Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 12: Travellerline Stage 1 (Submission)  (Read 16528 times)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile

One of these cards is mine.
Sieve - Action-Duration - $6*

+1 Action
Discard 3 Cards

For the rest of the game, at the start of your turn, do this 5 times:
Discard any number of cards and draw that many.
(This stays in play. This is not in the Supply.)
General concept:  "Make your hand the best at the start of your turn"
Well, this fulfills one of the most important qualities of a traveller line: it can't be a monolithic strategy.  Sieve, by itself, does not make a deck, and you probably need non-travellers.  What I don't like is that it seems kind of slow to mess around with your cards every turn.

Legend - Victory type - $6*

Worth 3VP for every 3 Attacks you have.
General Concept:Attacks
Stage 1: Weak discarding attack
Stage 2: Weak trashing attack
Stage 3: Silver gainer
Stage 4: Strong Attack
Stage 5: Legend (Victory Type)
A province for a final traveller is somewhat weak, so I imagine that there are lots of times you go for this just for the attacks, and then get a Legend as an afterthought in the final shuffle.  There are probably interesting things you could do with traveller attacks.  E.g. you could pair discard attacks with a Masquerade-like attack.

Lord - Action, Duration - $6*

+1 action.
For the rest of the game, during your turns, Treasure cards cost $0.
This is not in the supply.

General Concept: I imagine this accompanied with action gaining and +buy travellers, treasure cards being free means different things on different boards, and this maybe needs a (weak) push towards engine rather than gold flooding
This is quite different, although I worry it would just lead to big money.  But there are things you could add to tilt it towards an engine, something like Sage or Magpie.

Anarchist Ringleader - Action - $6*

Play this twice as if it were an action card in the supply or a traveller in this game costing up to #4. This is that card until it leaves play.
-----
If you play this card more than three times in one turn, trash it.

General Concept:The $3 and $4 cost travellers in this line should be actions that are good for throning.
This is probably really powerful, because it only uses one card in hand, whereas throne room uses two.  So it's really more like King's Court.  The challenge in designing travellers here is to discourage monolithic strategies where you just get a bunch of Anarchist Ringleaders.

Augur - Action-Duration - $6*
For the rest of the game, you may buy Auspice.

Auspice - Event -  $1
+1 Buy.  Reveal and set aside up to two cards from your hand.  At the beginning of your next turn: Play any Action cards set aside this way, and put the other cards into your hand.
You may not buy this unless you have played an Augur this game.

General Concept: Auspice is added to the kingdom when Augur is selected.  I leave the earlier travellers open-ended.  Thematically, augurs are from ancient Rome, but I was also thinking of the story of Joseph, whose prophesy persuaded the pharaoh to store surplus food for a future famine.
Looks kind of like Champion in that it makes actions non-terminal, but it costs money and you play the actions on the next turn instead of this one.  Or you could just perpetually save junk in your hand.  I wonder if this is just too much like Champion, but it depends a lot on the rest of the traveller line.

Mendicant - Action-Reaction - $2*
+2$
Discard a Card
---------------------
When you reveal this card, gain a Curse. If you didn't, gain a Copper.
(This is not in the supply)(This is not in the supply)

General Concept:A Traveller line that works in reverse. You pay for a $6 card and 'travel down' the line until you get to the last card. It's essentially a chain of 1-shot cards that get successively less powerful over time until you reach the bottom card. The successive traveller-gaining is therefore mandatory. The reaction portion of the final card is intended to interact with upper cards in the chain in a way that harms the holder. If this traveler concept is chosen, I'm hoping to see some of this subtle interaction between the other cards. The current theming is a powerful figure in the kingdom who's continual power moves make him less and less favorable.
Well, a bad traveller is roughly like a curse, right?  So you could think of this like a 3- or 4-shot that curses yourself.  Could be interesting.  One issue is that you don't even hit $6 until shuffles 2-4, so realistically you may never even see Mendicant, or the other low-cost travellers.

Taskmaster - Action - Duration - $6*
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, set aside any number of cards from your hand then draw until you have 5 cards in hand. At the start of Clean-up, you may put any cards set aside in this fashion in your discard pile or on top of your deck in any order.

General Concept: Travelers that care about or affect timing, including Reserve Travellers that you have to call in order to exchange.
Sounds kind of like a Guide+.  It would be interesting to design cards that care about timing.  Say, smuggler, and/or cost reducers.  Another neat thing you could do is include a reaction card, which you could guarantee to be in hand every turn.

Entrepreneur - Action-Attack $6*
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Each other player takes their -$1 token
-
While this is in play, cards in the supple cost $1 less.

General Concept: /
Kind of a Grand Highway, this is the kind of card you might want a lot of.  But there are only five of them.  Would you have to buy a lot of travellers just to win the Entrepreneur split?

