds good. My thought was to leave the main card text and picture using the current printed ones until the new wordings are finalized. Here's an example here for Tactician:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/User:Dbclick/Tactician

The updates like Masquerade would apply to the currently released Second Editions (Base and Intrigue) and the finished soft second edition (Hinterlands).
As each additional expansion has the new wording and formatting done and we have pictures of the cards, we can update the main card text and picture for those sets.

Are those printed scans of the updated Hinterlands Donald gave you good enough to be the new main card pictures or should we wait on those until someone can buy them and scan them or try and talk someone into getting an official PDF for shrinking down?

Tactician looks good.  And I think the updated Hinterlands scans are good enough for now.  I'm not opposed to someone else making new scans, though.  Donald has already said shrinking down the higher quality PDF is not happening.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 10:42:24 am »

Tactician looks good.  And I think the updated Hinterlands scans are good enough for now.  I'm not opposed to someone else making new scans, though.  Donald has already said shrinking down the higher quality PDF is not happening.
They don't send the big ones to me - too big - and the shrunk versions they send, again, are not quite the same sometimes.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2017, 11:04:09 pm »
+1

Speaking of the Wiki and 2nd edition, I edited the Masquerade article's section on pins to reflect that the empty-hand pin technique does not work any more.  I added in a mention of the pins that can still theoretically work: Cutpurse, Taxman, and Bureaucrat, noting that as the order in which they are likely able to be put together.  Feel free to expand, rewrite, revert, or mock my attempt to update the Wiki.
Stop reading my signature.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 12:33:46 pm »
+2

Speaking of the Wiki and 2nd edition, I edited the Masquerade article's section on pins to reflect that the empty-hand pin technique does not work any more.  I added in a mention of the pins that can still theoretically work: Cutpurse, Taxman, and Bureaucrat, noting that as the order in which they are likely able to be put together.  Feel free to expand, rewrite, revert, or mock my attempt to update the Wiki.

Taxman only affects people with 5+ card hands.

ksbionerd

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:20 pm »

It is cool to learn that the cards are being re-released.  I just purchased Seaside, unfortunately, and Intrigue 2nd Edition (fortunately).  I was getting ready to purchase 2 more expansions today so I am glad I stumbled across this page.  Is there any very-rough timeline as to when the updated expansions will be released?  And how will we know they are the updated expansions?  Thank you!

Sincerely,
Kyle

Edit:  I apologize for my ignorant question as I am obviously new to this site.  Does this update refer only to pdf versions of the cards or will it also be reflected in updated printed cards as well?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:44:21 pm by ksbionerd »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:56 pm »

It is cool to learn that the cards are being re-released.  I just purchased Seaside, unfortunately, and Intrigue 2nd Edition (fortunately).  I was getting ready to purchase 2 more expansions today so I am glad I stumbled across this page.  Is there any very-rough timeline as to when the updated expansions will be released?  And how will we know they are the updated expansions?  Thank you!

Sincerely,
Kyle

There is no timeline. Just, whenever each set needs reprinting.

The updated versions should all mention "the first edition of Intrigue" or some such on the back of the box when talking about needing the base cards. If it just mentions Intrigue without specifying "first edition", it's not an updated copy of whatever expansion. Except Empires. All copies of Empires are "updated".

ksbionerd

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 08:50:30 pm »

Sincerely,
Kyle

Thank you.  I guess my wife and I will have to hold off on purchasing further expansions until they are updated.  We have become hopelessly addicted and are getting our friends hooked as well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:52:45 pm by ksbionerd »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 08:56:06 pm »

I believe you meant to post this? You accidentally edited LFN's quote:

Sincerely,
Kyle

The updated versions should all mention "the first edition of Intrigue" or some such on the back of the box when talking about needing the base cards. If it just mentions Intrigue without specifying "first edition", it's not an updated copy of whatever expansion. Except Empires. All copies of Empires are "updated".
Thank you.  I guess my wife and I will have to hold off on purchasing further expansions until they are updated.  We have become hopelessly addicted and are getting our friends hooked as well.

My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ksbionerd

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
+1

I believe you meant to post this? You accidentally edited LFN's quote:

Sincerely,
Kyle

Yes.  Thank you.  My phone does not like the website.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 09:01:40 pm »

Hinterlands has been updated, but I would be careful ordering it online. Try for in person so you can check the back of the box.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 11:22:54 am »

The one thing I can say is that Prosperity is next. Note that it won't get new cards, just improved layout etc.

TheDetour

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 01:34:44 am »

A note for Donald X and Rio Grande:

I am glad you are planning to reprint - just wanted to put in a vote for Seaside to be moved up in the timeline since it is becoming harder and harder to find (almost impossible at MSRP) and we could really use a reprint of it.

Thanks!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 09:07:02 am »

A note for Donald X and Rio Grande:

I am glad you are planning to reprint - just wanted to put in a vote for Seaside to be moved up in the timeline since it is becoming harder and harder to find (almost impossible at MSRP) and we could really use a reprint of it.

Thanks!

I think they're literally waiting for 1st editions of sets to sell out completely before printing their 2nd edition.  So don't expect to see Adventures or Guilds/Cornucopia for a while.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 01:46:27 pm »

It is 100% about when stock runs out and then things out of our control (e.g. printer availability). It will come out as soon as RGG can get it after stock runs out.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2017, 01:17:44 am »

Is it a good idea to remove references to 1st edition only cards? For example I just edited the Ironworks page to change references from Great Hall to Mill, and removed the reference to Scout.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:35 am »

Is it a good idea to remove references to 1st edition only cards? For example I just edited the Ironworks page to change references from Great Hall to Mill, and removed the reference to Scout.

I'm not particularly concerned about that, especially since a lot of people still have 1st edition cards, but if you feel like spending your free time on that, go for it.

TheDetour

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:08 am »

It is 100% about when stock runs out and then things out of our control (e.g. printer availability). It will come out as soon as RGG can get it after stock runs out.

No problem - thanks for the update.  I will be patient and maybe get Intrigue first since it already has a 2nd edition ready to go!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 20 queries.