Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What if all piles scaled with players?  (Read 2246 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
What if all piles scaled with players?
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:55 pm »
+1

We all know Victory cards scale with more players - it's 8 cards in a pile for 2 players, and 12 if you have more.  This is ostensibly to have more to go around for all players.  How would they game be affected if Actions and Treasures also scaled that way?  Say, 10 for 2-player, 12 for 3, 16 for 4, or something like that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
Re: What if all piles scaled with players?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:13:41 pm »

The normal 10 cards per kingdom supply pile feels fine for 2 and 3 player games. But, on this note something like 12 cards per kingdom supply pile could be nice for a 4 player game. Just not really a possible fix for non-online dominion and it just comes off as a small opinionated nitpick.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:16:44 pm by loneXolf »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:15:25 pm »

The normal 10 cards per kingdom supply pile feels fine for 2 and 3 player games. But, on this note something like 12 cards per kingdom supply pile could be nice for a 4 player game. Just not really possible fix for non-online dominion and it just comes off as a small opinionated nitpick.

Fun fact, Dominion originally had 12 cards per pile in all piles; before publishing. And the game ended when 1 pile was empty.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:05:05 pm »

We all know Victory cards scale with more players - it's 8 cards in a pile for 2 players, and 12 if you have more.  This is ostensibly to have more to go around for all players.  How would they game be affected if Actions and Treasures also scaled that way?  Say, 10 for 2-player, 12 for 3, 16 for 4, or something like that.

Probably the easiest way to answer this is to observe what happens in an actual 3 or 4 player game. Try playing one of those with Magpie.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 02:42:34 am »

I actually scale my own split piles fan cards according to player count. Probably got the idea because I never ever saw Plunder or Rocks in my games.

kru5h

• Tactician
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 02:54:34 am »

When I make fan cards, the split piles are considered "Victory Split Piles."

A two player game will have 4 Action cards on top, then 4 Victory cards. 6 of each for more players.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:29:10 am »

This given me related idea, scaling vp cards. How would game changed if provinces would be replaced by 8 cost cards earning 3-10(3p 14) vp in increasing/decreasing order. Obviously decreasing order would increase 1p advantage and caused earlier greening but what about opposite and how would strategies change?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 09:09:43 am »
+1

I don't increase pile sizes (too much work) but if I can, I do like to play 16 Provinces / 4 piles to end in a 4P game
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 10:10:02 am »

I don't increase pile sizes (too much work) but if I can, I do like to play 16 Provinces / 4 piles to end in a 4P game

You should play a colony game at that point.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 10:22:10 am »
+1

You should play a colony game at that point.

It's not really to increase the duration of the game (though that happens), but to increase the ability for people to catch up. With 12 card VP piles in a 4P game it is more of a race. Going to Colony just kind of makes the same race slightly longer; 16 Provinces gives some time to come back.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.