Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 63  All

Author Topic: M90: Literature Mafia (Scum wins!)  (Read 156123 times)

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
Re: M90: Literature Mafia (Day 2)
« Reply #700 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:35 am »

As general pattern I would propose the following:

Agreement: Vote nolynch followed by unvote
Disagreement: Vote poster followed by vote no-lynch followed by unvote

Scum-read: Vote scumread followed by unvote (number of repetitions might imply strength of scumread)
Town-read: Vote townread followed by unvote [followed by Vote nolynch followed by unvote] (number of repetitions of part in brackets might imply strength of townread)

I think this kind of pattern would be pretty unambiguous while staying very simple. Utilization by scum might be avoided by opening tabs with votes beforehand to click them in a very short period of time.
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #701 on: December 20, 2016, 10:02:42 am »

Lalight's first post is talking about the mafia kill (I assume) which is a scum thing to do.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 20, 2016, 10:17:20 am »

As general pattern I would propose the following:

Agreement: Vote nolynch followed by unvote
Disagreement: Vote poster followed by vote no-lynch followed by unvote

Scum-read: Vote scumread followed by unvote (number of repetitions might imply strength of scumread)
Town-read: Vote townread followed by unvote [followed by Vote nolynch followed by unvote] (number of repetitions of part in brackets might imply strength of townread)

I think this kind of pattern would be pretty unambiguous while staying very simple. Utilization by scum might be avoided by opening tabs with votes beforehand to click them in a very short period of time.

I like this.
We really really really need to hit scum today.

Ok. Who do you think is scum?
Some wagon analysis incoming, I started earlier but had to do something, back at it again! Going in, I'm most suspicious of LaLight, just to vocalize where my head is at before I look into it further.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 20, 2016, 10:33:56 am »

Vote: Calamitas

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 20, 2016, 10:46:54 am »

Lalight's first post is talking about the mafia kill (I assume) which is a scum thing to do.

Why is it? And if it even is, why'd I do you it? And why i even posted? I'm just really sad seeing gkrieg killed, is all.

Eevee, why me? From where did you all take that?
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: December 20, 2016, 10:52:06 am »

Do you think he is scum? Why?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 20, 2016, 10:56:47 am »

I read Day 1.  Very active with no scumhunting.  I think he thinks that he's being helpful, which is what you try to do when you're scum.  Especially continuing today.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 20, 2016, 10:57:37 am »

I read Day 1.  Very active with no scumhunting.  I think he thinks that he's being helpful, which is what you try to do when you're scum.  Especially continuing today.
Do you really think that is alignment indicative?
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 20, 2016, 10:58:26 am »

Yes.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: M90: Literature Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #709 on: December 20, 2016, 11:07:01 am »

Silverspawn wagon:

If I'm reading the setup correctly, there can be 0-2 restless spirits, so it's not a counterclaimable role. The downside of lynching teamlyle and being wrong would be smaller, but it's also opportunity cost unless we really think he is most likely to be scum. I think I have a tendency of giving unforced claims a little too much town credit, but this doesn't seem like something scum would want to claim - wouldn't they be very worried about being lynched "just in case?"

I like Vote: silverspawn better, creeping suspicion from earlier, and I think he fits the bill for someone trying to control the game "from the shadows" without putting themselves at risk.
Me starting the wagon.

SA sheeps, no explanation.

*people posting about teamlyle and how to approach his claim*

teamlyle sheeps, no explanation.

I haven't really checked the odds (even though I LOVE calculating odds) because I don't think they are relevant in this scenario. Lynching scum is better than lynching town, period. Failing that, getting information is the best we can do. Lynching town in a way that makes people unaccountable for their vote (because setup/numbers) does not do that.

So we should stop discussing the advantages of lynching a Restless Spirit, because it's detracting from actual scumhunting, and lynch someone else. From the people that currently have a vote on them, my preferred choice is vote: silverspawn, because he is playing the way I would expect him to play as scum: being present without committing himself too much, and voting for people for relatively easy reasons.

I could do Lalight or SA too, I think.
pacovf joins the wagon.

