Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2P Tournament, Cincinnati OH. Feb. 11 2017, 1PM  (Read 5271 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
2P Tournament, Cincinnati OH. Feb. 11 2017, 1PM
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:22:28 am »
+2

I'll be hosting another tournament in Cincinnati, here are the details:

FACEBOOK EVENT (will be kept up to date, unlike this thread)
Saturday, February 11, 1PM
Game Swap in Mason : 1065 Reading Rd. / Mason, OH 45040
Two-player games, $5 entry fee
Tournament Format
All expansions and promo cards may be used, I won't be using any of the removed cards from Base or Intrigue, though.

I anticipate we'll be done by 6PM, and if you are eliminated early on in the tournament you could be done earlier -- everyone who enters is guaranteed at least four games in the tournament.

After the tournament, there will be regular board game night there. You're welcome to stay and play as late as you'd like if you want to.

I'm going to host these tournaments every six months now instead of every three, in case that influences your decision to travel here for the tournament.

-----------

Here is the stuff that will be different (special) about this tournament

I'm planning to have door prizes for everyone who enters the tournament. I'm still working on these so I don't know exactly what it will be, but I'm thinking of a custom token or ribbon or card or something along those lines. If nothing like this works, I will have Dominion-themed cookies.

I'm going to make some kind of "trophy" (it may not exactly be a "trophy" but it will be similar in concept. I'm still working on it). The winner of the tournament will have the chance to challenge me to a game of Dominion -- they may choose whatever kingdom they would like and they may go first, and if they win a game of Dominion against me with that kingdom, they get the trophy. If they lose or tie, they still get the standard first prize in the tournament.

-----------

If you have any questions or if you want to let me know that you're coming, send me an E-mail at adam@adamhorton.com and I'll get back to you. You don't have to let me know in advance that you plan to be there, but it helps me out a lot for preparing for the tournament.

I hope to see you all there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:39:10 am by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: 2P Tournament, 1/21/2017, 1PM, Cincinnati OH
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:55:22 pm »
+1

Yay! Adam's "back!"

I'm probably going to this, like 90-93% sure I'm going.

Door prizes sound pretty cool, even though they don't impact whether or not I'd go my mom was really excited at the prospect of winning something.

The trophy thing sounds intense but also intriguing. It's a great chance to make a troll kingdom and have a blast. I don't know what you're really thinking, but a life sized cardboard cutout of Scout would be something to consider.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:08:15 pm »

I will do my best to try and make it. I'd love to come by for another event though; I've had a good time at all your tournaments so far.  8)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:03:46 pm »
+2

I'm going to make some kind of "trophy" (it may not exactly be a "trophy" but it will be similar in concept. I'm still working on it, PM if you have ideas for this). The winner of the tournament will have the chance to challenge me to a game of Dominion -- they may choose whatever kingdom they would like and they may go first, and if they win a game of Dominion against me with that kingdom, they get the trophy. If they lose or tie, they still get the standard first prize in the tournament.

For maximum trolling, I suggest Smithy, 8 villages, and Black Market with a 2 card Black Market deck: Tournament and Dame Anna.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:05:02 pm by JW »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:11:14 pm »

I'm going to make some kind of "trophy" (it may not exactly be a "trophy" but it will be similar in concept. I'm still working on it, PM if you have ideas for this). The winner of the tournament will have the chance to challenge me to a game of Dominion -- they may choose whatever kingdom they would like and they may go first, and if they win a game of Dominion against me with that kingdom, they get the trophy. If they lose or tie, they still get the standard first prize in the tournament.

For maximum trolling, I suggest Smithy, 8 villages, and Black Market with a 2 card Black Market deck: Tournament and Dame Anna.

For maximal chance of victory (since the challenger gets to go first), I'd go with Ferry, Travelling Fair, Squire, Gardens, 8 villages. Hope for a 3-4 split so you can gain all the Squires on turn 3! I started a thread in the Puzzles forum where we can brainstorm improvements. 

IRL game with Gardens, Squire, Travelling Fair & Ferry. Gain all the Squires by turn 3 and you feel like Celestial Chameleon.
(perhaps the most favourable board for P1 I've ever seen).
There is also the win in one turn one.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:02 pm »
+1

Leave it to F.DS to take all of the fun out of something that was only supposed to be fun in the first place.

