Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11  All

Author Topic: f.ds Mafia Meetup! (August 9 - 13, Berlin)  (Read 28044 times)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
Re: f.ds Mafia Meetup?
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2017, 09:07:23 am »

I have started a doodle with the different weekends.
Mind that the days don't mean the specific time range (I think we are going to do this longer than just 2 days?) but for the sake of simplicity I have just picked the various weekends.
Just pick every weekend that suits you :)

http://doodle.com/poll/6zv56uzubqhsedmf

I just edited my poll answer because I'm not very sure about 19th August. I can do it if necessary, but my a cappella group want me to be here for rehearsals if possible. I like the "if-need-be" option in doodle polls :-P

So who else is going to fill out the poll? I assume faust and gkrieg? How about other people who've been sounding potentially-interested, like Eevee? :-)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2017, 11:15:39 am »

Mind that the days don't mean the specific time range (I think we are going to do this longer than just 2 days?) but for the sake of simplicity I have just picked the various weekends.

I just edited my poll answer because I'm not very sure about 19th August. I can do it if necessary, but my a cappella group want me to be here for rehearsals if possible. I like the "if-need-be" option in doodle polls :-P

So who else is going to fill out the poll? I assume faust and gkrieg? How about other people who've been sounding potentially-interested, like Eevee? :-)

Sorry still trying to convince my wife. It looks like tickets for us are around $1200 each so convincing is tricky

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2017, 11:50:25 am »

Sorry still trying to convince my wife. It looks like tickets for us are around $1200 each so convincing is tricky

Hey, if you happen to get a better deal flying to Heathrow/Gatwick, you're welcome to come up to Oxford for a stopover on the way to/from Berlin! I couldn't host a whole f.ds meetup at my place, but LaLight and Fargo already demonstrated that I can host a couple :-)

It looks like there are return flights under £100 from LHR/LGW to Berlin in August at the moment, but I expect prices to creep up as summer approaches.
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2017, 02:11:06 am »

Hey, if you happen to get a better deal flying to Heathrow/Gatwick, you're welcome to come up to Oxford for a stopover on the way to/from Berlin! I couldn't host a whole f.ds meetup at my place, but LaLight and Fargo already demonstrated that I can host a couple :-)

It looks like there are return flights under £100 from LHR/LGW to Berlin in August at the moment, but I expect prices to creep up as summer approaches.

That is very nice of you!  I think the problem at this point is that we might be going on another trip with my family in August and it may be not possible for my wife to get 2 weeks off of work in August.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2017, 03:14:18 pm »

Guys, so this is the plan.

I can't go for vacation in the late July. So I m going to go to Europe 1-13 of August. Some of this I spend in Amsterdam, some of this I want to spend with you. I'm flexible talking about what will be first, if you're more okay with first week of August, I will go to Berlin first (though I know faust can't). So what do you think about 8-13th? Also does someone have a place to sleep in or know one which is not expensive? :)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:53 pm »

I guess faust and gkrieg are the ones we're waiting for in terms of dates.

For accommodation, faust said he may be able to put people up, but perhaps a more robust plan is to book an airbnb for a bunch of us? I went to Berlin about a year ago, and the Airbnb I'd booked then was really great. It was a holiday with my parents, we weren't looking at the budget end of the spectrum so much, but the cheaper ones are similar in cost to a hostel, and presumably give us more privacy for playing games and stuff as a group :-) OTOH, I've had airbnb hosts cancel on me at relatively short notice befor... I'll bet it's a lot worse trying to re-book somewhere for a bigger bunch of people, rather than just for me traveling solo.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2017, 05:36:49 pm »

For accommodation, faust said he may be able to put people up, but perhaps a more robust plan is to book an airbnb for a bunch of us? I went to Berlin about a year ago, and the Airbnb I'd booked then was really great. It was a holiday with my parents, we weren't looking at the budget end of the spectrum so much, but the cheaper ones are similar in cost to a hostel, and presumably give us more privacy for playing games and stuff as a group :-) OTOH, I've had airbnb hosts cancel on me at relatively short notice befor... I'll bet it's a lot worse trying to re-book somewhere for a bigger bunch of people, rather than just for me traveling solo.

