Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Subscription pricing & structure  (Read 37673 times)

David

• Steward
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Subscription pricing & structure
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2016, 01:10:22 pm »
+1

Will you accept Bitcoin?  :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2016, 02:28:18 pm »
+1

Will you accept Bitcoin?  :)

No, but they'll accept Dogecoin.  So crypto!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

qalnor

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2016, 06:54:21 pm »

If you "owned" any expansions on Making Fun, you will get a subscription to those expansions for free in 2017.

I'm glad to hear that our purchases will be honored for 2017... But does this imply that this won't be the case past 2017?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2016, 07:50:57 pm »

If you "owned" any expansions on Making Fun, you will get a subscription to those expansions for free in 2017.

I'm glad to hear that our purchases will be honored for 2017... But does this imply that this won't be the case past 2017?
That's more or less correct.

qalnor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2016, 11:57:43 am »

That's more or less completely terrible.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2016, 02:15:07 pm »
+6

Man, they're giving you, essentially, 40 bucks.  I think that's pretty much the opposite of terrible, given they never saw any of the money that went to MF.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 06:05:11 am »

Well, of course you are entitled to your opinion. If you had suffered through the current botched implementation from the start you might have a different view of things (I'm assuming that you are a relative new comer).

I for one am very happy to see the end of the misbegotten abomination that started as Goko Dominion and morphed into Making Fun Dominion. Although after years of development it had finally reached "playable" it never got anywhere near being a pleasure to play. I'm looking forward to the new version and if it is as good as I hope/expect I won't mind paying for it at all.

PS. The rights and wrongs of having to pay for a new implementation of Dominion if you want to keep playing Dominion Online after the year have been rehashed in several other threads - not saying you can't raise it again - just explaining why it may not generate much discussion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2016, 06:57:30 am »
+2

If you founded a new company with the idea of selling a product, would you hand out that product for free just because people paid an entirely different company for a similar product in the past? Because that's what Shuffle iT is basically doing right now, and what you're doing is complaining that they aren't handing out even more free stuff than they already are.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2016, 07:45:18 am »
+3

Well, it _is_ terrible that Goko/MF did not make it clear that they would no longer be able to provide the service once their license expired. ShuffleIT is obviously not at fault because of having nothing to do with that, but blaming Goko/MF seems fair to me.

(Personally, I bought into Goko with the expectation that it might go out of business in a year or two, so by making it all the way to license expiry, it exceeded that bar.)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2016, 08:13:17 am »
+1

Well, it _is_ terrible that Goko/MF did not make it clear that they would no longer be able to provide the service once their license expired. ShuffleIT is obviously not at fault because of having nothing to do with that, but blaming Goko/MF seems fair to me.

(Personally, I bought into Goko with the expectation that it might go out of business in a year or two, so by making it all the way to license expiry, it exceeded that bar.)

They did write that, though. It's not their fault nobody reads their Terms of Use (or any other), ever.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2016, 10:41:09 am »
+1

I understand the frustrations of people just learning they invested in a product that is about to disappear.

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Enjoy your year of free Dominion (or like 30 cents a month Dominion if you upgrade to Empires)

2. If after a year you don't think the new Dominion is so much better, it's worth paying $3 a month for, then don't do that.

I think after a few weeks with the new client, seeing the speed of development, the array of new features, and the responsive support, you'll understand the benefits of a more sustainable business model for the developers.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2016, 09:12:17 pm »
+1

Oh wow, it is so nice to hear that these two are making a new online dominion service. Maybe I should take up the hobby again.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2016, 03:57:58 am »
+1

Oh wow, it is so nice to hear that these two are making a new online dominion service. Maybe I should take up the hobby again.

