Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 12: Travellerline Stage 1 (Submission)  (Read 16525 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
+3

Disclaimer: This is the first competition overseen by me, AdrianHealey. It's my intention to continue Mith's work as accurately as possible. If I screw anything up, please correct me if I do.

This competition is meant to design a Travellerline. We will do it in two stages. In stage one you will design a concept + a final card. You design a rough travellerline idea + the final card of this travellerline. In stage two, everyone can submit a travellerline (so x number of cards) that lead up to this final card.

Submission Rules

• Each participant may submit one card per challenge.
• Participation in previous or future challenges is not required to participate in this one.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system. Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• The name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

Except where specified, you may not submit cards combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside or Adventures slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.
• Traveller cards, Reserve cards, and cards making use of player Tokens may only be submitted as candidates for an Adventures slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #12: Adventures

Design a concept + the final card of a traveller line that would fit into the Adventures expansion. Such a card could have one or more of the following qualities:

• Interacts with player Tokens (possibly including new Tokens).
• Stays in play for future turns or permanently (Durations).
• Interacts with the Tavern mat (Reserves).

Do not submit Events. There will be separate challenges for those.

Submissions are due by the end of Saturday, December 17th.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:08:02 am by mith »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+2

I hope I did this right.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile

Looks good, looking forward to winning!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile

Traveller lines are the trickiest to design, because they drastically change the game but require careful balancing. Luckily since the upgrades come after the concept is chosen we will have some ability to do that (the pacing of the upgrades is a big factor balancing Teacher and Champion), but just be careful when you get this set up guys! :)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Traveller lines are the trickiest to design, because they drastically change the game but require careful balancing. Luckily since the upgrades come after the concept is chosen we will have some ability to do that (the pacing of the upgrades is a big factor balancing Teacher and Champion), but just be careful when you get this set up guys! :)

Good advice!

Edit: I don't have authority (I believe) to make this thread sticky, etc. So I apologize that I am not able to do this.

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net

Got it.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile

Question: What constitutes the "concept" of a card?

Does that mean, come up with a basic life story for the character?  Or does that refer to the mechanics of progression (e.g. cycling your deck, as with existing travellers)?  Could I just submit a final card, and leave the path to the final card open-ended?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Let me use the 2 travellers that we know.

Champion concept: endless action and moat, but because that's op: self junking and an attack to slow it down.

Teacher concept: a card to put all tokens on cards for ultimate engine. So the path leading up to it: all cards that have their purpose in an engine. (Specifically: +buy, attack and payload, draw and cycling, gainer and throne room)

But you are of course allowed to not specify the concept and just crete a final card.

Does this answer your question? (I am new to this so don't burn me if you disagree.)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile

I think it's very open ended, you just lay out your plans for the line, and clarfiy the ultimate conclusion of it.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile

Thanks, that's very helpful.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

For the purpose of the competition: send a concept for the first travellers + a very specific designed card as the final outcome of the travellerline.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Does anyone have a list (or could make a list) of people who previously participated in this?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+1

7ish submissions so far. :(

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile

7ish submissions so far. :(
Yess, more likely for me to win. If we can keep it under 10 I think I have this in the bag...

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Question: Am I just a passive receiver or am I allowed to give feedback to the cards I receive for updating purposes? A few submissions I received are not entirely according to format standards (I don't want to go into detail.) Or is that considered bad form on my part.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
+1

Question: Am I just a passive receiver or am I allowed to give feedback to the cards I receive for updating purposes? A few submissions I received are not entirely according to format standards (I don't want to go into detail.) Or is that considered bad form on my part.

I personally will be glad to hear your comments!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile

Suggestions to bring them in line with standards, absolutely.

Suggestions to make them better cards because you like the concept, still good.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile

I personally would love feedback in either form. Don't know how others would react to helping entries be better, though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:05:24 pm by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile

I'd prefer this is done during the voting, we can always change it last minute right?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+2

Today is D-day!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+4

So here is the list. Small edits for clarification. Please contact me if I screwed thngs up!

Feel free to discuss cards!

Sieve - Action-Duration - $6*

+1 Action
Discard 3 Cards

For the rest of the game, at the start of your turn, do this 5 times:
Discard any number of cards and draw that many.
(This stays in play. This is not in the Supply.)
General concept:  "Make your hand the best at the start of your turn"

Legend - Victory type - $6*

Worth 3VP for every 3 Attacks you have.
General Concept:Attacks
Stage 1: Weak discarding attack
Stage 2: Weak trashing attack
Stage 3: Silver gainer
Stage 4: Strong Attack
Stage 5: Legend (Victory Type)

Lord - Action, Duration - $6*

+1 action.
For the rest of the game, during your turns, Treasure cards cost $0.
This is not in the supply.

General Concept: I imagine this accompanied with action gaining and +buy travellers, treasure cards being free means different things on different boards, and this maybe needs a (weak) push towards engine rather than gold flooding

Anarchist Ringleader - Action - $6*

Play this twice as if it were an action card in the supply or a traveller in this game costing up to #4. This is that card until it leaves play.
-----
If you play this card more than three times in one turn, trash it.

General Concept:The $3 and $4 cost travellers in this line should be actions that are good for throning.

Augur - Action-Duration - $6*
For the rest of the game, you may buy Auspice.

Auspice - Event -  $1
+1 Buy.  Reveal and set aside up to two cards from your hand.  At the beginning of your next turn: Play any Action cards set aside this way, and put the other cards into your hand.
You may not buy this unless you have played an Augur this game.

