Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2016 Edition: Ruins  (Read 7518 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
The Dominion Cards Lists 2016 Edition: Ruins
« on: December 02, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »
+13

I received 45 votes for this list.

The Ruins

#5 =0 Ruined Village (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 0.8% ▲0.5pp / Unweighted Average: 1.1% / Median: 0% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 5.2%

Again there is no change here. Nearly everyone voted Ruined Village last, only 2 didn't and voted it second last.
#4 =0 Ruined Library (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 47.5% ▲0.8pp / Unweighted Average: 46.1% / Median: 50% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 23.5%

Again the closest battle was between #4 and #3. Ruined Library is the second worse Ruin again with one vote on last and 2 votes on the first rank.
#3 =0 Survivors (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 49.8% ▼0.7pp / Unweighted Average: 54.4% / Median: 50% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 24.3%

Survivors is also still on the same rank, especially lower ranked player voted it higher. It has 5 votes on the first rank.
#2 =0 Abandoned Mine (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 66.2% ▼6.7pp / Unweighted Average: 62.8% / Median: 75% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 26.2%

After losing the first rank last year, Abandoned Mine stays on the same rank, yeah it was even more obvious, nearly 20pp is the gap to rank 1. It was voted last once and first 9 times. It has the highest deviation in this list.
#1 =0 Ruined Market (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 85.9% ▲6.4pp / Unweighted Average: 85.6% / Median: 100% ▲25.0pp / Standard Deviation: 23.3%

Ruined Market stays on the first rank, so the whole list didn't change. And with that big of a lead there's not a lot of doubt of it being first.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2016 Edition: Ruins
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:13:30 pm »

Yay! :D

As always, not the most exciting list, but glad we're off!
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:20:01 pm »
+4

This. Changes. Everything.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:32:16 pm »
+1

I guess we can have the yearly way-too-fierce debate of the relative merits of Abandoned Mine vs Ruined Market.

I still don't care for Survivors.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:35:45 pm »
+4

Ruined Library should have been higher than Survivors.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

aladdinstardust

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:00:22 pm »

As is apparently the case with most people, this is precisely the order I ranked the ruins.

I'm surprised as many as two people ranked Ruined Village higher than last. I'm guessing they play a lot of boards with Conspirator and Peddler. Maybe there's another reason. Either way, its extremely interesting.

Ruined Market on top makes sense simply due to the fact that sometimes you end up as the only person with a +Buy, and that can be the difference between winning and losing.

Abandoned Mine was a very close second for me because I have used it to great effect more often than I have Ruined Market. Nevertheless, a +Buy when no other is available beats a terminal copper on principle alone. Depending on your principles, of course. The real issue, though, is which do you want junking your deck if you already have +Buy? Well, in that case, I'd probably rather have the coin. So like I said, a close one, but in the end, I went with principle.

Survivors and Ruined Library were next for me, and as much as I love the phrase +1 Card, I decided that unplanned terminal draw is far too frightening. Therefore, I put the marginal usefulness of Survivors above the possibly?-but-maybe-not?-what-should-I-do? usefulness of Ruined Library. This one I could see going either way, that was just my thought process.

Looking forward to more results and discussion!  :D

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:38:02 pm »

Yay! Qvist Rankings returns. Thanks Qvist.

Not much to say on this list. Everything looks okay to me.

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 01:11:02 am »
+1

I'm surprised as many as two people ranked Ruined Village higher than last. I'm guessing they play a lot of boards with Conspirator and Peddler. Maybe there's another reason. Either way, its extremely interesting.
Another reason is that draw-to tends to handle ruined village quite a bit better. It's still very situational, but it's far less of a nuisance in those situations.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 10:23:33 am »

Ruined Market shouldn't be highest. When it's good it shines more than any other ruin, but when it doesn't shine it's marginally better than Ruined Village.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:42:33 am »
+14

Ruined Market shouldn't be highest. When it's good it shines more than any other ruin, but when it doesn't shine it's marginally better than Ruined Village.

I thought you had a thing for cards that are marginally better than Ruined Village.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:43:25 am »
+2

I thought you had a thing for cards that are marginally better than Ruined Village.
I have a bunch of posts about Scout that I drafted in the notes app back in the spring. Don't make me let them loose!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 06:48:13 pm »

I have a bunch of posts about Scout that I drafted in the notes app back in the spring. Don't make me let them loose!

I'm not worried. You won't be able to let loose but 4 at a time, and if you do let 4 loose, you'll soon lose the ability to look for more. But maybe you're talking about two-topic posts where the second topic might lead to something interesting?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:49:26 pm by Marcory »

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 04:05:08 pm »
+1

I find it so funny this was made. Not saying it's a bad idea, just funny.

Village as the worst is pretty self-explanatory and I'd wholly agree for the majority of boards. Even w/ TR/KC/etc., you'll often rather have a pseudo-Moat/Smithy than a Necropolis/+3 actions.

Ruined Market as #1 is pretty reasonable. I was immediately drawn to Survivors at first and thought of that as the best ruin until somewhat recently. RM is awesome(ish,) I'll often get Death Cart mostly in hopes I'll pick one up w/ no other buys(generally a bad idea tho.) But even w/ buys it can be a big deal, way better than pretty much nothing, 1 card, a copper that takes an action,  or Survivors(usually.)

The only point I'd(tentatively,) contest is Abandoned Mine over Survivors. Giving Coppers themselves is considered junking, giving Coppers that take an action will generally be worse(and since Survivors are also an action it's fine to ignore that benefit to AM over Copper.) The odds can't be that great you'll get AM in a hand where you do significantly benefit from +$1(5 becoming 6 is often not much, for instance. You'll often want Lab over Gold anyways,) and can afford to play the action.

In heavy slog games, which aren't that unlikely w/ ruins, AM might get you to a negligible $ benchmark, while Survivors might at least do some cycling of crap. They also have some synergy w/ Tunnel, which is often a very important card when it shows up. Survivors can be useful against stuff like Rabble and Sea Hag too, and if you put the 2 cards back that can be good w/ stuff like Mystic or Wishing Well, actions permitting.

On the flip side you have the fact that putting the cards back means replaying Survivors w/ TR or something is wholly useless. That sucks, but you should have better actions to replay than ruins anyways. Really ruins are all generally bad tho, so how they're ranked bar the obvious bottom 2 and clear #1 is largely irrelevant.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.