The intent was for people to troll me with Tournament and Black Market and have a little fun with it and I really don't want to rules-lawyer this so it can't be abused. Maybe I'll have to...

In other news, there's a good chance I'm moving this tournament EDIT: date is uncertain.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:02:16 am by AdamH »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 05:41:08 pm »
+2

Brainstorming kingdoms with a large P1 advantage is indeed fun, I was hoping that if someone wanted to take that route, maybe the problem wouldn't already be solved and optimized for them by the time they got there. It sort of takes the creativity out of it.

Like, I'd be totally fine if someone won the tournament and blew me out of the water with the original rules I had set up IF they had come up with the idea and execution themselves -- the whole thing is designed to be "unfair" to me and if they choose to, they can come up with whatever creative way they like to abuse that and get a life sized cardboard cutout of Scout trophy for their efforts. I feel like the fun that can be had here is in the discovery. Or maybe in trolling me and watching me squirm, or maybe in just playing a game of Dominion with me with high stakes and cards they like.

From my perspective, I wanted people coming to my tournament to have this fun, because that's the whole point of the tournament, and that fun is decreased now by the fact that anyone can just look on the internet for the solution. I realize I can't stop people from talking about this here, but for some stupid reason I thought this community would have the restraint to maybe wait to talk about until after the tournament was over? That way everyone could have fun!

So it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

I don't want to change the rules, I don't think this fix is simple and I have no reason to believe it actually fixes things the way I want it to. I was hoping to just see what people would come up with and not have to police it and I'm going to keep doing that. I'll just simply state that optimizing P1 advantage is not the only way someone can have fun with this challenge.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:57:13 pm »
+8

I'm not sure I like how much malicious intent you're assuming.

Not everybody is close enough to Ohio to go in person, and designing an unfair kingdom is an interesting challenge. So for people who can't make it, brainstorming kingdoms is a way to have fun. It feels like you're assuming people thought, "You know, maybe posting about this would be bad for people going to the actual tournament, but screw them I'll post it anyways". It's much more likely that people noticed the interesting problem, tried to start discussion about it, and didn't realize there might be unintended consequences.

You could have said, "Hey, I'd rather people not discuss solutions here, because the fun's in the discovery and I want tournament goers to get the enjoyment of solving it by themselves". People would have respected that, because people generally aren't assholes.

And in fact, that's basically what you're saying...if you remove all the parts where you're assuming malicious intent.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 10:08:57 pm »
+1

I'm not sure I like how much malicious intent you're assuming.

And in fact, that's basically what you're saying...if you remove all the parts where you're assuming malicious intent.

First of all, some posts have been removed from this thread by the people who wrote them, as I've just noticed. You're not seeing the entire conversation.

Second of all, I know exactly what I'm assuming, nobody else knows what's going on inside my head. I have written exactly what I think and why and there is no subtext in any of it. Please don't put words in my mouth (or assumptions in my brain in this case). You even say that aside from this we completely agree.

I would really like for the discussion here to just be about this tournament. If that can't happen I guess I'm just not going to advertise my tournaments here anymore. It's F.DS's loss, really.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 10:19:30 pm »
+2

Calm down Adam.
All people are flawed (including me). You probably should just live with these flaws rather than isolate your self but that is your choice.
I hope i haven't offended anyone.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 10:47:21 am »
+10

I would really like for the discussion here to just be about this tournament. If that can't happen I guess I'm just not going to advertise my tournaments here anymore. It's F.DS's loss, really.
Maybe if you want it to be about the tournament, you should have chosen not to make it about yourself.  If you post "we're going to have a fun P1-favored match", and then people start brainstorming what P1-favored kingdoms would be, and then you get mad for some reason even though that is the totally obvious outcome and you never even suggested that people shouldn't be talking about it, and then out of respect for you they actually delete their posts ... maybe just let it go?

