Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Betrayal at House on the Hill  (Read 1462 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Betrayal at House on the Hill
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:32:08 pm »

I got the expansion for Betrayal at House on the Hill for cheap. Now I need to get back to playing it. I have been putting it off since I know the haunts from 1st edition needed updating. Looks like there's a lovely 150-page document on BGG that has all of the haunts. I suppose I don't need to print this off since so many of us have smart phones.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Betrayal at House on the Hill
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:59:34 pm »

I played the expansion at bgg.con. There's suggested rules that you can use to make sure you get a new haunt from the expansion instead of one of the old ones. Also, do you have the first or second edition of the base game? If it's the second edition, then there aren't updates to the haunts are far as I know; it contains the already-updated versions.

*Edit* Just realized that you said 1st edition in your post. So yeah, there's a few tweaks to the haunts (and rules) that came with it. I dunno about the giant BGG document, but you can download the updated haunt books from Avalon Hill directly, along with the FAQ. I keep those in my Betrayal box.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:00:49 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 08:20:46 am »

Nice. Yeah, the big ole file from BGG looks like it may have the updates implemented. It looks like the author went through a lot of effort to update this. There are also 20 fan-made haunts along with an updated table to incorporate them. I imagine I can integrate the expansion with the fan-made haunts, but I'd have to keep in mind what it means when getting haunts 51-70 since there are two of them.

I could just make it easy and download the official documents you mentioned.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 02:34:07 pm »
+1

I've played the expansion. It's pretty much just more Betrayal with more variety in haunts. So still the same gross imbalance most of the time, with the game being more of an experience than a legitimate game where everyone feels like they have a reasonable chance of winning. So far of the two games I've played (both new haunts), the traitor felt completely powerless as the heroes were capable of doing so much more to them than they could to the heroes. And in one of those, I was the traitor. I literally never got a chance to attack before I was killed, and my win condition was killing all of the heroes.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.514 seconds with 20 queries.