Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Admiral  (Read 8460 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Admiral
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:12:46 am »
+1

Decided to test out Violet's new card generator, and came up with this:

Kind of a mixture of Prince and Summon.  Does this seem balanced?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: Admiral
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:28:21 am »
+1

This seems quite better than prince.
Yay not only do i have a princed band of misfits I also have a princed workshop.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:33:17 am »

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:35:38 am by LaLight »
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 12:36:20 am »

Check this out

I can't link messages.

Here it is:

New idea. Weak or broken?
Unnamed Princess
cost 6P - Duration
For the rest of the game, at the start of your turn, gain a card costing up to $4, putting it into your hand.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 02:39:16 am »

This seems quite better than prince.
Yay not only do i have a princed band of misfits I also have a princed workshop.
It is not strictly better than Prince. For example if you Prince Smithy you have the equivalence of 3 Labs at the start of very turn whereas with Admiral you would have to clog your decks with Smithies in order to get the same effect.
Of course you can easily imagine a situation in which gaining and autoplaying a 4 every turn is better than just having a Princed card. Easiest scenario is again a Kingdom with Smithy but also Village.

So it is hard to say whether this is better or weaker than Prince. I'd worry more about the piledriving.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 02:44:23 am »

You could make it discard itself from play / stop its effect when you gain a Victory card (and maybe adjust the price accordingly).

Although agree that the "clogging" of your deck makes it not-strictly better than Prince, but still, it's a hell of a lot more flexible, and doesn't need to be collided with other cards, etc.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:47:19 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 03:35:49 am »

Seems very similar to this idea:
New idea. Weak or broken?
Unnamed Princess
cost 6P - Duration
For the rest of the game, at the start of your turn, gain a card costing up to $4, putting it into your hand.

This is better than prince in a few ways: 1. It takes less set up; 2. nets you a card every turn.

There are only real two downsides: 1. Kingdom piles being empty; 2. Filling your deck with too many terminal actions in a non village kingdom, however you could use this card to target actions that gives +1 action to net an action.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 01:06:57 pm »

Make it trash the card during clean-up? That would be an interesting twist; it trades flexibility in starting your turn for acccelerating the end of the game and cutting off your own supply of the very engine pieces you were hoping would be in your deck.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:25:33 pm »
+3

Yeah this is way better than Prince (no, not strictly better. No one's saying it's strictly better). Prince requires you to 1) Buy Prince. 2) Buy the card you want to Prince. 3) Manage to get Prince and the card in your hand at the same time.

For all of that, you get the benefit of playing a $4 at the start of every turn (the same $4 each time).

Admiral requires you to 1) Buy Admiral. 2) Play it as soon as you draw it.

And for those much easier steps, you get the benefit of playing a $4 at the start of every turn, that can be whichever $4 is best for you at the moment, AND you get to gain a copy of that $4. The suggestion that gaining the card is more of a detriment than a benefit is like saying that Throne Room is better than Disciple, because Disciple could cause you to clog your deck with the card you are throning.

Yes, the fact that a pile can run out can hurt Admiral. It's not as good if there's only a single card that it works with. But even in that case, by the time you run out of the pile, you should have already gotten a LOT of benefit from it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:28:06 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 09:02:59 am »

The suggestion that gaining the card is more of a detriment than a benefit is like saying that Throne Room is better than Disciple, because Disciple could cause you to clog your deck with the card you are throning.
This is nonsense. As always it depends on the Kingdom.

If you prince a Smithy you get 3 extra cards at every turn from then on. If you admiral a Smithy you only get 3 extra cards for this turn but you get the Smithy into your deck.
In a Kingdom with no villages you would definitely prefer to prince the Smithy whereas in a Kingdom with villages or lots of cheap non-terminals you would rather have Admiral.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 11:42:29 am »
+1

The suggestion that gaining the card is more of a detriment than a benefit is like saying that Throne Room is better than Disciple, because Disciple could cause you to clog your deck with the card you are throning.

If you prince a Smithy you get 3 extra cards at every turn from then on. If you admiral a Smithy you only get 3 extra cards for this turn but you get the Smithy into your deck.
In a Kingdom with no villages you would definitely prefer to prince the Smithy whereas in a Kingdom with villages or lots of cheap non-terminals you would rather have Admiral.
Agreed, but saying this is nonsense, and then proceeding to say that it could happen based on the kingdom is a little, well, nonsensical.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 11:10:25 pm »
+5

I feel like just quoting Seprix here, but I'm a bit more polite. OF COURSE it depends on the Kindom! It alway does. Every time. Is Gold a lot better than Copper? Yes. The fact that i can design a Kingdom where I'd prefer Copper is not relevant to that fact. I even clarified, for your benefit, that I was NOT talking about strictly better. Your response is only relevant to the argument that it is strictly better, which no one is arguing.

So please stop responding to "x is better than y" with "nuh uh, you're wrong, here's a kingdom where y is better!" I mean, do you look at card rankings lists and say "look at these idiots claiming that Chapel is better than Pearl Diver. What if the Kingdom doesn't benefit from trashing at all?"

