Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MattLee's cards  (Read 6655 times)

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
MattLee's cards
« on: December 27, 2016, 04:04:55 pm »
+3

Hi all! This is my first shot at making cards and I'd love any and all input I can get before I print them out. I only own the base set (1st and 2nd edition), Intrigue (1st and 2nd), Seaside, and Prosperity but I am familiar with most of the other cards. If a card of mine is very similar to a card in a later expansion me know. I only play 2 player an usually colony/platinum games so cards that work for those games are my priority but I want them balanced for all games if possible. I prefer cards that are simple, don't slow down the game, and are unique.

This is my attempt at making an Envoy type card more fun. Instead of just loosing your best card it lets you play a little mind game with your opponent. He put 3 decent cards into the face up pile, then the face down cards must be really good right? nope, its a pair of coppers, gotcha! The +1 Action is there to make the choice more interesting.

I'm not sure how strong this card would be. It won't always hit but when it does it could be harsh. It could incentive or disincentive you from buying the same cards as your opponents which could be interesting.

In my house Market and Wishing well are both popular cards and this is a sort of hybrid of the two.

This might be too similar to throne room and kings Court to bother with but I like the idea. We'll see.

I saw this idea somewhere on the forum and liked it. I sometimes buy feast on a 3/4 split when there are must have 5 cost cards. This is a card you buy on a 5/2 split when you'd rather have the 4 cost cards!

Has anyone played with cards that basically end the turn? Does this sound un-fun?

I got this idea from another Lastfootnote, his cost $2, +4 cards, passed to the left and when you gained it you shuffled your deck into your discard pile. Every player can benefit from drawing cards, so the other player was never sad to see it. I want to see if I can find a make a version that you buy if you need it but not all players want. This version won't benefit a big money strategy and they'll have to decide if they play it just to get it out of their deck or keep a dead card so you can't have it.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: MattLee's cards
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:03:46 pm »
+1

Bravo! I like some of these enough that I'l probably make my own versions  ;).

Vault: I'm assuming you haven't seen the card in Prosperity called this. The effect is interesting, but kinda too similar to Treasure Trove, and probably too good for 3. The swingyness is interesting.

Advisor: See the card from Guilds. Your version is so similar it's weird.

Broker: I guess? Doesn't seem that interesting. It should probably be a 4, if not a 5.

Bounty Hunter: Again, it's passable, but I've seen other cards that implement a similar idea in a more interesting way. Probably a 5.

Foreign Market: Passable, boring. Probably too much better than Market.

Royal Hall: A minor vanilla bonus would make it a little better.

Celebration: You used the exact same art Banquet from Empires does XD. I guess it's fine.

Tavern: Under priced, I like the exact same card that won the Prize contest in the mini set.

Tracker: Is there a reason this doesn't say discard the other 2? I really like this one.

Tradesman: I like it. It should probably be a 4 so you can't open with 2 of them.

Wanderer: It's cool.

My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 09:45:35 pm »
+3

Vault: (There is already a card called Vault.) Overall it does not seem that interesting as it just floods you with Treasure and leads to Big Money mirror matches, since it is a very strong BM option. Some folks might also find the randomness frustrating. At least I would raise the price to $4 so you cannot open with two of them. It could also see use in very strong engines with ways to trash the Treasures for benefit. Compare to Explorer or Treasure Trove, both of which cost .

Advisor: (There is already a card called Advisor.) Looks fun, but will certainly slow things down if you start chaining them.

Broker: Looks fine.

Bounty Hunter: I like that you have to reveal the card you want to target. The attack seems very strong and gets stronger with each successive play. I would set a limit like "each other player with X or more cards in hand" to prevent pins. You could shorten "copy of that card" to "copy of it".

Foreign Market: Combos with Scout! I don't have any ideas on pricing. seems ok but it could easily go up or down; playtesting would have to determine that.

Royal Hall: I like it. "You may trash Royal Hall" should be "You may trash this".

Tavern: Definitely OP. Compare to Band of Misfits. Also with a single cost reduction you can pile these out instantly.

Tracker: I would change "Reveal" to "Look at". There is no need to reveal the cards and a Tracker should be sneaky! This should probably cost (at least) ; the draw is better than Oracle's and you get an additional coin on top of that.

Wanderer: Where does this go when you pass it to the player on your left?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:02:20 pm by singletee »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:04:09 am »
+1

Vault
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Buy. Gain a Copper, a Silver and a Gold. Put one, chosen at random, into your hand.
Dominion: Prosperity has a card called Vault.
Compare to Treasure Trove: This costs $3, gives a Buy, and floods Silver in addition to the Copper and Gold. 33% of the time it will give only $1, while the rest it will be better. I think it is too strong between the Buy and the Cost. Remove the +Buy or increase its cost to $5.

