Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beaten by my own Lookout (and numerous other things too)  (Read 1668 times)

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
Beaten by my own Lookout (and numerous other things too)
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

Yes, I had some putrid luck in this game. I'm aware of that. Still, was the strategy of going Ghost Ship and then Torturer sound? And what could I have done (other than not opening Worker's Village since I know that was a mistake here) to help myself here because this was just frustrating to try and play. The couple of turns where this deck worked, it worked beautifully though.

I'll just leave this here and move along and let everyone here tear it apart.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/04/game-20120204-130614-30bbf09a.html

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Beaten by my own Lookout (and numerous other things too)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:25:55 pm »

1. worker's village + lookout is not a terrible opening with peddlers lurking, especially because you'll want the worker's village later for torturing. wv + silver makes a little less sense to me, but isn't terrible. i may be wrong, as the power fives are so important that it may be worth foregoing an aggressive peddler opening in favor of making sure you'll get 5 on the second shuffle. but wv + silver seems like a mix and match of an aggressive peddler opening and a make sure you get 5 on the second shuffle opening, and that can't be right. lookout + lookout is not bad at scoring you peddlers either.

2. fundamentally, i think ghost ship is a distraction in this game. OK, playing a ghost ship and then a bunch of torturers is really mean, but playing a bunch of torturers is

a. less mean, but still really really mean
b. a lot easier to pull off, since
   i. the torturer draws you more cards, making a turn where you fire off that much more likely and
   ii. if your chain of meanness depends only on four torturers, then it doesn't matter which one's on top. but if it invovles ghost ship, the ghost ship has to be in your hand - with a village, of course - for the chain to work. That's asking for too much luck, at least without something like scheme around. GS + torturer + torturer + torturer is infinitesimally meaner than quadruple torturer, but torturer + torturer + GS + torturer is nicer! (and nets you fewer cards.)

(edit: 2.b.ii is probably true, but not as clear as I make it sound. ghost ship in the middle of a torturer chain is meaner than another torturer if your opponent has been taking curses; it's only nicer if the opponent has 3 or fewer cards in hand. i stand by the gist of the argument, which is that the mean-ness is luck-dependent.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:42:06 pm by ehunt »

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Beaten by my own Lookout (and numerous other things too)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:01:31 pm »

1. worker's village + lookout is not a terrible opening with peddlers lurking, especially because you'll want the worker's village later for torturing. wv + silver makes a little less sense to me, but isn't terrible. i may be wrong, as the power fives are so important that it may be worth foregoing an aggressive peddler opening in favor of making sure you'll get 5 on the second shuffle. but wv + silver seems like a mix and match of an aggressive peddler opening and a make sure you get 5 on the second shuffle opening, and that can't be right. lookout + lookout is not bad at scoring you peddlers either.

Lookout/Lookout seems likely to be a pretty big dog to WV/Lookout in terms of Peddler rushing. And I think Peddler rushing is probably what I'd be inclined to do on this board. Once you've done that, it's quite easy to go back and then pick up a couple of attacks. I think the timing on this is likely to work out just fine - since you're getting WVs and building your economy, you will transition smoothly into an already fully functioning Torturer engine quite quickly. If your opponent went attacks first, then you will probably have a decisive Peddler advantage - if your opponent is also Peddler rushing, then you're basically at parity.

The Horse Traders/Shanty Town opening is interesting, in that it allows flexibility to go either way depending upon what you draw.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.