Grand Master Mason- Action - $6*

Turn your Journey token over. If it is face up, while this is in play Victory cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less than 0. If it is face down, while this is in play Actions cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less then 0.

General Concept: This Traveller lines uses the Journey token that is flipped each time a Traveller, or the end card of this Traveller line, is played.
There's a lot of design space as you could potentially give two abilities to each traveller (one for face down, one for face up).  I kinda want to design a Journey-token village for this.

Conqeror - Action/Victory - $6*
Trash the remaining Provinces
---
Worth a total of 10 VP for every (Stage 4) in your deck, 6VP for every (Stage 3) in your deck, 3VP for every (Stage 2) in your deck and 1 VP for every (Stage 1) in your deck
(This card isn't in the supply)

General Concept:Each progressive step requires passing some sort of difficult condition in order to make the exchange. Successfully being the first to reach the final stage will generally end the game and give a huge reward. Multiple attempts
I'd be worried that this places too much importance on traveller randomness.  Passing a test at each stage makes it feel a little more ymyosl.  But then who has time for that?  Getting Champion takes long enough, and now you need to get several travellers to stage 4+, and pass tests in the mean time.  I mean, I like the concept, but the earlier travellers may be challenging to design.

Magnate - Treasure/Duration - $6*

+$2
When you play this, now and at the start of your next turn:
+1 Buy
--------
While this is in play, when you gain a card and it's your turn, +$2.
(This is not in the Supply.)

General Concept:The concept of this traveller line is, that it starts out as a deck thinning engine and ends with a very simple card which likes thin and fast deck with a high money density. Unlike other deck thinners like Raze and Lookout this is a whole engine, which "grows" to end up with a powerful deck in the end game.

The line consists of five cards. First, card 1 is a weak non-terminal deck inspector or sifter. Then, card 2 is a terminal deck accelerator (preferably with drawing and trashing and/or Treasure gaining capabilities). Next, card 3 is a moderate terminal or non-terminal, which provides more buying power and has a strong synergy with card 1 (like Tunnel + Oasis, Rats + Upgrade or Catapult + Rocks). Card 4 is a terminal card again, which may be an improved version of card 2 or the final blow to pave the way for card 5. One or two cards of the line should also have +1 Buy or a gain effect to increase the effectiveness of the last card.
If I were to design a "whole engine" traveller line, I would give it all the necessary components (sifting, action, draw, thinning, payoff).  If any of these components are already in the kingdom, it would often be easier to buy them directly, but the travellers fill any gaps.  It seems fitting that the final card would be a payoff card. 

Cardinal - Action-Duration - $6*
At the start of each of your turns:
You may play an Action or Treasure card from your hand twice.
(This stays in play. This is not in the Supply)

General Concept: Cards that allow playing the same card multiple times.
[/quote]
Throne room effects are often confusing in combination with each other, so I don't know what I think of a card that intentionally combines them.  I'd probably mix in other card types, like sifting and draw.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile

I guess i know what card is yours :P we'll see :)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile

knock knock
let's continue this contest now that it's after new year's and stuff.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
+2

Fun! This is probably going to be a difficult one to judge, but it could also result in some of the most interesting results of the whole competition. One of these ideas is mine, but I'll still be harsh on it.

+1 Action
Discard 3 Cards

The on-play effect is kind of a weird drawback, and the Duration effect will be a bit boring to sit through. Maybe if it had been something simpler like letting you pick out cards to go into your hand during Clean-up, like a super-strong version of Save?

Also, does the general concept mean that all the Travellers in the line will somehow relate to having good starting hands? That might be tricky to design a lot of cards around, although it's a nice space to work in (and I notice it's not the only submission to try to fill that general space).

Hmm. Tricky. As others have pointed out, it probably isn't fantastic in the absence of other attacks, although I guess it provides an interesting counterpoint to the Champion line. I'm torn as to whether it's good or bad that to get full value from the final stage you essentially have to win the split at both ends - you want lots of Legends, but you also have to have as many of the first two stages as you can get too.

+1 action.

General Concept: I imagine this accompanied with action gaining and +buy travellers, treasure cards being free means different things on different boards, and this maybe needs a (weak) push towards engine rather than gold flooding
So from the looks of it, the line is a kind of engine-in-progress? The earlier stages give you the things that typically run an engine, and the final stage is the payload-provider (or at least something that makes it easier to get the payload). I think it works in a sense, since you don't need more than 1 of them, and it'll really only help you get a couple of Golds unless there's a really cool alt-Treasure (including Platinum) on the board. Also, as a kind of weird side-effect, it means that you can't remodel (or equivalent) Golds into Provinces any more, so it actually hoses one category of engine. I understand people not liking the fact that it could be a monolithic strategy, but I still think it's an interesting idea.

