Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Equilibrium  (Read 4004 times)

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Equilibrium
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:32:58 pm »

Finally, a puzzle that doesn't involve a bunch of counting! Hopefully it hasn't come up before.

What kinds of situations can you think of that involve both players endlessly playing the same moves over and over again?
Don't worry about the likelihood of them actually getting there.

For example: KCx2, Monumentx3: Both players are getting 9 VP a turn. Unless some other power cards are around, nobody wants to break it.

Or, all the coppers are trashed, and nobody has treasure or gainers.

Or, Highway, KC,Smugglers, and Colonies, plenty of draw, and no + buy.

There are surely many more subtle ones.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
Re: Equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:39:49 am »

Each player has Pirate Ship, Estate, Estate, Estate, Loan in their hand with no deck and nothing on their Pirate Ship mat.  Neither player wants to buy a copper for fear that one of their treasures is the 6th card and the opposing Pirate Ship eats it.

Both players have Possession, Copper and there is one Estate left before a 3-pile.  Each player some stuff (including other trashers) on their Island mats and the green cards there combined with any VP tokens make the score tied.  First player to buy a Copper has their turn Possessed and the Estate taken.  At least, I think that's how it would work - possibilities of playing Possession on a Possession turn makes my head spin.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:02:49 am by Razzishi »
Stop reading my signature.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:11:05 am »

Playing Possession on a Possession turn causes him to possess you.  So that would indeed be a standstill.

I actually had something similar to that Pirate Ship one happen to me.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:54:13 am »

Yet another reason why you wouldn't buy Coppers in a similar standstill would be if they are embargoed, with equal scores and a single Curse left for three-piling.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:30:01 am by pst »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:58 am »

bazaar, bazaar, chapel, saboteur, saboteur would be a hand that neither player would want to build up from.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:54:24 pm »
+1

Tie game. There's one province left, and one estate left which will end the game on a three pile. The copper pile is empty, and both players' decks consist of two cards: a governor and a bank.

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:25:29 pm »

I like yours, ehunt.

An asymmetric one would be KC Torturer Duchess Estate Estate and the other player has GGSEE and there's one curse left from a 3-pile. Chances are p1 would not want to risk buying coppers, but of course an embargo would keep them away.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:01:51 am »

Tie game. There's one province left, and one estate left which will end the game on a three pile. The copper pile is empty, and both players' decks consist of two cards: a governor and a bank.

I'm being slow... how does this end in a loop?

Surely the first player up will gain a gold, then next turn buy the estate?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:27:57 am »

I'm being slow... how does this end in a loop?

Surely the first player up will gain a gold, then next turn buy the estate?

If the first player gains a Gold, his opponent will buy the Estate with their Silver ;)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:58 am »

Oh I see! That's very clever...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:42:12 am »

This is pretty similar to a few already posted, but what if Coppers and Curses are empty, and each player's deck consists of only $1 and no gainers?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »
+1

This is pretty similar to a few already posted, but what if Coppers and Curses are empty, and each player's deck consists of only $1 and no gainers?

You hit both players, and tell them they aren't allowed to play Dominion anymore.

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »

I like yours, ehunt.

An asymmetric one would be KC Torturer Duchess Estate Estate and the other player has GGSEE and there's one curse left from a 3-pile. Chances are p1 would not want to risk buying coppers, but of course an embargo would keep them away.
wait, how does this one work, is the idea that the player with two governers would win if the other player tries to buy a 6 card with KC-Duchess?
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

ratxt1

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:49:16 pm »

wait how does this one work, is the idea that the player with two governers would win if the other player tries to buy a 6 card with KC-Duchess?
the G stands for gold not governer they would buy the last province.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »

You have to specify that the other empty pile is curses, or else the first player should buy a curse and then Governor it the next turn to gain the Estate.

Or... wait.  Scratch that.  You don't even need to specify that copper is empty.  If someone tries to buy copper/curse and then use Governor to get the Estate, the opponent can choose to trash their Bank and get the last Province.

Edit: Wait no, you could buy copper and play it with Bank to grab the Estate.  I am not thinking. :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:14:37 pm by eHalcyon »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.