Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How Could I have Won this Game?  (Read 1657 times)

dmazzucco

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
How Could I have Won this Game?
« on: November 11, 2016, 11:20:32 am »
+4

This is my first post of a game report. I'm looking for tips on this game:

Code: [Select]
Summon, Courtyard, Lookout, Bureaucrat, Salvager, Spice Merchant, Trader, Market, Minion, Outpost, Hireling
Note that I couldn't make the "Summon" show up above, but it wasn't used in the game so maybe it doesn't matter.

Game report here:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20161110/log.0.1478741595128.txt

After some Spice Merchant work to thin our decks, it evolved into a Minion Engine +Outpost game. I (Squirezucco) was winning 3 provinces to one, mainly (I think) because I went for an outpost while my opponent went for Markets. At the end of what turned out to be my last turn, I Salvaged a Province into a Province. The thinking was that my engine was weakening, and "Chris is me" might get double province next turn, but I could still beat them even if I can't province anymore by salvaging provinces for provinces and getting a duchy.

As it turned out, CIM was able to pull a triple province, and eek out a win.

The small question is, "Should I have Salvaged the Province on my second-to-last turn?" The bigger question is, "How should I have been thinking through that last turn to maximize my chances of winning?"

Expert advice on that or any part of the game is welcome.

Squirezucco
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:09:54 pm by dmazzucco »

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: How Could I have Won this Game?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 01:58:58 pm »

I don't really know what you should have done, but I can say that your logic wasn't sound.  If you salvage a Province -> Province, there's no way Chris is me will double province and invite the simple Salvage Province and buy estate loss.

I think at the end of the last turn, instead Salvage Minion getting you to $9 and buy a province.

dmazzucco

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:38:06 pm »

Agreed that CIM *wouldn't* double province if it would leave one province. I was saying that my thinking had been that they *could* double province, and thus I could prevent that by Salvaging the province. Clearly I wasn't prepared for the triple province play.

I do like the idea of salvaging a minion and getting a 4th province. Even though leaving myself with only four minions would have made it likely that I wouldn't get to 8 again without Salvaging, I would have had a lead that would be tough to surmount, especially if I could trash and replace a province every turn.

Thanks for the thoughts.

smcrtorchs

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:36:33 am »

I would have gotten an early salvager instead of a lookout and open silver spice merchant to buy minions earlier here. Salvager helps to hit 5 as well while lookout does not. The question of how many silvers is a good one, but because also of spice merchant 2 seems optimal. You will hit 5 even without the third. An earlier outpost would look nice, at the point where you are sure to hit 5 on your main turn even with outpost in your deck and maybe hit it with a 3 cards hand. I think this is the point where you have 3 minions in your deck. Regarding the province trashed, i think it would have been better to not trash the minion at all and just buy a duchy. You should have expected 3ple province from your opponent at this point. Regarding how to think about your last turns, keep in mind that outpost perplexes the endgame.

Eventually this becomes a question of how often I expect to miss buying province if I do not build further vs how often I expect to reach double province, or will i reach double province when I need it? Building further for a total of 3 turns to reach double province by buying a market, then 2 markets, then another 2 or 1 and a small bonus seems a bit slow to me, but could be best here, if the path to green on your outpost turn was not successful often enough.

Going for a double province turn with the outpost (buy 1 province at a normal turn and 1 at an outpost turn)  seems best, even if it does not always work. The way I can see it is by playing 3 minions on your outpost turn for coins, 2 to discard and draw and hopefully you use your silver or your salvager on something, as you have enough salvager food after turn 10. So assuming you reach turn 11 with your deck, I would buy an outpost turn 11 and turn 12 and beyond province and a salvager at the first turn I miss province.

Edit: Looking at it again, it seems like trashing the minion and buying province is best instead of buying a duchy as I proposed. Reaching 13 to buy province duchy next turn for CIM is not as likely as I thought and so it is difficult for him to get 2 provinces 2 duchies and an estate for the win.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 04:42:15 am by smcrtorchs »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.