Play this twice as if it were an action card in the supply or a traveller in this game costing up to #4. This is that card until it leaves play.
-----

General Concept:The $3 and $4 cost travellers in this line should be actions that are good for throning.
This is pretty neat, although can you use it on the $4-cost traveller if there are none left to exchange for? The "play as an action card in the supply" thing meant that you had to be able to see the card to play it. The throning aspect is quite cool, and I'm interested in how it would play out.

Auspice - Event -  $1
+1 Buy.  Reveal and set aside up to two cards from your hand.  At the beginning of your next turn: Play any Action cards set aside this way, and put the other cards into your hand.

General Concept: Auspice is added to the kingdom when Augur is selected.  I leave the earlier travellers open-ended.  Thematically, augurs are from ancient Rome, but I was also thinking of the story of Joseph, whose prophesy persuaded the pharaoh to store surplus food for a future famine.
Another plan on the idea of having the final stage help improve the start of your turns (or to some extent, keep rubbish out of your deck). I like the general idea of letting the card give you access to the Event, but I'm not 100% sold on the idea that you need to do it that way in this instance.

+2$
Discard a Card
---------------------

General Concept:A Traveller line that works in reverse. You pay for a $6 card and 'travel down' the line until you get to the last card. It's essentially a chain of 1-shot cards that get successively less powerful over time until you reach the bottom card. The successive traveller-gaining is therefore mandatory. The reaction portion of the final card is intended to interact with upper cards in the chain in a way that harms the holder. If this traveler concept is chosen, I'm hoping to see some of this subtle interaction between the other cards. The current theming is a powerful figure in the kingdom who's continual power moves make him less and less favorable.
A downward spiral? Kind of cool. I assume the idea is that the earlier stages are something like "You may exchange this for a <next stage>. If you do, <neat effect>.". As others have said, the main problem is likely to be the accessibility of the line, especially if it becomes necessary to spike $6 to get access to the cards early enough.

At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, set aside any number of cards from your hand then draw until you have 5 cards in hand. At the start of Clean-up, you may put any cards set aside in this fashion in your discard pile or on top of your deck in any order.

General Concept: Travelers that care about or affect timing, including Reserve Travellers that you have to call in order to exchange.
A third card that's centred around "fixing" your hands and/or start-of-turn. As written, it also gives you the ability to Island any cards you like - just set them aside and don't put them back. Which is ... probably good? I'd say it's an effect approximately as strong as Sieve, but with less fiddliness.

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
-

So, it's a Highway with an extra coin and a weak attack? Seems fine, I guess, although not fantastic, and I think it's let down a bit by a lack of concept for the rest of the line (maybe some cards that care about cost). Actually, I realise that by having it only affect cards in the supply (or supple, as it may be) it interacts with remodellers in a way normal cost-reducers don't, which is actually kind of cool, and I would ideally like to see at least one of the Travellers in this line do something with that.

Turn your Journey token over. If it is face up, while this is in play Victory cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less than 0. If it is face down, while this is in play Actions cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less then 0.

General Concept: This Traveller lines uses the Journey token that is flipped each time a Traveller, or the end card of this Traveller line, is played.
A Journey token Traveller line? Sign me up. I'd happily see the first stage be cantrip Journey flip with no effect (or even a small negative effect on one side). This is also one case where you really do want to win all the copies of the final stage, since multiple plays will have massive effects.

---
Worth a total of 10 VP for every (Stage 4) in your deck, 6VP for every (Stage 3) in your deck, 3VP for every (Stage 2) in your deck and 1 VP for every (Stage 1) in your deck

General Concept:Each progressive step requires passing some sort of difficult condition in order to make the exchange. Successfully being the first to reach the final stage will generally end the game and give a huge reward. Multiple attempts
Yeah, I don't like the way the VP is handled, but I do kind of like the idea of "Play this and end the game". Maybe if it just read "Gain all Provinces from the Province pile" it would work. I also like the general concept, although I'm curious about that hanging fragment at the end.

+$2
+1 Buy
--------

General Concept:The concept of this traveller line is, that it starts out as a deck thinning engine and ends with a very simple card which likes thin and fast deck with a high money density. Unlike other deck thinners like Raze and Lookout this is a whole engine, which "grows" to end up with a powerful deck in the end game.