Advisor
Cost: $4
+1 Action. The player to your left looks at the top 5 cards of your deck and separates them into a face-up pile and a face-down pile. Put one into your hand and the other into your discard pile.
This "puts" the cards into your discard pile instead of "discarding" them which matters for triggering some effects (like Tunnel). Is this intentional?
Probably no technical problems here, but since this costs $4 it can be stocked and chained quite easily and it is a non-trivial decision for both the player of it and the player to their left. Compared to Magic: The Gathering's Fact or Fiction, it will cause a huge slow down in the game since it can be played every turn instead of it being a real event.

Broker
You may discard any number of cards. Take a Coin token for each card discarded this way.
Does not need to be optional since the player can choose to discard 0 cards.
Discarding the entire hand for 4 Coin tokens is probably too strong to cost less than $5.

Bounty Hunter
Types: Action, Attack
+2 Cards. Reveal a card from your hand. Each other player discards a copy of that card (or reveals a hand with no copies of that card).
Needs to be capped to effecting only players with at least 5 cards in hand to prevent pins.
This is very targeted in multiplayer games since you might be revealing cards that can only possibly hit one player. That isn't necessarily a problem if that's what you intend to happen, but most here will not like it.

Foreign Market
Cost: $5
+1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1. Name a card. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the named cards into your hand and discard the rest.
Likely too strong compared to Market, though Market is a weak $5 to begin. I would test and likely recommend increasing the price to $6. Its overall similarity to Mystic makes me less interested.

Royal Hall
Choose an Action card in your hand and play it twice. You may trash Royal Hall. If you do, play that Action an additional time.
"Choose an Action card..." needs to be optional or else have a clause to reveal a hand with no Action cards. "You may trash Royal Hall" should be "You may trash this."
Played with something like this and it is perfectly serviceable.

Celebration
Types: Action, Attack
Trash this card. Gain 3 cards each costing up to $4.
This is the art of Banquet. This probably shouldn't be an Attack.
Likely too similar to Ball from Dominion: Adventures.

Tavern
Gain an Action card costing up to $4 and play it immediately.
With cost reduction (from Bridge, Highway, or Bridge Troll), one Tavern can empty the Tavern pile. Should be "Gain an Action card costing less than this..."
Comparable to Band of Misfits, but likely runs the piles too quickly in multiplayer games.

Tracker
+$1. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put 2 into your hand and 2 into your discard pile.
Does not need to "reveal" the cards since their identities are unimportant. This "puts" cards into your discard pile instead of "discarding" them which matters for some interactions. Was this intentional?
The cycling likely makes this strong, but +2 Cards tends to be fairly weak. I worry about this card's efficacy in Big Money.

Tradesman
Gain a card costing up to 6, then move immediately to your Clean-Up phase.
Needs a Coin symbol for $6.
Probably needs to cost $4 to avoid double openings. Otherwise it seems cool enough.

Wanderer
+4 Actions. Pass this to the player on your left.
When you buy this, gain an Action card costing up to 3.
Passed cards go to a player's hand. Is that intentional? Needs a coin symbol for $3.
The +Actions with no +Card make it very feast or famine which I tend to not like quite as much. If this goes to other player's discard piles I think it's okay. If it goes to the hand as currently written I don't like it at all.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:56:17 am »
+2

Tradesman
Probably needs to cost $4 to avoid double openings. Otherwise it seems cool enough.
What does "move to your Cleanup phase" mean?
When I play Throne-Room to try to play Tradesman, what happens?
I think "discard your hand" or "you cannot buy a card" clauses are better. Actually, it is just a Smuggler which lets you gain whichever you like (of course this is strong). So I don't think penalty should be strong. 4-cost and something works.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:57:26 am by majiponi »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:27:26 am »
+1

Tradesman
What does "move to your Cleanup phase" mean?
When I play Throne-Room to try to play Tradesman, what happens?
I think "discard your hand" or "you cannot buy a card" clauses are better. Actually, it is just a Smuggler which lets you gain whichever you like (of course this is strong). So I don't think penalty should be strong. 4-cost and something works.

It means you discard everything from play and draw 5 new cards. After that (in case of throning, you gain card costing up to $6.)

