Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Second Edition Cards: Diplomat  (Read 4498 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Second Edition Cards: Diplomat
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »
+4

Oh, I'm sorry, it's just this book is far more interesting than you are.

-How reliable is this as a Village?
-How useful is this as an Attack Reaction?
-How many do you want, if any?
-Would you ever get this for mainly terminal draw purposes?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Second Edition Cards: Diplomat
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:59:32 pm »
+1

This seems utterly bonkers against discard attacks.  "Oh, I'll keep the best 3 (or 4) of 7 cards, and then "start" my next turn with 4 (or 5) cards and 2 actions."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:43:16 pm »
+1

This feels kind of like the draw-to-X village we've all been waiting for. It's good with discard-for-benefit and non-terminal gainers like Ironworks and Lurker.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:57:59 pm »
+4

Diplomat as a village needs a lot of non-terminal handsize reduction help. This does exist and can work extremely well - Warehouse, Dungeon, Artificer, Crace, Upgrade, and the like can all very easily drop your hand size down without needing a starting action to kickstart things. Artificer/Diplo works pretty well - gain a Diplo, play Diplo, Play the Diplo you just gained -> have 3 cards and $1 to buy another artificer. More generally, pretty much any board where you have a non-cantrip, non-terminal you want to mass can make diplomat work well to jump start an engine.

However, on most boards diplomat only really shines if you have both a way to reduce hand size and some other village. If you are massing non-terminals then the +2 actions of Diplo are not that useful. A number of cards can give you both - Nv, Sqr, and Hamlet can all work decently - cheap villages and cheap + cheap draw can often setup a nice simple engine; adding in something for payload (like say Hamlet/Diplo/Conspirator. With the right setup Diplomat becomes an activated City (or a penalty-less Lost city), and this can be extremely good with discard for benefit. Beyond Artificing, something like Vault or Count can combo up quite nicely (Vault/Nv/Diplo can churn a lot of coins; every Vault/Diplo combo can basically give you a Gm for $8).

Another fun option is with Borrow, you can get a bonus action just by always taking the penalty card. This can allow clutch two card combos (e.g. Discard -> Masq) or just allow you to accrue actions with other limited source (e.g. Nec/Diplo can let you play Goons x3 for 12 VP + whatever green you want to buy). Similarly Diplo makes Opost easier to kick off.

With attacks out, Diplo is just an insanely good enhancement to engine reliability. You get a free warehouse play, get to draw back $5 and start with 2 actions for ANY attack type. Even terribly weak things like early game Fteller, late game Cpurse, or deck inspection. She is particularly good if your opponent can be forced to play dead attacks late game (e.g. curseless Witchs or Hags via Golem).

Using it as a Moat is going to be reasonably common. Moat is not a bad card when you can pick it up for cheap (e.g. Iw, Wshop); being 2x as expensive is bad for when you want to buy a $5/2 combo, but it still works well with a lot of gainers (aside from cost reduction, Hermit, and Knights; Diplo should be viable most anywhere that Moat is viable; though the Remodel family may be more marginal). Diplo works extremely well with multiple plays (Rc, Tr, Kc, etc.), just like Moat, and is generally superior against non-junking attacks when there are equal opportunity cost. Certainly there are times where a higher cost is better - like with Upgrade late game.

In short, Diplo is large enhancement in reliability if you can go down a card without first spending an action. As draw, Diplo is weak, but viable on a large number of boards. As a reaction, Diplo will goose the latter portion of the early game to give a lot more "half-engine" hits and much more quickly get a proper engine going - enough so that I would be hesitant about buying weaker, but sensible attacks (e.g. Cpurse).

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:03:28 pm »

-How reliable is this as a Village?
If you are being attacked this is a decent village. It won't happen very often where this is the olny village, no attacks being played and you can reliably play two+ terminals.

-How useful is this as an Attack Reaction?
This is the key utility of the card. Starting with 3 good cards and a lost city(that has to be played first) is really good.

-How many do you want, if any?
It really depends. If there is an attack that will be played every turn you might want quite a few.

-Would you ever get this for mainly terminal draw purposes?
Yes, I sometimes by witches after the curses are gone.

Also Diplomat is really good in a cultist mirror.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:07:48 pm by Limetime »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:26:41 pm »

However, on most boards diplomat only really shines if you have both a way to reduce hand size and some other village. If you are massing non-terminals then the +2 actions of Diplo are not that useful.

I think it could be worth sliding a few Oases or Candlestick Makers into a Diplomat deck to add terminal space.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 11:31:46 pm »
+1

I hadn't even thought about the fact that it didn't need a discard attack.  That truly is crazy.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 03:04:32 pm »
+1

Diplomat as a village needs a lot of non-terminal handsize reduction help. This does exist and can work extremely well - Warehouse, Dungeon, Artificer, Crace, Upgrade, and the like can all very easily drop your hand size down without needing a starting action to kickstart things.

What in the world is "Crace"? At first I thought it was a typo and was straining my brain to figure out what it was meant to be. Now I think it's Chariot Race? But Chariot Race never lowers your hand size (unless you've already drawn your deck in which case who cares).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 03:11:10 pm »
+5

Diplomat as a village needs a lot of non-terminal handsize reduction help. This does exist and can work extremely well - Warehouse, Dungeon, Artificer, Crace, Upgrade, and the like can all very easily drop your hand size down without needing a starting action to kickstart things.

What in the world is "Crace"? At first I thought it was a typo and was straining my brain to figure out what it was meant to be. Now I think it's Chariot Race? But Chariot Race never lowers your hand size (unless you've already drawn your deck in which case who cares).

I think it's a typo for Hamlet.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 08:40:27 am »
+2

I think it's a typo for Hamlet.

Actually for Crown, no idea how the wires with Chariot race got crossed that way. The Tr family likes Diplo, it allows you to get a card out of hand to get the city effect and then to draw another +2 cards. 7 cards and 2 actions is a nice way to start a hand. I was waffling between putting the Tr family in as a village or just as a non-terminal, I cut a sentence but forgot to paste it back in elsewhere.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.759 seconds with 20 queries.