Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Second Edition Cards: Replace  (Read 12965 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Second Edition Cards: Replace
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 08:14:45 pm »

Replace isn't that hard at all. It's a topdecking Remodel that Curses if you get Victory cards.
As noted, it's only conditionally topdecking.

Also, like Minion it has the complication that it's an Attack whether or not you reach the attacking bit of it.

Also, the card touches your discard pile before being topdecked, so you have to figure out all the lose-track fun.

Shvegait

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 11:00:30 pm »

Also, the card touches your discard pile before being topdecked, so you have to figure out all the lose-track fun.

None of those cards are in base or Intrigue, so this only comes up when you're playing with later expansions.

If you wanted to pick a card that is more advanced/more difficult to master than the first expansion is "supposed" to be, I would go with Lurker. That one is a mind bender.
If you wanted to pick a wordy card that is difficult to comprehend on first glance, I would go with Diplomat.
Or for both of these, if you include base 2nd edition, maybe Sentry is a bit too complex there.

Replace does have a lot of words, but it's just a Remodel+, so if you already understand Remodel, you just have to learn the extra part.

Also, Replace works great with the dual-type Victory cards, especially with Mill costing 4 replacing Great Hall costing 3. If you want, you can go Estate -> Mill -> Harem/Nobles -> Province, doling out curses each step of the way. So it's a good fit in that way.

Finally, if you consider Replace as, uhh, replacing, Saboteur, you haven't really changed the wordiness level of the expansion at all. (And there are clear parallels. Replace is a +$2 remodel for you, Saboteur is a -$2 remodel for the other player(s). Both are attacks that can make your opponent's deck worse.)

If I had to criticize:
It does mean Intrigue has 3 attacks that give out curses, but at least they are all conditional or optional so they don't usually run the curse pile down too quickly.
Upgrade in the same set also does the whole trash a card, gain a more expensive card thing. It plays differently enough, though.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 01:10:16 am »
+1

Replace isn't that hard at all. It's a topdecking Remodel that Curses if you get Victory cards.
As noted, it's only conditionally topdecking.

Also, like Minion it has the complication that it's an Attack whether or not you reach the attacking bit of it.

Lose-track is a rule that literally doesn't matter until Dark Ages when it was first coined.

It only topdecks cards you want to topdeck. This isn't too confusing for a relatively new player to grasp. Gonna be honest, even Bureaucrat is more confusing than this card.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 03:53:07 am »

Gonna be honest, even Bureaucrat is more confusing than this card.

Because it topdecks cards you don't want to topdeck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 08:15:16 am »

Lose-track is a rule that literally doesn't matter until Dark Ages when it was first coined.
Border Village.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 10:24:14 am »
+4

Mining Village - hey in Intrigue - is the first case where lose-track matters. You play Throne Room, it makes you play Mining Village. You trash it for the +$2. Throne Room makes you play Mining Village again... and does not pull it from the trash into play (which would let you trash it again for +$2).

Technically this happens with Feast too, but it doesn't make a difference there.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 11:37:50 am »

Mining Village - hey in Intrigue - is the first case where lose-track matters. You play Throne Room, it makes you play Mining Village. You trash it for the +$2. Throne Room makes you play Mining Village again... and does not pull it from the trash into play (which would let you trash it again for +$2).

Technically this happens with Feast too, but it doesn't make a difference there.

I didn't think that's really Lose-Track, though - its an "if you do" clause you can't execute. I guess the fact that you can't trash it from the trash is the lose track part.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:37 pm »

Though I... think it's academic because the lose-track rule means the things which might otherwise let you try don't, I've always been unclear whether or not it's possible to trash cards that are in the trash.

Similarly, if you Throne something, you play it twice, but do you put it in play twice? i.e. the second time, do you take it from your play area and put it in your play area, or do you fail to put it in play because it's already there?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2019, 01:21:43 pm »
+3

I didn't think that's really Lose-Track, though - its an "if you do" clause you can't execute. I guess the fact that you can't trash it from the trash is the lose track part.

The fact that you can't trash it from the trash is a different rule, but the fact that it is in the trash after Throne Room fails to put it into play because it's not where TR expects it to be is the lose track part.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 01:56:19 pm »
+1

The reason you can't execute the "if you do" is because of lose track. Lose track doesn't stop you from tashing it from the trash. Lose track stops you from putting the card from the trash back into in-play. Which both stops you from trashing it a second time, and stops you from getting it back after you trashed it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.