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 11:06:36 pm »
+3

It means you discard everything from play and draw 5 new cards. After that (in case of throning, you gain card costing up to $6.)
I meant to say, "move to Cleanup phase" has a lot of problems. For example,
Golem to reveal Tradesman, Herald, Tradesman to move to Cleanup, I must play Herald, ...
The clause does not stop playing cards completely. Even in other player's turn, you can play cards if allowed(Caravan Guard) or forced(1st Throne Room). The rule will be too complicated. Villa is ok because it is easy to understand.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 05:34:48 am »
+1

I meant to say, "move to Cleanup phase" has a lot of problems. For example,
Golem to reveal Tradesman, Herald, Tradesman to move to Cleanup, I must play Herald, ...
The clause does not stop playing cards completely. Even in other player's turn, you can play cards if allowed(Caravan Guard) or forced(1st Throne Room). The rule will be too complicated. Villa is ok because it is easy to understand.

When you crown a Horn of Plenty and you gain a villa with your first HoP, your secokd HoP is olayed during your action phase. Nothing confusing about that.

So if golem reveals tradesman-herald, the herald is played with a new hand in hand during your clean up phase. You follow all the necessary and mandatory instructions. So suppose you reveal a smithy with that herald. Well, now you have 8 cards ik hand. Not too bad to start your next turn. Let's hope there isn't a militia.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:12:54 am »
+1

How about

Tradesman ($4 Action)
Gain a card costing up to $6, then you can't buy or gain anything this turn.

It has a few minor differences. You can still trash and attack mainly, and many other edge case differences.

Tradesman ($4 Action)
Gain a card costing up to $6, then you can't play cards this turn.

This one still lets you use money you have in play. Maybe combined?

Tradesman ($4 Action)
Gain a card costing up to $6, then you can't buy, gain, trash, or play anything this turn.

Too wordy IMO. I still like the original version, maybe just change it a bit?

Tradesman ($4 Action)
Gain a card costing up to $6. If you did, skip to your Clean-up phase then end your turn.

I think since Caravan guard explicitly has to let you play it out of turn, any cards you might still need to play (via Golem) would just try to play itself then fail because it's not your turn.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:01:32 am »
+1

How about
Tradesman
cost $4 - Action
At the start of Clean-up this turn, if you gained no card in this turn, gain a card costing up to $6.
or
Tradesman
cost $4 - Action
You draw no card in this turn’s Clean-up phase.
Gain a card costing up to $6.
?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 02:11:24 pm »
+2

My suggestion for Tradesman:

Tradesman
Action -
Gain a card costing up to . Discard your hand and lose all your .

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 04:13:14 pm »
+1

I would ditch the Bounty Hunter mechanic or give your opponent a choice to avoid it. Just denyin their village every turn just makes them unable to kickoff ever.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 05:36:48 pm »
+1

My suggestion for Tradesman:

Tradesman
Action -
Gain a card costing up to . Discard your hand and lose all your .
I like it. The only thing I don't like is the interaction with Coin tokens, and more importantly Alms.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 04:00:39 pm »
+1

Tons of great input, thanks everyone! I'll upload the pics again when I think I have the cards working how I want them to.
Gain a Copper, a Silver and a Gold. Put one, chosen at random, into your hand.

I'm nixing this card for now, you guys are right that huge treasure heavy decks aren't fun.
The player to your left looks at the top 5 cards of your deck and separates them into a face-up pile and a face-down pile. Put one into your hand and discard the rest. If you take the smaller pile, +1 Action

I made the action harder to get to lower its power, and differentiate it from the actual card named advisor (though now its pretty similar to Envoy). Also gets a wording change. This card might have to get canned for how much time it takes up but I really like the idea so I'm going to try it out.
Discard any number of cards. Take a Coin token for each card discarded this way.

Increased cost from $3 to $4 and changed the wording. I can't see myself paying $5 for this but we'll see.
+2 Cards. Reveal a card from your hand. Each other player discards a copy of it (or reveals a hand with no copies of it). Each player who discards a copy of it draws a card.

Minor improvement on the wording and now all players who had to discard the revealed card draw a card to replace it. Will this do enough to prevent locks? I like the uniqueness of it but I'll change it if its still to strong. You and an opponent have to have bought the same cards and have to both have them in hand for this to work. I'm not convinced its too strong (except maybe in multiples).
+1 Action, +1 Buy, Take a coin token. Name a card. Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Put the named cards into your hand and discard the rest.

Now you reveal 2 instead of 3 and +$1 changes to 'take a coin token' to separate this further from Market and Mystic. I have limited experience with coin tokens so I'm not sure if these changes lowers the power level or raise it. Thoughts?
You may choose an Action card in your hand and play it twice. You may trash Royal Hall. If you do, play that Action an additional time.

Minor wording changes. I didn't change "you may trash Royal Hall" to "you may trash this" because I was afraid there would be confusion over whether "this" was Royal Hall or the chosen action.
Trash this card. Gain 3 cards each costing up to $4.