Vote: Pacovf. Slightly OMGUS, slightly me not liking his first post.

"I would only vote for Eevee or Calamitas if it's between that or no-lynch." (Sorry for no quotations)

It's D1! You look into your gut feelings mostly (esp. when there's 12 players) and you should be ready for lynching quite anyone (being town). You haven't explained why Eevee and Calamitas and also this sentence doesn't really make sense. What if they scumslip of anything? Scum's always sure about alignments of people, we can see it the vividest D1.
LaLight follows this, which I don't really get. Having 2 players out of 11 possible in your wouldn't lynch pool is certainly very sensible. If all of town would be ok with lynching anyone, how could we ever lynch scum? Not that we did now, but you got to prefer your scum reads and I don't like LL throwing suspicion at pacovf for this.
no, if teamlyle doesn't cooperate, it's just like any other town(?) lynch.

This is really strange post. For what reason Teamlyle won't cooperate? You presume, he won't be reading the thread?

Overall I agree with Calamitas about lynching Teamlyle, but after this post i'm inclined to Vote: Silverspawn because it's just scummy.
It's confusing though, because this is LL's next post.

I don't like Eevee spreading votes. We can come to no lynch this way.
Another very weird finger of suspicion from LaLight. I actively pushed for the lynch candidate I strongly felt was scummier (there was still enough time and people for either lynch, clearly). Of course we know now both targets were town, so I don't know what this means. Like, it feels scummy, but I can't really wrap my head around what would the end game be here, for either alignment.

gkrieg, who had been vocal about not liking the teamlyle lynch, joins the ss wagon here.

Lalight jumps on as well, says we need to consolidate votes ( these are practically back to back posts, 17 hours to the deadline)

Robz agrees with my post about the disadvantages of lynching teamlyle

Calamitas and people argue back and forth, finally Robz puts ss into L-1

So I went back to look for this post, I was wrong. It was LaLight who said something to this effect, not silverspawn. LaLight also said a number of weird, panicky things about Eevee spreading votes, us getting to No Lynch etc, even though we have plenty of time left.

That really struck me as off. LaLight is a really good player who pays close attention. I've only seen him as town, though. Him being paranoid about a deadline that wasn't even looming yet... I read it as scummy because it's so not in keeping with what I've seen from, and I've only seen him as town. Perhaps he's not as good as scum and was trying (badly) to feign townish considerations.

I doubt there's any interest in a lynch here, but LaLight just shot up to the top of my suspicion list.
Robz making the same observations about LL than I have

Here is an interesting thing, 14 hours before the deadline Robz switches away from ss and votes J Reggie. I feel this is quite towny, wouldn't scum be happy to have the silver lynch go through and see us lose a very strong player? We can also probably say that if Robz is scum, J Reggie can't be, because that'd be just suicidal bussing for little reason, right? (J Reggie has just the one Robz vote)

Vote count at this point:
Vote Count 1.6

Eevee (1): Witherweaver
teamlyle (3): Calamitas, mcmcsalot, silverspawn
silverspawn (5): Eevee, SpaceAnemone, teamlyle, gkrieg13, LaLight
Calamitas (1): J Reggie
J Reggie (1): Robz888

Upon seeing this, pacovf votes ss, stating he thought he was already voting (which I guess he should actually have been).

ss comes in, frustrated, a little appealing to emotion-y. Reggie states intent to hammer unless ss claims.

SA, who is voting for ss, comes back and says they don't feel good about lynching ss. Again some calamitas setup arguments, and then SA asks again if there is anyone on to start a new wagon. Not sure how I feel about this, as I really don't see any reason in silver's posts to change one's mind about him. Hard to analyze if this is SA trying to score town credit or actually changing their mind, because they don't present their preferred alternative target.

SA goes back and notices the vote count is mistaken, J Reggie comes in and hammers ss to "solve the confusion". Afterwards (but before the flip of course) WW comes in seeming positive about the silver lynch, whereas mcmc says he hates it.

