Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Dominion Card Image Generator  (Read 116786 times)

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Card Image Generator
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 02:41:33 pm »

So easy. But, euh, can we center the image?
Well, it is centered... that's exactly why you're running into that. You want it to be snapped to the top instead. This is still not the top priority--I'm busy readjusting text sizes and positions right now--but I acknowledge it's worth implementing eventually.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »

So easy. But, euh, can we center the image?
Well, it is centered... that's exactly why you're running into that. You want it to be snapped to the top instead. This is still not the top priority--I'm busy readjusting text sizes and positions right now--but I acknowledge it's worth implementing eventually.

Haha, I guess you are right. No problem, man. It's a-ma-zing.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 07:12:28 pm »
+3

Can we sticky this? We really need to sticky this.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 11:57:51 pm »

I greatly appreciate the thought, but if it's going to be stickied at all, wait until I've finished addressing some of the tips for improvement that have been posted :)

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 06:44:58 pm »

I agree :)

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Card Image Generator v1.1
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 04:46:19 am »
+7

Version 1.1 released

Fonts, icon positioning, text processing, shadows, and colors have been updated. Color schemes are now based on the Dominion Online images', since those seem to be the most consistent sources. Most worthy of concern is that newlines (read: pressing enter) are now much weaker than they were in 1.0, to allow for finer user control; that makes for some inconsistency with previously generated cards, but I did say that was a possibility. Note also in the Apprentice comparison above that this is now using Empires/rerelease rules: "+1 Card" and the like get bolded even when they are not the entire line. I haven't looked into the question of italics yet so don't try.

Same URL as before. Reload (forcefully) if changes don't seem to have applied.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:47:34 am by Violet CLM »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 11:48:07 am »
+1

This is really a fantastic tool!  :) Just one little thing you could add: How about a feature which would allow you to credit the artist in the bottom corner?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 01:18:46 pm »

Wow, way better! There are, however, a few more things I'dd suggest adding:
- As McGarnacle said, an Artist/Creator credit box in the bottom.
- This might be my number one thing. The templates still look kinda off. I think you just recolored them all, so it looks really off (to me). Now take this with a grain of salt, the templates I see and use might be off while yours are actually right, but I'd still suggest using LFN's whenever possible.
- Selective Italics/Bold, but that only affects 1% of cards so no biggie.
- Actually, this is my #1 thing. The in the middle need to have a smaller number in them. It's possibly the #1 thing that people get tripped up on.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 07:12:00 pm »
+1

I did take a look at the card templates you sent me and they weren't seriously usable. They were half the size and had inconsistent proportions, inconsistent positions, and inconsistent fill patterns (read: clone brush usage). They weren't even layered. There's no way to use them that doesn't involve scrapping all but one and starting from scratch, but at a smaller resolution, with an unremovable price coin icon, and with no obvious benefits to make up for it.

I am sympathetic to the argument that I should be using the colors people are most familiar with from other templates, even though those have been warped by printing and later scanning, rather than the ones that I think are most likely to be canonical, but using those particular images is not the way to get that result.

I will be looking at the inline icons some more. I know official cards are not consistent about their sizing, but because this is a program I do actually need a consistent rule, so I expect I'll look at a bunch of Empires cards (because they use the most updated style) and figure out what looks right from there. The most important bit is to get the $ symbol in "+$" to turn into a coin icon and the + to be drawn in bold, but resizing can happen while I'm looking at that part of the code too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:29:02 pm by Violet CLM »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 09:34:46 pm »

I did take a look at the card templates you sent me and they weren't seriously usable. They were half the size and had inconsistent proportions, inconsistent positions, and inconsistent fill patterns (read: clone brush usage). They weren't even layered. There's no way to use them that doesn't involve scrapping all but one and starting from scratch, but at a smaller resolution, with an unremovable price coin icon, and with no obvious benefits to make up for it.

I am sympathetic to the argument that I should be using the colors people are most familiar with from other templates, even though those have been warped by printing and later scanning, rather than the ones that I think are most likely to be canonical, but using those particular images is not the way to get that result.

