Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Subscription pricing & structure  (Read 37666 times)

qalnor

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Subscription pricing & structure
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2017, 09:09:10 am »
+1

Providing pricing in the end users currency would be good - I'm personally unhappy about the pricing model as it becomes _so expensive_ (I'm In Australia, with current exchange rate the $3 a month price actually equals almost $5 a month AUD so over $50 a year)

Considering the pricings for other countries (there are a LOT of other nationalities playing then just europe) and how that compares to their home currency / average incomes etc would be a good idea.

I can _deal_ with $50 a year, but I'd be concerned about countries who don't have amazing exhange rates with the euro who also have a lower average annual income, this would be effectively excluding them from playing.

I... have never heard of a company doing this.  It would be a good way of losing money, I guess?
I think it's pretty normal to sell digital goods & services for different prices depending on region. The reason you do it is that the profit-maximizing price may be different depending on region, such as because of different price sensitivity. ($3/month may not sound expensive in the US/EU/etc., but it may be pretty expensive in developing countries.)

You can do this without losing money because not all of the $3/month is used to pay server costs. Making up numbers, imagine that $0.10/month goes to server upkeep and the remaining $2.90/month is used to pay for continuing development (and kept as profit if that cost is met). Then you can price anywhere up of $0.10/month without losing money on the servers, and you just need to make sure that over your entire userbase (which includes all regions, not just the poor ones), you make enough to pay for development.

I'd go further than that. The server costs might be $.10 per person per month, but the additional cost of adding a user to the server is likely much less than $.10 a month, so even if someone in a developing nation is only paying something over that cost there's the  possibility of profit.

That said, I don't know what the contract specifies, there may be a flat per-set/user royalty rather than a % of earnings. That would tend to make sense to me unless the money involved here is large enough to make the cost of annual financial audits a minor expense -- so there may be a cost per-user that doesn't fit into pure financial logic.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2017, 03:03:22 pm »
+1

I've been playing since somewhere around 10/2014. I haven't been around since the beginning, obviously, but I wouldn't call myself a newcomer either.

I'm not really sure, though, why the money I spent on buying a flawed product means that when the company who relicenses the product gets to sell it to me a second time without letting me continue to use the old product. I can see a few valid arguments if they want to push me towards buying in on their new game:

- Don't let me have anything in the new game, but let me continue to play on the old version.
- Let me play with the old cards on the new version, but completely block me from using new cards if I don't buy a full subscription

But the idea of licensing a company to sell a product and then taking that product away with a gesture isn't really what I would consider fair play.
Making fun had only a limited license, period. They pretended that wasn't the case but it was clear from the beginning that they cannot actually promise to offer anything beyond that date. They didn't make it clear when selling you your product, but as a matter of fact you didn't buy lifetime rights to use that cards. They just pretended that would be the case.
It was not "taking away a license with a gesture" but rather "Using their legitimate right to not extend an expiring license at an agreed expiration date due to customer unfriendly policies of the other party".
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

IanP

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2017, 08:44:12 am »
+3

Providing pricing in the end users currency would be good - I'm personally unhappy about the pricing model as it becomes _so expensive_ (I'm In Australia, with current exchange rate the $3 a month price actually equals almost $5 a month AUD so over $50 a year)

Considering the pricings for other countries (there are a LOT of other nationalities playing then just europe) and how that compares to their home currency / average incomes etc would be a good idea.

I can _deal_ with $50 a year, but I'd be concerned about countries who don't have amazing exhange rates with the euro who also have a lower average annual income, this would be effectively excluding them from playing.

Why is is that so many Australians do not understand currency???

The minimum age in Australia is $17.70 per hour (UK£10.27.  In the UK is is £6.70 per hour (equivalent to AU$11.45).

UK average annual income is £26,500 = AU$45,050
Australian average annual income is A$81,947 = UK£47,529

Exchange rates from XE.com, average incomes from Google.

20m Australians, but do any of them understand that because their dollar buys fewer pounds than the dollars they exchange that they are not worse off?

Given their higher minimum wage, and higher average earnings, Australians should be paying more to play Dominion!!!

Mypaltheelf

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2017, 09:29:49 am »

Ok, I play with my three boys, we paid our dues and now play for free.

I have all the expansions, they do not.
So if we continue to play, I pay .30 per month and they pay $10 a month
That is $30 x 12 or $360 per year?????

COME ON NOW!!!!!!  How can that be worth it? 

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2017, 10:06:03 am »
+3

You can still share your expansions with people at your table.

I don't see where you're getting $10 from, a gold subscription (which includes all expansions) is about $3 a month.
Also note that you will get a free subscription to all the expansions you had on MF for a year (unless you only got them there after they changed to a subscription system). You should be receiving an email on how to get this once we have resolved ur issues with sending emails.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2017, 03:23:05 pm »
+1

Ok, I play with my three boys, we paid our dues and now play for free.

I have all the expansions, they do not.

Even though Watno already said this, I want to make sure everyone sees this:

If you subscribe to N expansions, people playing against you can also play with those expansions, even if they aren't subscribers.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:56 pm »

Australians should be paying more to play Dominion!!!

Shh. We just want to be noticed.

Mypaltheelf

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2017, 06:59:58 pm »

So, We have two with multiple expansions, three without (wife)  (I saw a 10 euro price somewhere)

What is the cost for me to play with my wife and three sons?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »

So, We have two with multiple expansions, three without (wife)  (I saw a 10 euro price somewhere)

Nothing in 2017 (to play with the expansions you already have) and 3€/month (to play with the expansions that currently exist) after that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:01 pm »

Nothing in 2017 (to play with the expansions you already have) and 3€/month (to play with the expansions that currently exist) after that.