Well my family is no longer going on vacation in August, so it is more likely that we would be able to come to this.  I'll keep trying to convince my wife.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:16 pm »

True that. tbh I have never used airbnb and don't really know how it works :)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:27 pm »

Well my family is no longer going on vacation in August, so it is more likely that we would be able to come to this.  I'll keep trying to convince my wife.

yay!

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »

We have had wonderful experiences with airbnb in Mexico :)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2017, 07:32:00 pm »

It's really easy... it's just people who have properties in a location renting them out for a while. There's a lot that's just people's spare rooms and stuff, but then there are also entire apartments. The big risk compare to hotels is that I don't think the hosts are penalised a lot for cancelling on guests, so I've had a couple of tense experiences trying to rebook at the last minute after my good-value early booking has fallen through.

Assuming we'll have something like 8 guests, then here's a little selection are some possibilities. I'm assuming that ~£25 per person per night is a reasonable rate, since that's cheaper than most hostels (presumably other people will be shown their local currencies, and the pound is horribly weak compared to the Euro at the moment, so these may look cheaper to people who aren't me!).

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/17811565?checkin=2017-08-08&checkout=2017-08-13&guests=8 -- Suspiciously cheap for what it claims to be, but that might just be because it's a new listing. OTOH, there's probably an even bigger risk of cancellation than an established place, especially if the rates go up between now and August.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/16688037?checkin=2017-08-08&checkout=2017-08-13&guests=8 -- Looks pretty spacious, and works out at £28pppn

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/16970008?checkin=2017-08-08&checkout=2017-08-13&guests=8 -- Just over £30pppn. Crams a bunch of people into each bedroom, but at least there are lots of beds!

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/3521369?guests=12&adults=12&s=XtKzoHfX&check_in=2017-08-08&check_out=2017-08-13 -- if we have a bigger gang of people, this place looks really amazing, but it's not cost-effective for a group of 8 (though still cheaper than a cheap hotel!).

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2017, 07:41:37 pm »

First is indeed suspiciously cheap, especially considering that it is supposed to be located in one of the most trendy neighborhoods of Berlin.

2 & 3 are a bit further out, which may be mildly annoying. Public transport is decent and fairly cheap though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2017, 07:47:24 pm »

Sorry about not being able to give definite answers on availability still. I know it sucks; just be content to know that it sucks even more for me.

Right now the likelihood of me being available from 8-13 August is something like 90%.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2017, 07:55:19 pm »

Sorry about not being able to give definite answers on availability still. I know it sucks; just be content to know that it sucks even more for me.

Right now the likelihood of me being available from 8-13 August is something like 90%.
90% is good enough :-D
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:06 pm »

First is indeed suspiciously cheap, especially considering that it is supposed to be located in one of the most trendy neighborhoods of Berlin.

2 & 3 are a bit further out, which may be mildly annoying. Public transport is decent and fairly cheap though.

Yeah, there are more central places, but they're more costly. I guess it depends on getting a balance between how much we want to hang out as a group and how much we want to be out doing touristy stuff. There are some cheaper hostel places I've found too now, but they don't seem to have kitchens (which is a minus for me, and overall means spending more on food), and they wouldn't have the same privacy to hang out together and play Mafia/Dominoin/stuff.

For travel, I think I had one of these things last time: https://www.berlin-welcomecard.de/en/buy-tickets

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2017, 08:56:36 pm »

Ok, the odds are going up for us to come to Berlin.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »

Ok, the odds are going up for us to come to Berlin.
Yeay! :-)

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2017, 05:53:46 pm »

What do you guys think about skyping/hangoutsing at some point about this? :-)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2017, 07:19:46 pm »

Odds are now extremely likely that me + wife are coming!

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »

tell them i said hi!
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2017, 12:12:43 am »

What do you guys think about skyping/hangoutsing at some point about this? :-)

I am definitely for it :)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2017, 10:32:39 am »

I think we should definitely hangouts or skype about this soon, to get a really good idea of who would show up and when, so we can actually book a place to stay.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2017, 10:49:27 am »

Is there any way for us to do a multi-way video call for free? I find it really hard to talk to people when I can't see them :-(

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2017, 10:51:00 am »

Is there any way for us to do a multi-way video call for free? I find it really hard to talk to people when I can't see them :-(

In Skype it's free :)

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2017, 10:55:09 am »

In Skype it's free :)
Or in Hangouts :D

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.