Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Challenge another player?  (Read 6375 times)

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nyarpy
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Challenge another player?
« on: January 01, 2017, 02:56:56 pm »

My wife and I pretty much only play against each other. We can't figure out how to do that on this system.

I have any number of complaints about this new system (not least of which is that there isn't a dedicated Android client so we're stuck playing in the Silk browser on our Kindles, which means it's incredibly easy to accidentally refresh the screen and therefore log out), but until I can get this particular issue working they're all moot, since I guess we'll be going back to the physical cards.

On MF, it was easy. "Challenge another player", type in their name, they click accept, game starts. Here, I can create a table, and then under "Matching" she sees me in her friend list and that I'm at a table, and she can join it. But that makes her a spectator. So I tried to change the "Allow spectators" on my table to "No" which I hoped would make her a player when she joined, but clicking on the "Yes" (or any other setting like "First player" or "Min/Max Events/Landmarks) does nothing at all.

What am I doing wrong? This is creating a lot of unnecessary tension in my household...

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Challenge another player?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:02:34 pm »
+2

1. Add each other as friends. To do this, go to "Friend List" and type in your wife's username.
2. Have her log in and accept your friend request in the same place.
3. Go to "Matching" and you will see your wife there. Challenge her to a game directly from this menu. Don't create a table first.

Tensions in your household sound like a personal problem. We can't help you with that one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:04:08 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:05:53 pm »

3. Go to "Matching" and you will see your wife there. Challenge her to a game directly from this menu. Don't create a table first.

How do I do that? When I'm on the Matching tab, I can click on her name, but that doesn't do anything.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 03:08:26 pm »

Hm... I think I was mistaken about this feature. I apologize. I will ask someone who knows to take a look at this thread.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 03:11:57 pm »

Hm... I think I was mistaken about this feature. I apologize. I will ask someone who knows to take a look at this thread.

Thanks. I had found http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=845.0, but it wasn't much of a help.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 03:17:56 pm »

According to Watno, "currently the only way is making a table and having the other person join it."

Too bad. Much of the current design is set to change in the future. The friend feature was added very late in development and will probably be improved in the coming months.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 03:49:30 pm »

Thanks. I had found http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=845.0, but it wasn't much of a help.
aw
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

StanSteamer

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »

Has anyone figured out how to add a bot to a table? I basically want to challenge a player, but then also have a bot play in the game.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 03:58:47 pm »

Set the minimum number of players to a higher number. The difference between that minimum and the number of actual players will be filled up by bots.

StanSteamer

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »

I have two players that are "ready" and the minimum number of players set to three, but I can't get the game to start. Is there some other way to get the game to start so it will populate with bots?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:18:51 pm »

Weird, it does work for me. Sadly, there is no other way atm.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »

aw
nyarpy, if you're still around, i added something to the guide above that might have been causing your issue: go to advanced options and make the min and max relative rating -100 and 100. i don't know if this is the cause of the issue, but if your wife can find you in the list of tables but doesn't see an option labeled "play" then this might fix it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 04:21:36 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 04:26:30 pm »
+1

I added a post there that should help.

We still need some work on an easy way to challenge a specific opponent. For now, this is the way to go:

1) add each other as friends.
2) one of you starts a table.
3) the other one goes to the "Matching" tab and clicks "join" next to your name.
4) now you're on the same table, can choose some rules, and start the game.
Join the Dominion League!

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »

We still need some work on an easy way to challenge a specific opponent. For now, this is the way to go:

1) add each other as friends.
2) one of you starts a table.
3) the other one goes to the "Matching" tab and clicks "join" next to your name.
4) now you're on the same table, can choose some rules, and start the game.

Step 4 seems to be the problem for us. When we do steps 1-3, she joins my table as a spectator. How do we then make her a player?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 04:54:29 pm »

there should be a play button in the bottom left for her. (Maybe you need to follow schadd's advic above to get that to show up?)

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 04:54:40 pm »

nyarpy, if you're still around, i added something to the guide above that might have been causing your issue: go to advanced options and make the min and max relative rating -100 and 100. i don't know if this is the cause of the issue, but if your wife can find you in the list of tables but doesn't see an option labeled "play" then this might fix it.

As for finding me in the list of tables, forget it. The list goes on forever, loads slowly as you scroll down, and doesn't appear to have a way to sort it. Maybe I'm in the list, but she doesn't feel like looking for 20 minutes to find me there.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 04:57:19 pm »

The play button in the bottom left should be there after she joined you on your table as a spectator

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »

there should be a play button in the bottom left for her. (Maybe you need to follow schadd's advic above to get that to show up?)

That advice didn't get a Play button to show up on her Matching tab; still just a Join button which makes her a spectator. Again, maybe there's a Play button on the Tables tab, but it's next to impossible (or maybe actually impossible - we've never succeeded yet) to find the particular game you want in that list.

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »

The play button in the bottom left should be there after she joined you on your table as a spectator

Ah, that is there now. Okay, we'll test more now that we have that.

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 05:03:13 pm »

Ah, that is there now. Okay, we'll test more now that we have that.

Nope, still no good. I was testing on my Win10 laptop in Chrome when I set the -100 and 100 thing, which then did give her the option to click Play after joining the table on her Kindle Fire. But if I create the table on my Kindle Fire, I can't change those options, as I mentioned above regarding other table settings. If we can't play on our tablets, we probably won't be playing at all.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »

A dedicated Android client is planned, sorry it isn't working right now.

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 05:22:32 pm »

Any way to pause our one-year carried-over subscriptions until we can actually use them?

silphco

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »

Any way to pause our one-year carried-over subscriptions until we can actually use them?

I'd like to know too. Is there a planned date for when the new Dominion hits a "1.0" playable state?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.