Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bribe - a new Embargo variant  (Read 2927 times)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Bribe - a new Embargo variant
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:25:23 am »

Bribe
Cost: <4>
Types: Treasure/Curse

$2
When you play this, put this on top of a non-empty Supply pile.
--
-1 VP

This card is an interesting variant of Embargo with a unique type combination. We tested it in three rounds and think this is a very original card. What do you think about it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:20:13 am by King Leon »

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
Re: Bribe - a new Embargo variant
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:25 am »

Bribe

$2
When you play this, put this on top of a Supply pile.
--
-1 VP

This card is an interesting variant of Embargo with a unique type combination. We tested it in three rounds and think this is a very original card. What do you think about it?
Am I missing something? How is this not worst than silver? Or is this a non supply card that you take instead of curses when you buy a card from a supply pile with a embargo token on it?

Thanks for the correction. It's weird that curse is the name of a type and card, and I don't really like this card since it slows down the game tremendously. For example if you place one of these on the province supply pile in a kingdom that has no way to get extra buys no one will buy Bribe since it will let the other players buy provinces on their turn.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:48:11 pm by loneXolf »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:03:08 am »

Bribe

$2
When you play this, put this on top of a Supply pile.
--
-1 VP

What happens when I put this on top of a Supply?

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 08:08:37 am »

Am I missing something? How is this not worst than silver? Or is this a non supply card that you take instead of curses when you buy a card from a supply pile with a embargo token on it.

This card is a regular Kingdom card, which effectively blocks a Supply pile with a cursed one shot Silver. Because its name is not Curse, you can't gain it with Witch et al., but it works with Vagrant and Patrol.

What happens when I put this on top of a Supply?

It's the top card of that Supply pile then. So you first have to buy Bribe, before you can buy another card from this pile.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:14:54 am by King Leon »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:40:38 am »

So, I play this to put this on Curse pile, and my opponent says "Hey, let me play Witch to give you many Curses!", right?

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 12:13:19 pm »
+1

In my opnion this is less interesting than Kru5h's Rabbits which keeps the junk around.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 03:21:07 pm »

In my opnion this is less interesting than Kru5h's Rabbits which keeps the junk around.
So, I did not read that thread. Yes, this is the same idea, very interesting. Rabbits seems to be very interesting. I also like, how they give you the +Buy back and their "population growth" effect. But they are also nonterminals, which makes Rabbits a very annoying card. I like both cards now.

So, I play this to put this on Curse pile, and my opponent says "Hey, let me play Witch to give you many Curses!", right?
I don't understand, what you mean? With a 5/2 setup you could open Witch/Bribe, put this on the Witch pile in turn 3 and prevent that your opponent can buy a Witch.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 07:11:26 pm »
+1

So, I did not read that thread. Yes, this is the same idea, very interesting. Rabbits seems to be very interesting. I also like, how they give you the +Buy back and their "population growth" effect. But they are also nonterminals, which makes Rabbits a very annoying card. I like both cards now.

I don't understand, what you mean? With a 5/2 setup you could open Witch/Bribe, put this on the Witch pile in turn 3 and prevent that your opponent can buy a Witch.
When this covers Curse pile, Witch fails to give other players Curses, because "Curse" is not in Supply. So Witch is a 5-cost weak Moat, I think. I'll buy other strong 5-cost cards until you buy Bribe from a pile full of Curses.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 04:00:54 pm »

When this covers Curse pile, Witch fails to give other players Curses, because "Curse" is not in Supply. So Witch is a 5-cost weak Moat, I think. I'll buy other strong 5-cost cards until you buy Bribe from a pile full of Curses.
Good point. I did not think about that.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 04:52:35 pm »
+1

"Put this on top of a non-empty Action or Treasure supply pile"?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 06:27:22 pm »

There are a few things I don't like about this version of the card:

1) It doesn't provide +buy, so if it's a game with no +buy, it can drastically slow the game down.

2) You can stack multiple copies on a pile. The game could take an incredibly long time if you put four of these on the Province pile and four of them on the Duchy pile. They could accumulate back faster than people could buy them in some cases.

3) It can lock people out of the game. In a Thief/Pirate Ship game with no virtual money, you could put this on Copper and Silver. Now if you run low on money, you can't do anything until you get a turn with at least . This also applies to super-slogs. For example, a 3-player game where one opponent goes Witch and another goes Cultist. Copper and Silver are blocked and you're struggling to get up to $4 to be able to buy more money because your deck has so many Curses and Ruins.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.