Finally, it would take a Kingdom with no non-terminals under $4, not just a Kingdom with no Village, to make me prefer a Princed Smithy. If there's any non terminal, then on any hand that I start with multiple Smithies, I would get a Village by playing a non-terminal.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 12:56:06 pm »
+1

Maybe you should just gain the card to your hand without getting to play it?

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 01:28:58 pm »

I feel like just quoting Seprix here, but I'm a bit more polite. OF COURSE it depends on the Kindom! It alway does. Every time. Is Gold a lot better than Copper? Yes. The fact that i can design a Kingdom where I'd prefer Copper is not relevant to that fact. I even clarified, for your benefit, that I was NOT talking about strictly better. Your response is only relevant to the argument that it is strictly better, which no one is arguing.

So please stop responding to "x is better than y" with "nuh uh, you're wrong, here's a kingdom where y is better!" I mean, do you look at card rankings lists and say "look at these idiots claiming that Chapel is better than Pearl Diver. What if the Kingdom doesn't benefit from trashing at all?"

Finally, it would take a Kingdom with no non-terminals under $4, not just a Kingdom with no Village, to make me prefer a Princed Smithy. If there's any non terminal, then on any hand that I start with multiple Smithies, I would get a Village by playing a non-terminal.
You claimed that clogging your deck is never an issue with Admiral wheras it actually is in some Kingdoms. So your claim was total nonsense.
Admiral is probably better than Prince in most Kingdoms but without villages Princing a Smithy might be better. You only get one pseudovillage if you admiral Pearl Driver so you can hardly play a draw engine.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 09:45:54 pm »
+1

Pretty much what the non-tristan people are saying is that in general admiral is way better than prince.
Tristan is pretty much saying that these people are wrong because that isn't true on a few boards. General means mostly so one counter example doesn't contradict the general trend.

If tristan continues to argue this way we probably shouldn't argue back because he is unwilling to listen.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 03:40:39 am »

That's factually wrong. There are ample of Kingdoms without a village and in such Kingdom you cannot play a draw engine. Prince-Smithy is equivalent to 3 Labs per turn whereas Admiral-Smithy and later Admiral-whatevercheapcantrip-Smithy is equivalent to 2 Labs.
No this ain't bad but in such a Kingdom you'd have to sooner or later clog your deck with cheap terminal crap that you don't really want with Admiral.

So GendoIkari's notion that clogging your deck with crap is never a problem is simply factually wrong. Admiral is probably only good in Kingdoms in which you'd also want a gainer.
Also,as you get Admiral or Prince fairly late in the game the permanent effect of Prince could easily trump the constant gaining of Admiral. Gaining <=4$ is good for build-up and not so much for endgame play.

Doesn't mean that Admiral isn't better than Prince though, it is probably too cheap for 8$. But to pretend that Admiral never has any drawbacks is preposterous.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 04:55:44 am »
+3

That's factually wrong. There are ample of Kingdoms without a village and in such Kingdom you cannot play a draw engine. Prince-Smithy is equivalent to 3 Labs per turn whereas Admiral-Smithy and later Admiral-whatevercheapcantrip-Smithy is equivalent to 2 Labs.

This is factually wrong. Admiral-cantrip+Smithy is equivalent to 3 Labs, as both give you an 8-card hand with an Action left.
(And you also have the choice to go for Admiral-Smithy+Smithy for a 10-card hand without an Action left.)

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 04:58:18 am »

True that. You still cannot play a draw engine with Admiral and no village though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:44 am »
+1

So GendoIkari's notion that clogging your deck with crap is never a problem is simply factually wrong.

Please stop misrepresenting my position and arguing against a strawman. You know very well that I never claimed anything involving the words "never" or "always".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 10:24:11 am »

Also, it was mentioned in my first post, but the discussion since then has been all about the effects of a Princed Smithy vs the effects of a played Admiral. As if those 2 are comparable in opportunity cost. Which they aren't, not even close. As I said, a Princed Smithy requires 1) Buying Prince; 2) Buying Smithy; 3) Managing to draw both in the same hand. An Admiral requires 1) Buying Admiral.

And I can't believe I'm still arguing this, but... Tristan's entire argument seems to be "A Princed Smithy is better than using Admiral to gain and play a Smithy every turn." Well great, no one has actually disagreed with that at all. It's never been what our point was. A kingdom with Smithy as the only $4 or less card is a very small minority of all Kingdoms.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:25:56 am by GendoIkari »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 01:08:16 pm »

So GendoIkari's notion that clogging your deck with crap is never a problem is simply factually wrong.

Please stop misrepresenting my position and arguing against a strawman. You know very well that I never claimed anything involving the words "never" or "always".
War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength and Gendo did not really say what he said:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 01:51:33 pm »
+2

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength and Gendo did not really say what he said:

Could you go ahead and use bold or something to mark the place in that quote where it says "never" or "always"?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 01:55:19 pm »
+4

You guys could spend this time on designing a new traveller.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 02:46:46 pm »
+4

I honestly don't know why people still bother arguing with Tristan. You guys may as well start arguing with a brick wall.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 03:25:20 pm »
+2

You guys could spend this time on designing a new traveller.

The final form gives you +1 buy every time you buy something and the option to buy coin tokens for $1 each.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.