I will be looking at the inline icons some more. I know official cards are not consistent about their sizing, but because this is a program I do actually need a consistent rule, so I expect I'll look at a bunch of Empires cards (because they use the most updated style) and figure out what looks right from there. The most important bit is to get the $ symbol in "+$" to turn into a coin icon and the + to be drawn in bold, but resizing can happen while I'm looking at that part of the code too.
Hmm, I didn't realize the templates I sent you didn't work. Sorry about that, I'll still see what I can do. The ones you have are mainly fine, I guess it's just my arrogant preference  :P.

It just needs the number smaller in the icon, compare the 6 in the capital you posted and the official version.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:33:11 am by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2016, 01:56:10 pm »

The middle text should be Times New Roman FYI.

Also, if there's room it should give some extra room above and below dividing lines if there is space.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:57:39 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2016, 04:12:51 pm »
+5

I haven't gotten the impression that the amount of vertical space taken up by a dividing line is a constant, so I'm mostly leaving that to the domain of additional line breaks.

Maybe I should post an (unordered) todo list.
  • Landscape mode for events and landmarks. (Done.)
  • Illustration credit field. (Done.)
  • Draw + and related symbols inside coins as superscripts.
  • Draw coin/etc. icons and their numbers in description at their proper constant sizes, rather than relative to the size of the surrounding text.
  • Make direct reference to the icons' individual widths so that potions aren't assumed to have the same width as coins.
  • Parse and format +$ properly.
  • Add an option for users to define their own icons and accompanying characters alongside $, %, @, and ^.
  • Similarly, a way to specify a set image (in the bottom right) might be nice.
  • Italics.
  • Options for positioning and/or resizing the illustration.
  • Include more verbose instructions, as well as credits, somewhere on the webpage itself.
  • Ruins recolor option. (Done.)

Not on the todo list is completely arbitrary font resizing like on Caravan Guard. There comes a time you have to take things to a genuine image editor program.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:41:43 am by Violet CLM »

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 01:09:20 am »
+3

Thank you so much for making this! Ive been lurking on the forums for a long while and just printing off other people cards, but with this I can finally try out my own ideas  :D

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 08:59:02 am »

I concur on this, and am mainly posting to bump it so it stays near the top regardless.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 12:04:04 pm »

I concur on this, and am mainly posting to bump it so it stays near the top regardless.

I also agree.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 12:35:14 pm »

I've never actually made a fan card, but yeah I agree that this should be a sticky.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 05:21:30 pm »

I greatly appreciate the thought, but if it's going to be stickied at all, wait until I've finished addressing some of the tips for improvement that have been posted :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2017, 11:08:29 pm »

Any news on the Landscape mode front?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 03:21:55 am »
+5

Okay, I guess it's Version 1.2 time. I added an Art Credit field and a Ruins color scheme, shifted some other shades around a little bit, and provided a new menu in the bottom left for choosing which template type to use. Landscape mode is in.

Other stuff remains woefully unfinished. Sorry. I've not been doing so hot lately, so I thought I might as well at least put this stuff out, even though the icon code needs work, because imperfect landscape cards are better than none. :)

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Card Image Generator v1.2
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 10:12:16 am »

It takes forever to load, now.  :'(
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:32 pm »

NVM, it works now. I just needed to restart my browser.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 10:36:39 am »

Amazing! Thanks for this. I'm working on a homebrew Expack and was losing sleep mulling over how to get the layout done, since I cannot into art.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2017, 01:28:38 pm »

All my card links broke. Is the generator just going through some changes?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2017, 03:12:28 pm »

I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality this generator delivers. Only tried it out now, but wow. If I was able to place images anywhere in the frame, I'd use it over my own any time. Well, maybe not to mock up cards in other languages, as the auto-bolding only seems to work for certain expressions (which also appears to mean I can't define my own). Apart from that, it's very impressive. Chapeau.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12  All

Page created in 1.271 seconds with 21 queries.