Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New (and old) games at BGG.CON  (Read 1303 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
New (and old) games at BGG.CON
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »
+3

Played so many games! Brief reviews/descriptions:

Love Letter - Started out  with this while waiting at 5:30 am in the line, waiting for them to open.

No Thanks! - Great short filler, also while waiting in line.

Sushi Go - My first new game, last of the waiting in line games. Fun and simple drafting game. I wouldn't want to play it all the time, but I liked it.

Dominion: Empires - You guys might have heard of this one. It's the latest expansion to this deckbuilder called "Dominion". Anyway, 4 player game; played the first recommended Empires-only set. I won with some mish-mash engine of Patrician/Emporium, Forum, and a bit of Sacrifice. I should have had more Villa, because I had too much money and no +buy.

Code Names Pictures - Just what you think it would be. Can't say if it's better or worse than the original. Just a different take on the same thing.

Crokinole - Flicking/dexterity game. Always play a bit when I go. Want to get a board some day.

Fuse - Great stuff, though the novelty has worn off a bit compared to when it was new.

Machi Koro: Bright Lights Big City - I didn't know there was a new version of Machi Koro. Not until we started to set up and I realized that most of the cards were different. I'm not a fan of rotating supply in general; Dominion is so great partly because everyone has equal access to the cards. But this definitely had a bit more depth and strategy than the original Machi Koro. Only problem is that it's a bit longer; and that's the type of game that I want to be short.

Jungle Speed - Already knew this one; a fun neat reflexes /dexterity game.

Castles of Burgundy - Taught this one; always good.

Deep Sea Adventure - Really fun silly/short game. Want to get.

Temporum - Taught it twice.

Snitch - An unpublished game that I played with the guy who created it. Neat real-time deduction/memory game.

T.I.M.E. Stories - Best new game I played! So very good. A controversial game it turns out, as a lot of people HATE it. But I absolutely loved it. Like a legacy game, you can't really play it more than once... but unlike a legacy game, you REALLY can't play it more than once. At least not the base set. There's other expansions, which are additional stories to play though. It's basically like an escape-the-room puzzle, but with actual board-game play elements. It does what Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective does, except so much better. I really, really liked it. I actually did play the base set a second time, so that I could introduce it to my friends... who hated it.

Strike - A super-light short game where you throw dice at other dice.

Tzolk'in - Learned this and played it twice. Great game; now on my wish list.

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk expansion - Everything Betrayal is, and more. Except it turns out that the rules STILL haven't managed to clarify questions that come up in the scenarios. At least not for the scenario we got. I was the traitor; it appeared I was going to win within 1-2 turns of the haunt beginning, but ended up losing through a long series of bad luck.

Jolly Roger - Ugh, I actually had some fun while playing this, but I wouldn't play it again... it's basically Munchkin.

Star Trek Panic - This was great! I haven't played Castle Panic (or Munchkin Panic obviously). But this is a neat game; on my wishlist. Only problem is that it takes a little too long for what it is; and the missions aren't all that varied. An expansion would actually be nice.

Terra Mystica (with Fire & Ice expansion) - Hadn't played this in a long time; even longer since I used the new races. I won with the Yetis. I think we played all the latest expansion errata correctly.

Hanabi - Played a bunch of rounds with this with 3 other people who are super good at Hanabi. I'm just ok at it. It's scary how these guys were on a different level... playing cards correctly where I never would have figured out how they knew it was a safe play, etc.

Caverna - Second time playing this; really good. Better than Agricola I think. Just so very expensive.

Fuji Flush - Fun light quick card game. A bit like Linko, except Linko had a bit more strategy.

Amis Cube - A build-the-structure style puzzle game. Good, but not great.

Saturn - I play this every year; a great balance/dexterity game. Super rare; can't find it for under $200 used.

Pix - The only type of Pictionary I'll play.

Dr. Eureka - A bit like Dimension if you know that one... a make your thing look like the other thing puzzle; but with a bit of dexterity too.

When I dream - This was interesting. A cool party game with a neat concept. One play with his eyes closed is trying to guess what's on a card; other players are giving him one-word hints one at a time, but certain players are trying to get him to guess wrong. So Code Names with Cylons.

The Golden Sails - A Russian game that's not published in America. Interesting 7 Wonders-like drafting stuff. Wasn't a huge fan.

One Night - Always good. Less good when there's 1 drunk guy who just claims to be the werewolf at the start of each discussion.

Kingdomino - A neat city-builder type thing; way simpler than Between Two Cities; but for a 15 minute game it's great.

Kana Gawa - Kind of like Coloretto if you know that one. Really nice production design.

Potion Explosion - Basically Candy Crush, the board game. Somewhat neat, but too gimmicky.

Innovation - First time playing anything but 2 player. It's quite different with 4 players. I got Mathematics early, and though that meant I was going to do great... but yeah that just doesn't work in 4 player.

Coloretto - Second time playing this one. Neat short game, a bit like No Thanks! but more involved.

So there you go, that's what I've been doing the last 5 days. Today is the worst day of the year, as it is the longest I have to go until BGG.CON starts again.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: New (and old) games at BGG.CON
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:16:47 pm »
+1

I'm looking at that list of games and "5 days" and I'm trying to determine when you could possibly have slept!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:08:34 pm »

I'm looking at that list of games and "5 days" and I'm trying to determine when you could possibly have slept!

Well not on Saturday night. Literally, I didn't sleep Saturday night. Although I actually played very little then; not enough other all-nighters. About 6 hours sleep each other night. But we didn't do anything other than games and sleep. Probably half of the games in the list were short fillers.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »
+1

Just wanted to weigh in on T.I.M.E Stories, as it's the board game I'm currently enjoying the most playing. I have yet to meet someone who didn't like it. But I have only played it with my wife, and a couple of friends who I know like kind of the same stuff as I do. Which includes old point and click games. I've also put together a group of players that I thought would enjoy it.

Basically, since the game is a mix of a point and click adventure, some trial and error, some RPG elements and a board game with gameplay that is actually kind of meh. You just have to find people who can overlook the fact that rolling dice for random encounters with more dice is a large part of the gameplay, and see the puzzles and stories. I've played all scenarios except for the very latest one (that's only available in French, currently) and enjoyed them all. Some of them involve more dice and less puzzle and vice versa. But even the ones with very little actual puzzles have been super fun experiences well worth the money. For me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.