General Concept: Auspice is added to the kingdom when Augur is selected.  I leave the earlier travellers open-ended.  Thematically, augurs are from ancient Rome, but I was also thinking of the story of Joseph, whose prophesy persuaded the pharaoh to store surplus food for a future famine.

Mendicant - Action-Reaction - $2*
+2$
Discard a Card
---------------------
When you reveal this card, gain a Curse. If you didn't, gain a Copper.
(This is not in the supply)(This is not in the supply)

General Concept:A Traveller line that works in reverse. You pay for a $6 card and 'travel down' the line until you get to the last card. It's essentially a chain of 1-shot cards that get successively less powerful over time until you reach the bottom card. The successive traveller-gaining is therefore mandatory. The reaction portion of the final card is intended to interact with upper cards in the chain in a way that harms the holder. If this traveler concept is chosen, I'm hoping to see some of this subtle interaction between the other cards. The current theming is a powerful figure in the kingdom who's continual power moves make him less and less favorable.

Taskmaster - Action - Duration - $6*
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, set aside any number of cards from your hand then draw until you have 5 cards in hand. At the start of Clean-up, you may put any cards set aside in this fashion in your discard pile or on top of your deck in any order.
(This stays in play. This is not in the Supply.)

General Concept: Travelers that care about or affect timing, including Reserve Travellers that you have to call in order to exchange.

Entrepreneur - Action-Attack $6*
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Each other player takes their -$1 token
-
While this is in play, cards in the supple cost $1 less.

General Concept: /

Grand Master Mason- Action - $6*

Turn your Journey token over. If it is face up, while this is in play Victory cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less than 0. If it is face down, while this is in play Actions cards cost 3 less on your turn, but not less then 0.

General Concept: This Traveller lines uses the Journey token that is flipped each time a Traveller, or the end card of this Traveller line, is played.

Conqeror - Action/Victory - $6*
Trash the remaining Provinces
---
Worth a total of 10 VP for every (Stage 4) in your deck, 6VP for every (Stage 3) in your deck, 3VP for every (Stage 2) in your deck and 1 VP for every (Stage 1) in your deck
(This card isn't in the supply)

General Concept:Each progressive step requires passing some sort of difficult condition in order to make the exchange. Successfully being the first to reach the final stage will generally end the game and give a huge reward. Multiple attempts

Magnate - Treasure/Duration - $6*

+$2
When you play this, now and at the start of your next turn:
+1 Buy
--------
While this is in play, when you gain a card and it's your turn, +$2.
(This is not in the Supply.)

General Concept:The concept of this traveller line is, that it starts out as a deck thinning engine and ends with a very simple card which likes thin and fast deck with a high money density. Unlike other deck thinners like Raze and Lookout this is a whole engine, which "grows" to end up with a powerful deck in the end game.

The line consists of five cards. First, card 1 is a weak non-terminal deck inspector or sifter. Then, card 2 is a terminal deck accelerator (preferably with drawing and trashing and/or Treasure gaining capabilities). Next, card 3 is a moderate terminal or non-terminal, which provides more buying power and has a strong synergy with card 1 (like Tunnel + Oasis, Rats + Upgrade or Catapult + Rocks). Card 4 is a terminal card again, which may be an improved version of card 2 or the final blow to pave the way for card 5. One or two cards of the line should also have +1 Buy or a gain effect to increase the effectiveness of the last card.

Cardinal - Action-Duration - $6*
At the start of each of your turns:
You may play an Action or Treasure card from your hand twice.
(This stays in play. This is not in the Supply)

General Concept: Cards that allow playing the same card multiple times.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:08:47 pm by AdrianHealey »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile

I don't think I like Sieve. "+1 Action. Discard 3 cards" is an awkward on play effect (though I can see it might be appropriate to have a drawback considering how powerful the duration effect is).

Legend: So it's a $6 Province with the requirements of going through the traveller chain and having at least six attack cards in your deck (it's not worth it if you have less than six). It could work, but some of these attacks should be weaker non-terminal attacks if we need to have six of them in our deck at the end (Bring back Spy as a traveller maybe?)

Lord: Free gold. Another one that sounds like it could work, but wouldn't be that exciting.

Anarchist Ringleader: Do misfits become anarchists when you throne them? hmmm. So KC plays a $4 cost card six times. I guess that's why the below the line part is there. Might be interesting.

Augur: This is kinda like a Sieve that happens at the end of your turn instead of the beginning. I like this one better despite the weird mechanic of an event only accessable through the traveller line.

Mendicant: Why would I buy a $6 one-shot traveller that decays into this?

Taskmaster: Another version of Sieve. I think I like this one best of the three. (Although, you should get rid of the "you may" or we could have cards that are perpetually set aside with this.)

Entrepreneur: I don't really like this as an end to a traveller line.

Grand Master Mason: The journey token is a means to accomplish a card concept. It shouldn't be the concept of a whole traveller line in itself.

Conqeror: This could be interesting and fun if the travellers were very well designed, but I think it'll be hard to design travellers for this that would make it fun.

Magnate: could be good, but don't expect everyone to follow all the directions for the travellers.

Cardinal: I like Anarchist Ringleader better.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

I am waiting for a few more comments before I make the poll. :)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile

I am waiting for a few more comments before I make the poll. :)

It's still holiday season. People are on vacations and stuff. If no one else posts, just send a reminder after New Year's and the thread will come to life again.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+2

I am team 'when can this Christmas thing be over', so I always forget that othe rpeople have this constraint, haha. But yes, good point.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.