Not feeling scum on Eevee or pacovf. More on J Reggie and gkrieg. SA and teamlyle are probably town.
silver's final reads.

And that's that.

So, on the record not liking this lynch are mcmc, Calamitas (for setup reasons rather than reads I gathered, though) and SA was having second feelings despite being on the wagon. I didn't realize yesterday or when starting going back just now that this was such a consensus thing, kind of unfortunate actually. I obviously pushed for it pretty hard, but I thought it was not the weakest case for day 1 (obviously wrong though), and my townread on teamlyle made me more eager to push this as teamlyle seemed the other alternative.

I think Robz comes out the towniest, as if he was scum I really see no reason for him to try to derail this. WW's and mcmc's posts after the lynch have been through I think should be taken with a grain of salt, as there were no stakes left (for that day) anymore.

LaLight's jumping back and forth and making erratic statements about it seemed the most opportunistic to me, and Reggie hammering without giving silver a chance to claim was very anti-town (would he do that as scum?), but this seems like a tough wagon to analyze because so few people were against it, and because Calamitas's setup opinions kind of dominated the discussion, and sort of formed the opposite view to lynching silver. I was hoping I'd find more, but it is what it is.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 20, 2016, 11:07:50 am »

I think if anything, Calamitas as scum would be more likely to drop it at some point, whereas town with strong conviction would go on just like he did. Why do you think otherwise?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 20, 2016, 11:10:38 am »

I think if anything, Calamitas as scum would be more likely to drop it at some point, whereas town with strong conviction would go on just like he did. Why do you think otherwise?

Because he thinks he's correct.  At some point it's out of the scope of this game and just arguing.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 20, 2016, 11:17:37 am »

eh.

I panick about the deadlines like always actually. End of RMM35 D1 is the brightest example actually. Yeah, I got better till then, but still when there's really a lot of people, 17 hours don't seem very much time to me.

Again, I'm quite lost when there's too much players and I can't keep in mind everyone. Sorry for looking scummy, I don't want you to try to lynch me and lose another town member. Let's find actual scum.

Also, sorry for being quite inactive, IRL stuff is overwhelming me. I will try to.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 20, 2016, 11:45:19 am »

SA sheeps, no explanation.

I gave my reason in a response to silver three posts later, so it's hardly an unexplained vote!

Robz agrees with my post about the disadvantages of lynching teamlyle

I feel like significant parts of Eevee's big post here can be read as buddying Robz!

Then there was this:
We can also probably say that if Robz is scum, J Reggie can't be, because that'd be just suicidal bussing for little reason, right? (J Reggie has just the one Robz vote)
plus
SA asks again if there is anyone on to start a new wagon. Not sure how I feel about this, as I really don't see any reason in silver's posts to change one's mind about him.
[/quote]

So Robz gets a town-vote from you for moving his vote in the run-up to a deadline, but I get suspicion for even talking about moving my own vote?

And no, silver hadn't said anything in the interim, but I'd lapsed a bit behind in my detailed reading of the game, as evidenced by the fact that I didn't find the vote-count mistake till long after it had happened, when I actually got long enough to sit and read through things properly.

I feel from your post that you're kind of skewing your narrative to fit a pre-existing conclusion, which I think deserves some scumpoints.

LaLight's jumping back and forth and making erratic statements about it seemed the most opportunistic to me, and Reggie hammering without giving silver a chance to claim was very anti-town (would he do that as scum?), but this seems like a tough wagon to analyze because so few people were against it, and because Calamitas's setup opinions kind of dominated the discussion, and sort of formed the opposite view to lynching silver. I was hoping I'd find more, but it is what it is.

We may as well credit the people who weren't on the wagon at any significant point, and that was WW and mcmc, plus Calamitas who was just refusing to play with actual reads.

Looking at the eventual wagon, it's kind of interesting that the scum decided to kill an on-wagon person. I mean, for the five still-alive people left, if we were to assume there were two scum on-wagon (which is usually quite a safe assumption), then some of us have a 50-50 chance of picking a scum randomly from the four other still-alive people on that wagon. I'd originally used that to conclude that the scums probably had two people off-wagon and are sitting there laughing at us self-destructing as town, but then I decided it's probably all wifom.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 20, 2016, 11:51:34 am »

I think space is looking townlike.  Pacofv as well. 