And another 30 cents (eurocents?) a month to get Empires.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2017, 06:47:34 am »

You can see the exact prizes by logging into the game and going to the Store tab, or use the information in the opening post of this thread to calculate them.

Mypaltheelf

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2017, 01:23:43 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT DO I PAY FOR MY WIFE, SON 1, SON2, SON 3??????  WHO JUST HAVE THE BASIC SET?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2017, 01:25:08 pm »
+2

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT DO I PAY FOR MY WIFE, SON 1, SON2, SON 3??????  WHO JUST HAVE THE BASIC SET?

NOTHING AS LONG AS YOU ARE SUBSCRIBED TO THE EXPANSIONS THAT YOU ALL WANT TO PLAY WITH AND YOU ARE PLAYING IN ALL OF THE GAMES!!!!!!!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »
+1

Nothing, dude! You pay nothing! As long as you host the games, they can use your cards!

Mypaltheelf

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2017, 03:56:00 pm »

So, what does my son pay, what does my wife pay? Also nothing?

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2017, 03:57:26 pm »

If the person who pays to have all the expansions hosts the table, anyone on that table can play with all the cards for free.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2017, 04:09:40 pm »
+3

2017:
You pay: nothing (or 0.30€/month if you want Empires)
Your sons and your wife pay: nothing

2018+:
You pay: 3€/month
Your sons and your wife pay: nothing

But you have to host all the games.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:10:50 pm by Awaclus »

vintermann

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2017, 05:09:22 pm »

Man, they're giving you, essentially, 40 bucks.  I think that's pretty much the opposite of terrible, given they never saw any of the money that went to MF.

Sure, they didn't but Jay and Donald hopefully did (unless MF/Goko screwed them over totally). Didn't Donald say that earlier purchases would be honored? They could just say to ShuffleIT, "we won't demand royalties on the expansions people already paid for in earlier incarnations of Dominion Online".

I don't play nearly enough to justify a subscription cost. I would pay the price of, say, a good full price Steam game, for a new implementation of Dominion. But it sucks to have to pay for the licenses all over again.

This business model is screaming "casual players not wanted!". Apropos steam games, my library of little-played/unplayed steam games suggests that casual-hostile pricing policies may not be the best policy.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2017, 05:26:00 pm »

Man, they're giving you, essentially, 40 bucks.  I think that's pretty much the opposite of terrible, given they never saw any of the money that went to MF.

Sure, they didn't but Jay and Donald hopefully did (unless MF/Goko screwed them over totally). Didn't Donald say that earlier purchases would be honored? They could just say to ShuffleIT, "we won't demand royalties on the expansions people already paid for in earlier incarnations of Dominion Online".

I don't play nearly enough to justify a subscription cost. I would pay the price of, say, a good full price Steam game, for a new implementation of Dominion. But it sucks to have to pay for the licenses all over again.

This business model is screaming "casual players not wanted!". Apropos steam games, my library of little-played/unplayed steam games suggests that casual-hostile pricing policies may not be the best policy.

I agree with this. I play sometimes, but it is a lot to spend if I play rarely.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2017, 05:47:06 pm »

(unless MF/Goko screwed them over totally)

That did kind of happen.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »
+9

I'm very confused by this. Buying it outright is expensive if you only play rarely. Subscription is much cheaper if you only play rarely. You can pay a dollar and then play all you want for the next week. If you wanted to do that on MF, the exact same playtime would have cost you $80. subscription is only more expensive if you play a lot; like every month for 3 years.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2017, 11:47:36 pm »

Sure, they didn't but Jay and Donald hopefully did (unless MF/Goko screwed them over totally).

My understanding is that at least half the reason for the switch is that Jay and Donald saw almost no income from Goko and MF.  Yeah, they got royally screwed.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2017, 11:49:05 pm »
+1

Alright, since no one has asked it yet, I'll be that guy...

When will I be able to purchase a Platinum subscription?
Potion subscription is where it's it, but that's only good for a few cards!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2017, 08:00:07 am »

Alright, since no one has asked it yet, I'll be that guy...

When will I be able to purchase a Platinum subscription?
Potion subscription is where it's it, but that's only good for a few cards!

Yeah but if those potion cards appear in a game and you didn't get potion subscription, you can't buy them and are screwed!
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:25 am »
+1

I think what misleads people about this is that the term subscription implies a recurring fee. It doesn’t actually recur here! You are actually only paying for fixed blocks of time, and you have to opt in to paying again. This is what makes it cheaper.

Say you get into Dominion for a week every 3 months. You can pay roughly $2 for access to all the cards for a week or so (the pricing includes a fixed transaction fee, so that you are slightly incentivized to pay for more at once, but ignore that for a bit). That would be like, $8 a year. Compared to the $48 cost of Dominion on Goko, and especially compared to the $100 cost on MF, you need to play for six years (or twelve years!) at that rate for it to cost you more. You spend more on a single take out meal than you’d spend on Dominion all year this way.

And you don’t even have to plan how often you get into Dominion and do this on some schedule - all you have to know at the time of purchase is how long you want to pay for, until you either lose interest or are willing to pay the small transaction fee again to extend. You can be as conservative as you wish.

The only way this ends up costing you more (as a new player, compared to Goko and MF) is if you play for more than 1.5/3 consecutive years. At which point, you’re supporting an online service, that sort of makes sense.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 22 queries.