This is not the first time this has happened to you Adam, as you are well aware.  I assure you that the issue is not on our end but on yours.  Exactly the same thing would have happened if you posted it on Reddit, except instead of trying to reason with you nicely, as we are, people would ridicule and downvote you instead.  If it smells like crap everywhere you step, you should check your shoes.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 11:10:05 am »
+2

It's F.DS's loss, really.
in the literal sense, yes
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 11:15:22 am »
+2

Maybe if you want it to be about the tournament, you should have chosen not to make it about yourself.  If you post "we're going to have a fun P1-favored match", and then people start brainstorming what P1-favored kingdoms would be, and then you get mad for some reason even though that is the totally obvious outcome and you never even suggested that people shouldn't be talking about it, and then out of respect for you they actually delete their posts ... maybe just let it go?

This is not the first time this has happened to you Adam, as you are well aware.  I assure you that the issue is not on our end but on yours.  Exactly the same thing would have happened if you posted it on Reddit, except instead of trying to reason with you nicely, as we are, people would ridicule and downvote you instead.  If it smells like crap everywhere you step, you should check your shoes.

I agree with a lot of things in this post, but it seems needlessly inflammatory. Especially from an admin, who should seek to resolve conflicts, not create them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:17:55 am by singletee »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 11:17:02 am »
+1

Maybe if you want it to be about the tournament, you should have chosen not to make it about yourself.  If you post "we're going to have a fun P1-favored match", and then people start brainstorming what P1-favored kingdoms would be, and then you get mad for some reason even though that is the totally obvious outcome and you never even suggested that people shouldn't be talking about it,

What I posted is that there would be a fun match at the end of it. I specified all of the criteria for it, and F.DS latched onto 1P advantage part and tried to break it. I'll admit this seems like a logical outcome, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and it doesn't mean I won't ask them to take it somewhere slightly less visible until my tournament is over.

Then when there was some confusion (which has been removed) about why I didn't like it, I explained exactly why I didn't like it...

and then out of respect for you they actually delete their posts ... maybe just let it go?

I did that, and I was not the one to bring it back up. Don't pin that on me, Titandrake is the one who came in and made it about me and my supposed "assuming malicious intent" that I never actually did. Everything I've written in this thread is still there, the only parts of my posts that I've edited were the date of the tournament because I think you're going to ban me and I don't want this to be here and be wrong and have no way to change it.

Just read it. I'm not hiding anything, and what you're accusing me of is not something I did.

You don't what would have happened on reddit, but I've had nothing but respectful conversations anywhere else on the internet that I've gone to talk about Dominion. It only smells like crap here at F.DS which is a lot of the reason why I left.

Does that mean F.DS is the problem? No, but it doesn't mean I'm the problem either. It just means this community isn't a good fit for me, so I left. Great. Problem solved.

I made the mistake of thinking I could be the one to actually make the post advertising my tournament here. Believe me I will not make that mistake again. I just now edited my posts to reflect that I won't be following this thread anymore and I won't be.

But don't go around saying how I'm the only problem here, that's just not true. I am, however, going go solve all of the problems by just not advertising my tournaments here anymore. It's too bad that your forum about Dominion has gotten so far away from caring about the game that I can't even do that anymore when every other place I advertise my tournaments has no problems with me whatsoever.

Do what you want with this thread: lock, delete, I don't care. I'm not going to update it though once I have a finalized date. My contact info is still there in case there are any questions.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: 2P Tournament, Cincinnati OH
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 11:51:42 am »
+8

I agree with a lot of things in this post, but it seems needlessly inflammatory. Especially from an admin, who should seek to resolve conflicts, not create them.
This is probably correct.  I'd only add, though, that this is not the first, second, or even tenth time I've tried to have this discussion with Adam, over people posting things that he "didn't want" posted, or people he was convinced was out to get him.

So you could understand why my patience is a bit thin.  It's one thing if it's an Adam-[user] problem, but to me it's more of an Adam-[forum] problem.  Which is why I take a more active role, as opposed to just trying to let Adam figure it out with whichever person he thinks is out to get him this week.  And his spiteful ragging on the community doesn't really help and gets tiresome the umpteenth time you hear it.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: 2P Tournament, Cincinnati OH
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 08:16:31 am »
+2

Maybe that's just me, but I feel that a tournament announcement with entry fee should go under advertisements.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.