Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weird Kingdom Builder stuff  (Read 1951 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Weird Kingdom Builder stuff
« on: December 09, 2016, 05:52:53 pm »
+1

So I bought Kingdom Builder finally recently. Just opened it last night. It had some weird contents; in terms of internationalization; wondering if anyone knows about this.

So normally the game comes with 25 land cards, and 10 distinct scoring cards. That's what was listed for the contents on the box and in the rulebook.

My copy had 2 separate "packs" of cards each wrapped separately. Pack A had the 25 land cards and 10 scoring cards, but the scoring cards were in German. Pack B had 5 separate sets of the 10 scoring cards, in 5 different languages... including German!

So all in all I have 60 scoring cards instead of 10; and 20 of them are double-copies of the German ones.

So while including multiple languages of cards could make sense for making it international... there was only 1 rulebook, in English! A lot of games include multiple rulebooks for different languages; but I've never seen multiple sets of cards for different languages.

On top of all that, it includes 4 HUGE ziplock bags. No idea why. At first I thought they were just extra large bags for the player components... but the player components were already each inside their own appropriately sized ziplock bags. And those 4 ziplock bags were also together in another giant ziplock bag. So many bags.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Kingdom Builder stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:33 pm »
+1

It's been a while since I unboxed my copy, but I recall having a shit-ton of materials in other languages. I can't remember if I had multiple rulebooks or not. I want to say yes(?).

I don't believe I threw any of that stuff out, so maybe I can remember to check up on it at home sometime.
A man has no signature

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:32:43 pm »

The Big Box had multiple languages (4ish?), but also came with rule books in each one.  Possibly something got mixed up there?

No ideas on the bags... Free bags I guess. They are for you to pack your lunch in.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:34:30 am »

Ok, so played again last night and noticed something that bothers me now. The iconography for Oracle seems weird.

First, here's Barn:

Seems to make perfect sense, the ? card icon is next to the second hex, saying that the second hex must match the card.

Now look at Oracle:

The ? card is next to the settlement now. It seems to have no relationship to the hex. Even though the card means the exact same thing in both cases: "The hex on the right must match the card". Having the card on the left seems to imply "the settlement must match the card"... which is silly, settlement pieces don't match terrains, only the place where you put them do.

Is there any reason why the picture of the card in Oracle isn't on the right side, next to the hex?

Jonts suggested that I write a strongly worded letter to Donald X, but I'll just rant about it on the forum instead.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:36:41 am »

Jonts suggested that I write a strongly worded letter to Donald X, but I'll just rant about it on the forum instead.

I'm guessing a strongly-worded letter to Queen would be more appropriate, though I haven't seen the Kingdom Builder prototype, so I'm not certain.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:37:59 am »

I'm guessing a strongly-worded letter to Queen would be more appropriate, though I haven't seen the Kingdom Builder prototype, so I'm not certain.

Yeah, I figured it's not likely Donald had a lot to do with that.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 02:22:02 pm »
+2

Yeah, I figured it's not likely Donald had a lot to do with that.
I did not make the pictographs.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.