Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mutually Assured Destruction  (Read 2334 times)

jamuspsi

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Mutually Assured Destruction
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:41:06 pm »

I just played the first game I think was worthy of a post.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/06/game-20120206-113145-f40b4517.html

Cards were alchemist, council room, courtyard, familiar, island, loan, possession, potion, salvager, scheme, and shanty town.

I lucked out early with a 6th turn possession, using his council room plus my courtyard.  I immediately stacked schemes and cycled possession into almost every turn of the game from there on.

Familiar junked our decks hard, and we both made the mistake of Loaning our coppers to dangerously low levels.  I played round after round of possession, abusing his council room to give myself extra cards, his salvager for money.  I set aside his council room with an island.

Though I bought silvers and a gold, he had managed to nail me with enough familiars that I took 7 of the curses.  I didn't want to risk losing turns in a low-action game trashing them, and figured I could turn the tables with my nonstop possession spam as soon as he built an engine of anything.

Spoiler alert: he didn't. I didn't realize until he painstakingly cleared the estates what he was doing.  With neither of our decks could I manage above, say, $4.  I made a last ditch effort to snag some duchies, but it was too late- he emptied the courtyards with the +buy from salvager, and won on stacks.

There's a lesson to be learned here, but damned if I see it.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
Re: Mutually Assured Destruction
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »

I played round after round of possession, abusing his council room to give myself extra cards, his salvager for money.  I set aside his council room with an island.

There's a lesson to be learned here, but damned if I see it.

The lesson:  if you're relying on Possession, and your opponent's deck contains a card that benefits your own hand whan you force him to play it, don't strip that card permanently out of your opponent's deck.

jamuspsi

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:29 pm »

At that point I had started to realize how messed up my own deck was, and was afraid his council room would pull him too far ahead of me with a lucky buy.  But you're right, that was probably the wrong move, especially because by that point he was grabbing estates.

Tahtweasel

• Navigator
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »

The lesson is that the game gets very weird once someone hits the threshold of >1.0 possessions played per turn.

It's possible to have an endless game with, say, Farming Village/Chapel/Possession.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:41 pm »
+1

The lesson to learn:  A crappy deck is the best defense against Possession.  Since you were focusing almost all of your attention on your Possessions instead of the rest of your deck, he could focus on buying cheap cards, which had the advantage of making his deck slightly worse (with Estates, not Courtyards).

One of the things about Possession is that your own deck must be good enough to grab green as well.  If your own deck is nothing but Possessions, you'll basically mirror your opponent.  Even worse here is the presence of Courtyard, which he can use against you.  Since he knows you'll likely Possess every turn, he can top-deck green cards, making his hands bad when you use them.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:55:21 pm »

When you're using scheme on terminal actions with no +action cards in the deck you need to cut down on the number of terminal actions, preferably to just 1 if you're flooding your deck with schemes. By turn 7 you'd bought a possession, 2 courtyards, an island, and a scheme.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:05:46 pm »

Shanty Town gives +Actions... could have used some of those?

jamuspsi

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:54:01 pm »

Even worse here is the presence of Courtyard, which he can use against you.  Since he knows you'll likely Possess every turn, he can top-deck green cards, making his hands bad when you use them.

You know I actually missed that, and it totally makes sense.  Thanks for the clarity.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.