Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plague Doctor and Alternate Curses  (Read 1811 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Plague Doctor and Alternate Curses
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:19:17 pm »

Introduction:
Plague Doctor is a reaction card for a mini-expansion of mine. This expansion is basically a sequel to Dark Ages. When using cards with the "Hexer" card type, you replace the Curse pile with a pile of alternate Curses; there are 5 different types of alt Curse and 10 of each type, and before starting the game, you shuffle the alt Curse pile a-la Ruins.

Cards:

Curse of Solitude

Curse of Emptiness

Midas' Touch

Curse of Sorrow

Curse of Paranoia

Plague Doctor

Comments:

Curse of Solitude:
The first is a negative Duchy, but the rest turn them into regular Curses. Still worth -3 VP even if you have 15 Curses and it's the only Curse of Solitude in your deck; only a 2nd copy of itself will make it less harsh.

Curse of Emptiness:
Acts as an Oasis, but takes away more points than any other type of Curse.

Midas' Touch:
Gives money, but takes an Action to use and is (sort of) worth -1.5 VP.

Curse of Sorrow:
Doesn't take or give any VP, but makes you gain a 2nd Curse along with it. You get to choose which type of curse the 2nd one is, though, so it isn't quite strictly harsher than the other Curses.

Curse of Paranoia:
An Estate that you can't get rid of. A free Estate in games w/o trashing.

Plague Doctor:
A (usually) terminal silver/trasher/woodcutter.

Thoughts?

Thanks to Violet CLM for making an easy-to-use Dominion Card Image Maker.

Edits: Buffed Plague Doctor and changed Curse of Emptiness. Fixed typo on Curse of Sorrow (originally gained a Curse from your discard pile), as well as fixed a mistake on Curse of Solitude (was an Action despite being unplayable).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:04:11 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: Plague Doctor and Alternate Curses
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:49:46 am »

These look good. I especially like plague doctor's upper half, and I'm tempted to put a different lower half on it so I can use that one without the alternate curses. (My play group already doesn't like curses, and these are mostly stronger than normal curses.)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:00 am »

Looks interesting, especially as it avoids the typical fan card problem of making alt-Curses supernasty.
Do you intend the alt-Curses to be roughly equivalent in strength to normal Curses such that you can always substitute the Curse with the alt-Curse pile or do you, as you wrote, just want this to be balanced with particular junkers, Hexers?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:36:48 am »

I don't think the reaction of Plague Doctor is interesting. Knights, Ruins, your Curses is rarely used in the random kingdom. Usually meaningless. And usually weak.
I think gaining another card which has the same cost is much more fun and works more. You gain Coppers instead of Curses. Sometimes you can gain Duchy playing University, which does not give you non-Action cards. What do you think?

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:07:14 am »

Plague doctor- I like this card idea however, a lot of it's text is useless in kingdoms without ruins/curse attack cards.

Curses- I don't quite understand how these work. Are they meant to replace the current curse pile? If so you seem to be turning the curse pile into another ruins type pile.

Curse of solitude- Why is this an action? Strength: Worst than curse.

Curse Of Emptiness- Card design seems awkward, while being not a dead card since it replaces itself however it's worth -2 vp. In most cases you will just trash this while you don't have a estate in your hand, maybe make it a peddler to give some reason to not insta-trash it. Also in games without trashing it's fair maybe? Getting two of these in a row will really hurt your vp count. Strength: Around as powerful as curse.

Midas' Touch- Also does not seem worth keeping at all if you can trash this. -4 vp if you have two of them, also it just a worst Abandoned Mine. Strength: Better than curse if you have 1, otherwise it's around as powerful or can even get more mean in a 3 or 4 player game.

Curse Of Sorrow- How is gaining a curse from your own discard pile not pointless? Also why is this card worth 0 vp? This just seems like a dead card. Strength: Better than curse.

Curse of Paranoia- So an estate you cannot trash? Seems not as mean as a normal curse if you only have 1 of these. It's latter effect can mess with cards like Trading Post. Strength: Better than curse.

To be honest I feel like the ruins pile is better balanced since they can be the same level of bad while some being better than others depending on the kingdom.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:06:29 pm by loneXolf »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:58:49 pm »

Plague doctor- I like this card idea however, a lot of it's text is useless in kingdoms without ruins/curse attack cards.

I think that I'll buff it by changing the Reaction effect and by replacing Ruins with Action cards in general (with a cost limit to prevent being strictly better than Vassal).

Curses- I don't quite understand how these work. Are they meant to replace the current curse pile? If so you seem to be turning the curse pile into another ruins type pile.

That's exactly the point.

Curse of solitude- Why is this an action? Strength: Worst than curse.

That was a mistake which I have now fixed.

Curse Of Emptiness- Card design seems awkward, while being not a dead card since it replaces itself however it's worth -2 vp. In most cases you will just trash this while you don't have a estate in your hand, maybe make it a peddler to give some reason to not insta-trash it. Also in games without trashing it's fair maybe? Getting two of these in a row will really hurt your vp count. Strength: Around as powerful as curse.

Those are some fair points. I think that making it a Peddler, though, might make it too good for the person who gets it. I think I'll make it into an Oasis instead.

Midas' Touch- Also does not seem worth keeping at all if you can trash this. -4 vp if you have two of them, also it just a worst Abandoned Mine. Strength: Better than curse if you have 1, otherwise it's around as powerful or can even get more mean in a 3 or 4 player game.

It's actually only -3 VP if you have two of them; it's intended that you only lose -1 VP for every 2 once, not that each one is worth an additional -1 for every 2.

Curse Of Sorrow- How do you gaining a curse from your own discard pile not pointless? Also why is this card worth 0 vp? This just seems like a dead card. Strength: Better than curse.

That was a typo. It's supposed to gain another Curse from the Curse pile.

Curse of Paranoia- So an estate you cannot trash? Seems not as mean as a normal curse if you only have 1 of these. It's latter effect can mess with cards like Trading Post. Strength: Better than curse.

What if I made it worth 0VP?

To be honest I feel like the ruins pile is better balanced since they can be the same level of bad while some being better depending on the kingdom.

That's a fair point.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.