Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Artificer  (Read 4048 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Artificer
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:13:00 am »
+1

(Re-posted here because it is an article)

Okay, so Artificer. Artificer is neat; nice name, cool mechanics, and not really hated by anyone. But I’m not here to tell you why I like Artificer. I’m here to tell you why I think it is one of the best cards in Adventures. We will start by looking at this versatile card’s many uses, and then talk about when to get Artificer and what to get with it.

Artificer as a Gainer

Artificer’s main strength lies in its versatility. However, the most obvious use for this guy is as a gainer. The topdecking ability means you can just discard 5 Coppers instead of playing them and get to use that Mountebank (or just another Artificer) next turn (or even this turn, if you have more draw). Being able to quickly acquire engine components is vital early game, and often gives you a huge edge on those first few turns.

Artificer as a +Buy

Though Artificer is a gainer, it can also function as a source of +Buy. Say you have an Artificer in play and  from 4 Coppers and a Silver. You can discard it all to topdeck a , spend it all on a , or split it by discarding some and saving some for your buy phase. Additionally, with enough draw it’s entirely feasible to discard 8 or 11 cards to land that Colony or Province. Once you start greening, you can discard dead cards to get more VP or keep you engine running by also gaining Action cards.

Artificer as a Sifter/Enabler

The third and perhaps most subtle use for Artificer is a sifter and enabler. Remember, you don’t need to gain anything for discarding. Enabling Tunnels, Menageries, or Coppers for Counting House is useful, not mention that since it says “gain a card costing  per card discarded”, with cost reduction, you can gain stuff without discarding anything, or just gain Copper if you need them. Draw-to-X is also great, and you can even trigger it repeatedly in a turn with enough Artificers.

Case Study: Artificer/Menagerie

While none of Artificer’s abilities are groundbreaking by themselves, it is when they can be used together that Artificer becomes a power card. It’s synergy with Menagerie is a case in point: Discard duplicates to gain Menageries (or Artificers) while enabling you other Menageries to draw more. While any sifter can do this, Artificer has the added advantage of actually gaining the combo components while sifting. Once you draw lots of cards, you don’t need to worry about a lack of +Buy, because Artificer has that base covered, too.

When it’s hot

So when is Artificer good? Since it is so versatile, it’s almost always useful to some extent, but Kingdoms with no gainers or +Buys really let Artificer shine. The presence of cantrips or Peddler variants also boosts Artificer, as you can quickly acquire them and play them.

When it’s not

Regardless, there are circumstances when Artificer is not a good option. It is almost completely useless in Big Money (which is why this article has no section on it), and kingdoms with good trashing mean you have nothing to discard. Likewise, handsize reduction attacks like Goons or Militia really hurt, as it makes gaining those key s harder with fewer cards in hand.

Summing it up

In conclusion, Artificer is an often underrated but very strong card. It’s worth considering on most boards, and the key card more often that it would seem. It’s versatility ensures that it can perform well in a variety of roles, often combining with other cards to be a real power card.

Synergies

Scrying Pool
Counting House
Menagerie
Tunnel
Poor House
Alms
Inheritence
Cantrips and Peddler variants

Antisynergies

Big Money strategies
Strong Trashing
Opponent’s handsize reducers
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Artificer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:19:34 am »

I'm kind of confused what the difference between "Gainer" and "+Buy" is here, seeing as it literally gains cards directly and has nothing to do with the buy phase. "Gaining can be like an extra buy" yeah, but you already have a section on the whole gaining cards thing.

Sifting section should put less emphasis on "plus you can gain a card!", since that was already covered, and more emphasis on "you may", which is easy to miss and allows the gain to be skipped.

Tactician and Ferry warrant mention in synergies.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:21:43 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 10:30:24 am »

I feel like the Highway synergy should be more emphasized.  In certain situations you could empty both piles in the same turn.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:22:54 am »

Got it! Will make changes soon.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 02:43:43 pm »

I am not convinced of the power level you seem to imply Artificer has. It's okay due to being at least a peddler, but without cost reduction or draw-to-X, you need some really strong draw to make use of its gaining.

On another note, I think the article could use an "Artificer in slogs" section.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 07:14:55 pm »

I am not convinced of the power level you seem to imply Artificer has. It's okay due to being at least a peddler, but without cost reduction or draw-to-X, you need some really strong draw to make use of its gaining.

On another note, I think the article could use an "Artificer in slogs" section.

It's strength is the fact that it is so versatile. Many versatile cards rely on their versatility, but as you mentioned, Artificer is still a Peddler without it.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:56:51 pm »
+1

An Artificer can (almost always) gain a $5 card. That's not too shabby.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 06:32:18 pm »

(Before Awaclus can say it...)

But don't you need 5 other cards too?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 05:24:58 am »

(Before Awaclus can say it...)

But don't you need 5 other cards too?

You do need 5 other cards, but those cards aren't doing the gaining so I wouldn't have said that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 04:36:29 am »

As many of your comboes include cards played after Artificer, I would think that Villages are something to list as a combo card.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:47:31 am »

As many of your comboes include cards played after Artificer, I would think that Villages are something to list as a combo card.
Particularly Border Village and University, for Artificer-gaining reasons.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.