Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best Promotional Cards To Buy My Brother?  (Read 6660 times)

DKL

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Best Promotional Cards To Buy My Brother?
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:44:50 am »

So Christmas is coming up, and I wanted to buy my older brother some Dominion Cards for Christmas! My only problem is which ones to buy...?

Currently, my older brother owns:
Dominion
Seaside
Intrigue
Alchemy

Which cards would be best to buy for him to go with the cards he already has access to? Where's the best places to buy(other than Ebay)?

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Best Promotional Cards To Buy My Brother?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 09:25:12 am »

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/search?q=dominion

Get Prince, Governor, Envoy, Walled Village in that order depending how much you want to spend.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 04:26:31 pm »
+1

If you're pllaning to get multiple promos, you might want to rather get a (Small) expansion.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 09:36:28 pm »
+2

If you were to get a promo though, try and get the Sauna/Avanto promo.

Also, the update packs are small and $15 each, but have 7 cards which is the cost of three promo cards.

You can avoid Stash safely as far as promos go. Also, Walled Village is another Village and while nice isn't the most exciting promo.

DKL

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:17:47 pm »

Okay, well I'm willing to spend about $20 or $30 max. What sorts of options does that leave me with that might be better options?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 10:19:56 pm »

Okay, well I'm willing to spend about $20 or $30 max. What sorts of options does that leave me with that might be better options?
You could find a small set (Alchemy, Guilds, or Cornucopia) for that price range. I'm not sure which out of Guilds or Cornucopia I'd recommend, they're both excellent choices.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

DKL

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 10:24:13 pm »

You could find a small set (Alchemy, Guilds, or Cornucopia) for that price range. I'm not sure which out of Guilds or Cornucopia I'd recommend, they're both excellent choices.
As I said above he has Alchemy. He doesn't have Guilds or Cornucopia though. Would it be OK to buy him Guilds even though Cornucopia was released earlier than Guilds? Amazon says Guilds adds depth and complexity, it won't make the game annoyingly long/complex though? I don't want to buy him something he won't be happy with D:

edit: Oh, I just found this! :O
https://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Cornucopia-Guilds-Card-Game/dp/B00XRDONWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480130922&sr=8-3&keywords=dominion+hinterlands
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:32:27 pm by DKL »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 10:35:36 pm »

As I said above he has Alchemy. He doesn't have Guilds or Cornucopia though. Would it be OK to buy him Guilds even though Cornucopia was released earlier than Guilds? Amazon says Guilds adds depth and complexity, it won't make the game annoyingly long/complex though? I don't want to buy him something he won't be happy with D:

edit: Oh, I just found this! :O
https://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Cornucopia-Guilds-Card-Game/dp/B00XRDONWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480130922&sr=8-3&keywords=dominion+hinterlands
That's a pretty good find. It's probably slightly cheaper than buying them both separately.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:47:21 am »
+1

Would it be OK to buy him Guilds even though Cornucopia was released earlier than Guilds?

Yes. After all, the game is supposed to function well with any random 10 cards, so it'll function just as well with a random selection from the first 4 sets and Guilds as it does with a random selection from the 4 first sets and Cornucopia.

Amazon says Guilds adds depth and complexity, it won't make the game annoyingly long/complex though? I don't want to buy him something he won't be happy with D:

Not annoyingly long for sure, the expansion might actually speed your games up because all of the cards are fast to resolve and most of them tend to make games shorter in terms of turns. As far as complexity is concerned, that depends on what you find annoyingly complex — if you're struggling with buying decisions and don't like the idea of struggling with them significantly more than you already are, Guilds might be too complex because it does precisely that (probably more than any other expansion). If that doesn't sound like a problem, then it'll probably be a fun expansion to get.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DKL

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 11:19:00 am »
+1

Would it be OK to buy him Guilds even though Cornucopia was released earlier than Guilds?

Yes. After all, the game is supposed to function well with any random 10 cards, so it'll function just as well with a random selection from the first 4 sets and Guilds as it does with a random selection from the 4 first sets and Cornucopia.

Amazon says Guilds adds depth and complexity, it won't make the game annoyingly long/complex though? I don't want to buy him something he won't be happy with D:

Not annoyingly long for sure, the expansion might actually speed your games up because all of the cards are fast to resolve and most of them tend to make games shorter in terms of turns. As far as complexity is concerned, that depends on what you find annoyingly complex — if you're struggling with buying decisions and don't like the idea of struggling with them significantly more than you already are, Guilds might be too complex because it does precisely that (probably more than any other expansion). If that doesn't sound like a problem, then it'll probably be a fun expansion to get.
Thanks!

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 08:39:54 am »
+1

Well he allready has Alchemy. There is probably no set that makes the game more annyoingly long than that so you are safe there.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 06:14:37 am »

Don't feel obliged to follow the order in which the expansions came out.

I personally own Intrigue, Dark Ages and Adventures, and plan on getting Empires next (if it ever releases in Dutch, which I'm starting to doubt, but that's another story).
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 04:35:37 pm »
+2

If he owns the first editions of Dominion and/or Intrigue, then I highly recommend buying one of the update packs for him.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/209357/dominion-update-pack
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/209358/dominion-intrigue-update-pack

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 01:55:01 pm »

I personally own Intrigue, Dark Ages and Adventures, and plan on getting Empires next (if it ever releases in Dutch, which I'm starting to doubt, but that's another story).
http://www.999games.nl/dominion-keizerrijken.html
This seems like it should be coming shortly? Then again, the page has been like this for... About two months?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »
+1

http://www.999games.nl/dominion-keizerrijken.html
This seems like it should be coming shortly? Then again, the page has been like this for... About two months?

In June, they said probably around August. Then in August, they said probably late September. Then in September, it was said we have to wait until early November. When October rolled around, they finally gave an official release date, namely November 15! But they didn't make it, not even close, and delayed it AGAIN, this time until December 5.

But I'm not holding my breath this time...

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 08:23:40 am »
+1

As expected, it has been delayed AGAIN, this time to January 10, proving that 999 Games really doesn't give a shit about their costumers.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 07:50:28 am »
+1

As expected, it has been delayed AGAIN, this time to January 10, proving that 999 Games really doesn't give a shit about their costumers.
Well, there goes my Christmas present

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 12:26:44 pm »

Well, there goes my Christmas present

Your avatar is just too perfect for this.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.