Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 63  All

Author Topic: M90: Literature Mafia (Scum wins!)  (Read 154800 times)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
Re: M90: Literature Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2016, 09:42:59 am »

Also what eevee said.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:27 am »

Did you get what you wanted out of responses to this question in the end?
Depends. I'd say no – the reasons provided were okay, I was more hoping for really bad ones to find scum that way. But I got what I asked for.
Hmm.

gkrieg or WW didn't answer you at all, LL did, and Robz gave a bonus comment even though he wasn't voting for me.

I actually appreciated the question, because I was interested myself, but now I kind of feel this scummy from silver, like he wasn't actually interested in the answers.. because he knows all the alignments already?

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2016, 09:46:22 am »

Calamitas is one of those people who hates D1 if I recall correctly. So not much surprise there. Also, I want to vote WW but I always think he's scum, even when I know he's town.

So I'll go back to vote: pacovf.
I don't hate it, I'm just awful at it.

With six games under your belt that's sort of a scummy defense. Only 4 town games so I'll let it slide but we really need your reactions in early days so we can get a genuine narrative from you later.
It's not scummy at all, it might be anti-town but is not scummy in the slightest.

Say you are so bad you just totally reveal yourself to be scum if you post more. In that scenario it's definitely scummy to hang back to avoid that.
I'm not bad in the game of mafia (actually I would say I'm quite good) but awful at getting reads D1 with nothing out of the ordinary happening. And it's not scummy (in the sense of scum-indicative not in any stereotypical sense) since I have played like that as either scum or town.
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:55 am »

Depends. I'd say no – the reasons provided were okay, I was more hoping for really bad ones to find scum that way. But I got what I asked for.
Hmm.

gkrieg or WW didn't answer you at all, LL did, and Robz gave a bonus comment even though he wasn't voting for me.

I actually appreciated the question, because I was interested myself, but now I kind of feel this scummy from silver, like he wasn't actually interested in the answers.. because he knows all the alignments already?

I was thinking this as well. Though I think this gives me a stronger town read on spaceanemone then a scum read on silver.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2016, 09:49:58 am »

I need help, does calamitas normally respond strongly to suspicion as town? We typically consider overreacting scummy but I think it's not out of the ordinary I know I used to really badly and it got me mislynched a couple times in a row.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2016, 09:51:11 am »

I'm sort of town-reading Calamitas's relative indifference to the day. We were scum together in Mafia 88, and he was much more active there, even on Day 1. I actually think he might be a lot like me, contributes more easily as scum but kinda has slightly less interest as town.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:04 am »

@Calamitas's latest, too many quotes:

I didn't mean to imply you are very bad, in fact I quite like your bayesian approach. :)

But the fact remains, even though day 1's often suck, there needs to be posting, or we'd just lynch someone at random (say the guy with the smallest post count..)

I too hate trying to draw conclusions from incomplete information, and having to appear more convinced than you actually are, but it's a part of the game. Sometimes, by sheer luck or good scumhunting, we actually do end up building a day 1 wagon on someone who later flips scum. The early interactions can be very illuminating in those cases, but they don't exist if you just don't post at all until there is something more substantial.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:32 am »

Hmm.

I was thinking this as well. Though I think this gives me a stronger town read on spaceanemone then a scum read on silver.
How so? I don't follow.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2016, 09:56:46 am »

I need help, does calamitas normally respond strongly to suspicion as town? We typically consider overreacting scummy but I think it's not out of the ordinary I know I used to really badly and it got me mislynched a couple times in a row.
My personal favorite town-mcmc reaction to suspicion was posting your phone number on the forums so someone could alert you if the wagon would grow, so you could convince us not to lynch you before it's too late.  :D

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2016, 10:03:43 am »

I didn't mean to imply you are very bad, in fact I quite like your bayesian approach. :)

But the fact remains, even though day 1's often suck, there needs to be posting, or we'd just lynch someone at random (say the guy with the smallest post count..)

I too hate trying to draw conclusions from incomplete information, and having to appear more convinced than you actually are, but it's a part of the game. Sometimes, by sheer luck or good scumhunting, we actually do end up building a day 1 wagon on someone who later flips scum. The early interactions can be very illuminating in those cases, but they don't exist if you just don't post at all until there is something more substantial.
But I cannot contribute any reads if I don't have any. I analyze posts by asking myself the question "Is this post more likely to come from scum!X or from town!X". The answer to this question is usually "no, but the invert doesn't apply as well" or just "cannot tell, know to little about X to evaluate that". Therefore I usually contribute in regard to specific issues or things like setup analysis D1. I just don't have anything more to offer.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2016, 10:11:50 am »

But I cannot contribute any reads if I don't have any. I analyze posts by asking myself the question "Is this post more likely to come from scum!X or from town!X". The answer to this question is usually "no, but the invert doesn't apply as well" or just "cannot tell, know to little about X to evaluate that". Therefore I usually contribute in regard to specific issues or things like setup analysis D1. I just don't have anything more to offer.

You could always just recklessly vote people.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2016, 10:16:58 am »

You could always just recklessly vote people.
I could but I wouldn't consider that good play :D

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2016, 10:17:44 am »

but it is fun! vote: calamitas

see??

back to vote: J Reggie

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2016, 10:54:18 am »

Hmm.

what?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2016, 10:57:39 am »

Hmm.

what?
I would say you didn't get what you asked for - of the three people you addressed your question to, only LL answered you at all.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #340 on: December 15, 2016, 11:00:48 am »

see??

Do you actually think I'm scum?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2016, 11:13:15 am »

Hmm.

what?
I would say you didn't get what you asked for - of the three people you addressed your question to, only LL answered you at all.
Ah. Fair enough. I was admittedly lazy and didn't check who didn't answer, I just didn't dislike the answer(s) I got.

see??

Do you actually think I'm scum?
No, but that's a silly question, because thinking you're scum implies > 50% odds which would be an ultra strong read for day 1. I think your self-vote after WW's move was scummy.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2016, 11:14:30 am »

but you're right, vote: gkrieg

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2016, 11:15:28 am »

hm, no I changed my mind. Back to vote: J Reggie

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2016, 11:17:58 am »

Silver, why do you think that self-vote was scum-indicative? He has tried insane stuff as town before (fake scumslip in rmm35).

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2016, 11:24:29 am »

Uh, I did give a reason.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2016, 11:25:25 am »

true...

I was mostly putting myself in his situation. If I said "I'll sheep the next person who votes!" and then someone votes for me, if I am town, I don't think I'll sheep him. if I'm scum, on the other hand, I might feel pressured not to appear cowardly.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2016, 11:25:45 am »

Uh, I did give a reason.
yeah, I know, gut. Which isn't too bad, hence why I only voted for you for 3 seconds.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2016, 11:32:09 am »

true...

I was mostly putting myself in his situation. If I said "I'll sheep the next person who votes!" and then someone votes for me, if I am town, I don't think I'll sheep him. if I'm scum, on the other hand, I might feel pressured not to appear cowardly.
But generally saying "I will sheep the next person that votes" isn't that sensible and rather RVS like in the first place. Following through isn't indicative I would say.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2016, 11:41:23 am »

Sorry people, winter finally caught up to me and gave me a nasty cold. I am feeling better today, I will take some time to reread and see if I want to move my vote.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 63  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.