You totally should! It's nice to see you again.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 09:28:00 am »
+3

Well you *do* need a hobby...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2016, 11:31:27 am »
+3

Are you suggesting I give cookie clicker another chance?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:51 am »

Not until orteil puts out another update.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2016, 11:59:40 am »

Actually, I believe the new online Dominion service is going to be Dominion Clicker.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2016, 12:04:32 pm »

Actually, I believe the new online Dominion service is going to be Dominion Clicker.

Online Dominion has been Dominion Clicker since Goko. The new version is just kind of like an upgrade that does some of the clicking for you.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2016, 12:05:03 pm »

Every time you click on Scout you get 7 quintillion Zaps.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2016, 12:09:02 pm »
+1

Every time you click on Scout you get 7 quintillion Zaps.

Still not worth it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »
+1

Scout

What's that? Do you mean Scouting Party?

Thera

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »
+1

Providing pricing in the end users currency would be good - I'm personally unhappy about the pricing model as it becomes _so expensive_ (I'm In Australia, with current exchange rate the $3 a month price actually equals almost $5 a month AUD so over $50 a year)

Considering the pricings for other countries (there are a LOT of other nationalities playing then just europe) and how that compares to their home currency / average incomes etc would be a good idea.

I can _deal_ with $50 a year, but I'd be concerned about countries who don't have amazing exhange rates with the euro who also have a lower average annual income, this would be effectively excluding them from playing.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2016, 04:12:43 pm »
+2

Providing pricing in the end users currency would be good - I'm personally unhappy about the pricing model as it becomes _so expensive_ (I'm In Australia, with current exchange rate the $3 a month price actually equals almost $5 a month AUD so over $50 a year)

Considering the pricings for other countries (there are a LOT of other nationalities playing then just europe) and how that compares to their home currency / average incomes etc would be a good idea.

I can _deal_ with $50 a year, but I'd be concerned about countries who don't have amazing exhange rates with the euro who also have a lower average annual income, this would be effectively excluding them from playing.

I... have never heard of a company doing this.  It would be a good way of losing money, I guess?

qalnor

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »

Well, of course you are entitled to your opinion. If you had suffered through the current botched implementation from the start you might have a different view of things (I'm assuming that you are a relative new comer).

I for one am very happy to see the end of the misbegotten abomination that started as Goko Dominion and morphed into Making Fun Dominion. Although after years of development it had finally reached "playable" it never got anywhere near being a pleasure to play. I'm looking forward to the new version and if it is as good as I hope/expect I won't mind paying for it at all.

PS. The rights and wrongs of having to pay for a new implementation of Dominion if you want to keep playing Dominion Online after the year have been rehashed in several other threads - not saying you can't raise it again - just explaining why it may not generate much discussion.

I've been playing since somewhere around 10/2014. I haven't been around since the beginning, obviously, but I wouldn't call myself a newcomer either.

I'm not really sure, though, why the money I spent on buying a flawed product means that when the company who relicenses the product gets to sell it to me a second time without letting me continue to use the old product. I can see a few valid arguments if they want to push me towards buying in on their new game:

- Don't let me have anything in the new game, but let me continue to play on the old version.
- Let me play with the old cards on the new version, but completely block me from using new cards if I don't buy a full subscription

But the idea of licensing a company to sell a product and then taking that product away with a gesture isn't really what I would consider fair play.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2016, 05:50:57 pm »
+3

I... have never heard of a company doing this.  It would be a good way of losing money, I guess?
I think it's pretty normal to sell digital goods & services for different prices depending on region. The reason you do it is that the profit-maximizing price may be different depending on region, such as because of different price sensitivity. ($3/month may not sound expensive in the US/EU/etc., but it may be pretty expensive in developing countries.)

You can do this without losing money because not all of the $3/month is used to pay server costs. Making up numbers, imagine that $0.10/month goes to server upkeep and the remaining $2.90/month is used to pay for continuing development (and kept as profit if that cost is met). Then you can price anywhere up of $0.10/month without losing money on the servers, and you just need to make sure that over your entire userbase (which includes all regions, not just the poor ones), you make enough to pay for development.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.