Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: what computer should I buy?  (Read 1959 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
what computer should I buy?
« on: December 26, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »

hello Dominion Strategy Forum,

I know almost nothing of computers despite being a grown human. I need a new laptop. What would you recommend? I am not a big gamer except for online Dominion, and I don't need graphics. I know basic unix commands. I am cheap.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: what computer should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 01:58:43 pm »

What are you going to do with the laptop and what's your budget?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »

What are you going to do with the laptop and what's your budget?

play Dominion, write little python scripts, surf the web, watch tv. Budget is flexible; for faster performance I'd be willing to pay extra. Probably something light is nice.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 04:34:30 pm »
+2

Sounds like almost any bare-bones netbook would be good enough for you, honestly. No need to break the bank. Get an SSD if you want.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »
+3

Yeah, I'd focus on making sure that it's a quality product (i.e. not Acer) and not overpriced for what it is (i.e. not Apple). I would personally look to buy something with a 64-bit system and at least 4 GB RAM for about $300-$500, and read reviews online to make sure that it doesn't have any problems related to things like the fan or other hardware the computer has but isn't usually mentioned in the specs (mostly, you can stay safe in that regard by not buying Acer). For instance, my parents used to have an Acer laptop which had a fan which had an unusual tendency to get dirty and so full of dust it would cause the computer to heat so much that the touchpad would start clicking on its own (as a side note, I swear half the stupid things I did on Facebook as a teenager was really just that touchpad doing whatever it wanted while I was afk), so avoid that kind of stuff.

Also, you should look up CPU benchmarks on Google and compare them with whatever experience you have had with previous computers to give you some kind of an idea whether or not the processor is good enough, but most modern processors can probably handle all of that stuff just fine. Also, depending on how much extra you would have to spend and how much you care, it might be a good idea to buy a laptop that has, say, 4 GB of RAM but it can be upgraded to 6 or 8, or if you want to cut on the expenses instead, you could buy a laptop with 2 GB of RAM that can be upgraded to 3 or 4 — doing it that way is generally a lot safer because you're not risking overspending on extra RAM you don't really need, and you're not risking buying an entire laptop that isn't good enough for your purposes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 05:15:45 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 10:25:16 pm »
+1

It sounds like you want a "budget laptop". The Wirecutter has a fairly good guide here.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/how-to-buy-a-budget-laptop/

They like Acers, which is contrary to Awalcus's preference, but as the article says, at the price you're looking at, every choice has flaws.

Chris-is-me suggested a netbook, which I wouldn't recommend. I used to have one, but that section of the market got eaten alive by tablets and what's left is not impressive to me. If you need something that's tiny and not a tablet, and you can do just the Web, maybe a Chromebook is fine. A budget laptop sacrifices the fancy portability engineering for inexpensive parts, and as a result it's larger.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 11:14:38 pm »
+1

I'm still a pretty big fan of Lenovo machines. While I use the workstations that are in the $5-10k price range I've gotten a couple people in my family the $500 ranged machines and they've been quite happy with them. The quality isn't quite what it was when they were IBM but they are still head and shoulders over everyone but some of the more purpose built machines like Alienware or Boxx.

Tldr; Lenovo is not the cheapest but is likely the best quality and value. Also, they are Linux friendly and can ship without a Microsoft tax.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 04:13:59 am »
+2

It sounds like you want a "budget laptop". The Wirecutter has a fairly good guide here.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/how-to-buy-a-budget-laptop/

They like Acers, which is contrary to Awalcus's preference, but as the article says, at the price you're looking at, every choice has flaws.

Chris-is-me suggested a netbook, which I wouldn't recommend. I used to have one, but that section of the market got eaten alive by tablets and what's left is not impressive to me. If you need something that's tiny and not a tablet, and you can do just the Web, maybe a Chromebook is fine. A budget laptop sacrifices the fancy portability engineering for inexpensive parts, and as a result it's larger.

Well, this is what the article says about the Acer:

"The Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG is the best budget laptop if you can afford to spend around $550. It has everything your main computer should have: a speedy processor, plenty of memory, a good keyboard and trackpad, and current-generation Wi-Fi. Plus, the 53VG model we like has a few rare bonuses—a solid-state drive, a dedicated graphics card, and a 1080p screen—that make it stand out from other cheap Windows laptops like a unicorn in a field of donkeys. If you click the button here to buy, and the total price is around $550 for a Core i5-6200U processor, 8 GB of RAM, a 256GB solid-state drive, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 940MX graphics card, go for it. This is by far the best Windows laptop for the price."

It's basically just the specs of the computer. Acer computers have always had amazingly good specs for the price, and the reason why that's possible is that everything other than the specs in them is garbage. It's true that every choice has flaws; as someone else but I forgot who put it, "you get to choose two out of these three options: cheap price, good specs, and having a computer that actually works. Choosing Acer is choosing the first two".
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:16:02 am by Awaclus »

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 10:13:07 am »

thanks to all!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.563 seconds with 20 queries.