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 20, 2016, 11:55:36 am »

Looking at the eventual wagon, it's kind of interesting that the scum decided to kill an on-wagon person. I mean, for the five still-alive people left, if we were to assume there were two scum on-wagon (which is usually quite a safe assumption), then some of us have a 50-50 chance of picking a scum randomly from the four other still-alive people on that wagon. I'd originally used that to conclude that the scums probably had two people off-wagon and are sitting there laughing at us self-destructing as town, but then I decided it's probably all wifom.

Yeah, this is always the first thing I do when a new day starts: go back and look at who was on and who was off. Unfortunately, as you eventually realize in this post, usually it doesn't come to much. There are only 4 living players off-wagon, and I'm one of them, so assuming 1-2 people off wagon, I have decent or perhaps even better odds than you do, of identifying scum, if we follow this logic. Two off wagon would mean two out of mcmc, WW, and Calamitas.

But in practice this never seems to work out.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 20, 2016, 11:56:35 am »

So why is it always the first thing you do?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: M90: Literature Mafia (Night 1)
« Reply #717 on: December 20, 2016, 11:56:42 am »

Eh, I really do not like the tendency of gkrieg never make it to even D2.

Totally gut feeling but I do not like this post. Think this more often comes from scum. And LL is already one of my top scum reads at this point, for reasons I specified yesterday.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 20, 2016, 11:57:16 am »

So why is it always the first thing you do?

Well, because it's easy. The idea of identifying scum this way is really appealing.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 20, 2016, 12:04:13 pm »

I feel like significant parts of Eevee's big post here can be read as buddying Robz!

Yes, I see that too. Giving me a mild scum read on Eevee, actually.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: December 20, 2016, 12:07:43 pm »

So Robz gets a town-vote from you for moving his vote in the run-up to a deadline, but I get suspicion for even talking about moving my own vote?

Well, but I think that makes objective sense. And no, it wasn't right before deadline. Look back, I was around and really trying to get something else going, and even moved my vote with a good amount of time left. If enough people had been around we could have gotten another lynch. I kinda gave up after hours of silence and no one being on.

You "talking" about not feeling good about the Siverspawn lynch at the point when it actually is too late, yeah, that's sort of scummy.

But point taken about Eevee, anyway. Although I suspect your motives.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 20, 2016, 12:10:09 pm »

Also, this is really neither here nor there at this point, but I feel like raising it anyway: Calamitas, we DIDN'T do what you wanted, and it worked out just as well. Maybe this might persuade you to spend a little less time convincing everyone you are right about setup/math/theories and more time scum!hunting? Because it really did start to derail the end of Day 1 there.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 20, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »

Vote Count 2.0[/color]
Not voting (10): LaLight, Calamitas, Witherweaver, Robz888, SpaceAnemone, J Reggie, teamlyle, Eevee, mcmcsalot, pacovf.

Just taking a look at who we are dealing with at this point, I'm struck by the fact--an unusual circumstance--that I have virtually no town reads. Everyone seems pretty scummy to me.

I think, contrary to how I felt earlier, J Reggie may be the closest thing to a town read. His play seemed scummy, but now it seems too random and wrong to make a good scum strategy.

I continue to kind of town!read mcmc, but that was based on very early Day 1 stuff and he hasn't said much since, which is a smart thing for him to do if he's actually town. (I do know he's sort of VLA right now, though.)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 20, 2016, 12:15:52 pm »

So that's where I'm at. Actually, Vote: Eevee, because SA is kind of right about the buddying.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 20, 2016, 12:19:50 pm »

I continue to kind of town!read mcmc, but that was based on very early Day 1 stuff and he hasn't said much since, which is a smart thing for him to do if he's actually town. (I do know he's sort of VLA right now, though.)

...wouldn't that be the smart thing to do as scum, too?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 63  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.