No longer an attack (oops) and changed the art  ;D
+$1. Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put 2 into your hand and discard the rest.

Wording changes and cost increase from $3 to $4
Gain a card costing up to $6, then you can't gain or buy anything this turn.

I like the idea if Tradesman being the ultimate terminal action, but I think this wording is clean. I'm unclean what happens when I try to gain a card after playing this though? Can I not play workshop or do I play it and I just can't gain the card? I'm unsure on the cost but I'm don't think getting 2 of these from a 3/4 slit will be OP since you can only play one a turn and Its no good late game when you want to be getting provinces.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:25:06 pm by MattLee »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 04:25:09 pm »
+2

Safe: The main problem is it floods your deck with Treasure. What if you only gained the one you put in your hand? You could even make it:
Randomly choose a Treasure in the supply costing up to $6. Gain a copy of it to your hand.
Consultant: Too weak compared to Envoy. Maybe 6 cards revealed?
Foreign Market: A motley assortment of effects. Since the draw and coins are slightly different, why just make all the effects different:
Take a Coin token.
If this is the first time you played a Foreign Market this turn, +3 Actions.
Name a card, then reveal the top 2 cards of your deck and put the named cards into your hand.
-----
While this is in play, when you buy a card costing $4 or more, +1 Buy.
so this way it gives you all the vanilla bonuses, except weirder. Maybe a $6 now though.
Royal Hall should say "this". It's pretty clear and makes more sense with Overlord or BoM.
Tradesman should be $4 still. Opening with 2 is a big problem. Also, it should probably say "you can't buy anything this turn" to stop Events.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:27 am »
+1

I didn't play it but you guys are right about Safe so I dropped it. I upped the cost of tradesman and I'm thinking of trying this wording on Consultant.

Consultant (Advisor)
The player to your left looks at the top 5 cards of your deck and separates them into a face-up pile and a face-down pile. Put one into your hand and discard the rest. If you take the smaller pile, +1 Action

Adding the +1 Action to the smaller pile seems fun but will probably make players think harder about the decisions  :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:40:34 am by MattLee »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 03:11:35 pm »
+1

Royal Hall (Action, )
You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
You may trash this, to play it for times instead.

So, I just thought of this. Wat do you guys think? The wording should probably be changed, but is the concept cool?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 03:15:02 pm »
+2

Too cheap for the effect it does imo.

More general, it has the king's court problem: it's so obvious when it' good, that there is little strategy involved. I tend to shy away from those cards.

(Unless playtesting reveals that's it not, obvious, but still.)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »
+1

So it's better than City Quarter? If anything I thought it might be too expensive.

More general, it has the king's court problem: it's so obvious when it' good, that there is little strategy involved. I tend to shy away from those cards.
Is it? A throne room for is really bad, so you need to trash it some time to get the full effect. And when to trash it doesn't seem obvious at all.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 03:23:29 pm »
+1

So it's better than City Quarter? If anything I thought it might be too expensive.

Is it? A throne room for is really bad, so you need to trash it some time to get the full effect. And when to trash it doesn't seem obvious at all.

I also think City Quarter is too cheap for it's effect. The mitigating factor with city quarter is that if you buy it early, it's like a village (draw 1 card, lol.) But when you have an engine rolling, city quarter is an absolute beast. Too beasty for my taste, but, well, it exists so I use it.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 11:20:06 pm »
+1

Royal Hall (Action, )

Super cool. If I were playing it (or to a lesser extent my original), I'd probably save it until the game is near an end and trash it for an explosive last turn.

I've still haven't played with Empires so I won't even try to take a guess at price.

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 03:52:34 am »
+1

Royal Hall (Action, )

So, I just thought of this. Wat do you guys think? The wording should probably be changed, but is the concept cool?
How about:
"Play an Action card from your hand twice.
You may trash this, to play it twice again."

This would make the card stronger as you would decide whether to trash it after already having throned the card.
I have no idea about the strength. Is it worthwhile to trash this early on, e.g. to quadruple a junker? That key question seems to make the card interesting for a TR variant.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:14 am »

Yeah. It still seems weak, but strong enough to work. Could the cost be <7> maybe? I like Weety4's buff
You may play an Action card from your hand twice, then you may trash this, to play it twice again.

Or if that is way too weak maybe this:

You may play an Action card from your hand twice, then you may trash this, to choose one: Play that card twice again, or gain a copy of that card and an Action costing less than it.

So it's either a super KC or a super Disciple. For now, I think I'll just do weety4's version.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 11:18:26 pm »
+1

Thanks for the input guys!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:51:11 am by MattLee »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 21 queries.