Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A weird card idea  (Read 2069 times)

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
A weird card idea
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:09:45 am »

What do you guys think of this weird idea?

Strategist
Type: Action
Cost: $5 ?
Play any number of Action cards from your hand in any order, then put your hand on top of your deck in any order.

It feels like it would be fun, maybe a little too confusing though. The drawback keeps it in check since you'll be stuck with your victories and treasures next turn. I'm not sure if I'll actually try this one, it just seemed like an interesting idea.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:14:52 am by MattLee »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: A weird card idea
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:20:38 am »

Seems really really weak 85% + of the time. And this is coming from someone who plays engines 85% of the time.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:29:26 am »

It could be useful in decks with a lot of non-treasure payload and draw power. The ability to play the 3 smithies you otherwise would have dead-drawn could actually help get through the entire deck and play all the +$ cards you have.  It probably wouldn't work well with roughly 85% of most decks that are used, but other types of decks (including some that are pretty terrible otherwise) might become more common and much better (e.g. a bunch of smithy's and woodcutters with no village).
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:51:54 am »
+1

Do you have to pick the cards from your starting hand, or can you play a Smithy, draw another Smithy, play that Smithy, etc etc?

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:15:56 am »

What do you guys think of this weird idea?

Strategist
Play any number of Action cards from your hand in any order, then put your hand on top of your deck in any order.

It feels like it would be fun, maybe a little too confusing though. The drawback keeps it in check since you'll be stuck with your victories and treasures next turn. I'm not sure if I'll actually try this one, it just seemed like an interesting idea.
This is worse than "Reveal your hand. +1 Action per Action card revealed" due to the topdecking and too bad at any price.
Even without the topdecking it would be often be Necro and only rarely "+3 Actions" or "+4 Actions" which is still superweak.

You would only buy this in a Kingdom in which Action cards provide virtual coins and in which no village is present and you direly need one.

The card would become moderately stronger if the Action card were set aside and if the topdecking were deleted.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 06:16:31 pm »
+1

Strategist

As written, it has issues with keeping you honest. Try it like this:

Set aside any number of Action cards from your hand. Play these cards in any order, then put your hand on top of your deck in any order.

(I predict it will be Terribroken. Usually rather weak, and then some cards will make it horribly strong. You might want to test it in games with something like Vault.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:40:22 pm »

Good points guys, this probably wouldn't work at all how I wanted it to.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:42:24 am »

Strategist

As written, it has issues with keeping you honest. Try it like thisu:

Set aside any number of Action cards from your hand. Play these cards in any order, then put your hand on top of your deck in any order.

(I predict it will be Terribroken. Usually rather weak, and then some cards will make it horribly strong. You might want to test it in games with something like Vault.)

I'd rather implement honesty the other way round and make it a non-permanent Champion:

+1 Action
When you play an Action card this turn, +1 Action.

I think this (without the top-decking) could work fine at  $3-4, since it's essentially a mega-Village which doesn't draw a card. But in the absence  of Scheme, you still need several to guarantee having one in your starting hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.