The line consists of five cards. First, card 1 is a weak non-terminal deck inspector or sifter. Then, card 2 is a terminal deck accelerator (preferably with drawing and trashing and/or Treasure gaining capabilities). Next, card 3 is a moderate terminal or non-terminal, which provides more buying power and has a strong synergy with card 1 (like Tunnel + Oasis, Rats + Upgrade or Catapult + Rocks). Card 4 is a terminal card again, which may be an improved version of card 2 or the final blow to pave the way for card 5. One or two cards of the line should also have +1 Buy or a gain effect to increase the effectiveness of the last card.
Wow, this is quite the thought-out line. Again, there's the issue of this being a monolithic strategy (and hence difficult to compete with if you're locked out of the line at the wrong stage), but otherwise I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it.

[/quote]
I like the Cardinal. Again, a final stage that you might want to try to get more of, but otherwise a strong concept. I would rather the general concept include a few cards that would be *nice* to play multiple times, or that otherwise help make the Cardinal better rather than giving you more ways to do the same thing. Also, and this is a bit nit-picky, but I don't like the name. Cards named after religious stuff, in my mind, tend more towards deck thinning (e.g. Chapel, Bishop) whereas letting you play cards multiple times is more the remit of royalty (Throne Room, Crown). So if this wins, I'd like to petition it to be renamed something like Emperor.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile

One of these is mine.

+1 Action
Discard 3 Cards

I fear that this card might slow the game down too much. Although it is very close to the same as a Princed Cellar, so maybe not.

I dislike even the weak trashing attacks, so by transitive property, I dislike this as well. It might not be too bad, though, since it'll most likely get exchanged quickly. I personally don't like the fact that the top-tier card is a Victory card. It just doesn't seem very exciting, especially not next to cards like Teacher and Champion.

+1 action.

I predict that this would basically make whoever wins the race will win no matter what their opponents do. I feel like making Treasures permanently free for just you is WAYYYYYYYY too powerful. I would expect a princed Mountebank would be less game-determining, and that's the most powerful $5-coster in the game, by popular vote. This is the worst card of these choices, IMO. I would price Champion and Teacher at $8 if they were regular cards, and I would price this at ~$16. No joke.

-----

I think this might actually not need the drawback. Action, Supply, and Traveller should be capitalized, though.

Auspice - Event -  $1

This one is pretty cool. I'm almost certainly going to vote for this one.

+2$
Discard a Card
---------------------

Now this one is interesting. I think this one might be my favorite, in fact.

Same complaint for Sieve. I think this one is more interesting than Sieve, though.

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
-

That's weird that it only affects cards that are in the Supply. It's really boring though. It's probably the 2nd most boring of the bunch (Legend being the 1st).

I like that this alternates between "cheapifying" Actions and Victories. I do think it's a tad too weak, though; as I said before, both official top-tier Travellers are the strength of about a $7-cost card, and I would only price this at $7 if it cheapified all cards.

---

This has the same problem as Lord, except on an even bigger scale, because "difficult conditions" are usually luck-based, which makes it even swingier, and it ends the game instantly, making it swingier still, not to mention that it's also very easily worth a crap-ton of VP.

+$2
+1 Buy
--------

I feel kind of meh about this one. I'm not sure whether I like it or dislike it.

As ConMan said, this one could have a better name. I agree with his suggestion of renaming it something along the lines of Emperor.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
+2

Voting is open! 7 days!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile

Disclaimer: One of these is mine.

+1 Action
Discard 3 Cards

Meh. It probably won't effect the game much and the whole concept "make your hand better at the start of your turn" seems like really bad. Chapel essentially does that.

The VP values could be tweaked, but I think it's a good concept.

+1 action.

This seems either really dominant on some boards, or impossibly weak on others. I mean, TfB is the main reason for Treasure it seems like and this prevents you from using that.

-----

Too much going on. I don't see the need for the bottom.

Auspice - Event -  $1

Seems weak. A double save/village only as the final traveller? I'll pass I think.

+2$
Discard a Card
---------------------

I'd like to see it done, but not this way.

I like it, but it could be a tad weak.

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
-

I like it. Some vanilla travellers would be cool, especially a lower one with +Buy. The concept of a final stage you might want a lot of is interesting.

Turn your Journey token over. If it is face up, while this is in play Victory cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less than 0. If it is face down, while this is in play Actions cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less than 0.

I like it. Great for Mega turns.

---

The VP values seem way off.

+$2
+1 Buy
--------

Nice payload. I like it.

I don't like it, too simple. A perma-Crown? Maybe if it KC'd it.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile

So it looks like everything with 4 or more votes made it.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
+1

Looks like it, yes.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
+1

Just to necro this, should we be sumbitting votes?

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
+1

Not to necro this (but totally to necro this) is anything going to happen going forward or is the contest dead? It's been, what, eight months?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net

I would say this is done for now. We completed the original (2014) contest, along with a few extras (one Adventures kingdom card, one Base, a couple Events, and a Landmark). Maybe next year sometime I'll consider revisiting for the newer expansions. (Or maybe someone else will take over.)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 21 queries.