Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Expected consistency or surprising consistency?  (Read 1576 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Expected consistency or surprising consistency?
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:15 pm »
+1

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20161106/log.0.1478392574475.txt

1. I'm not sure how I fell behind. The only thing I can point to is my Crossroads buy and Doctor buy, but the Doctor buy was later - was CR buy really that bad?
2. Starting turn 15, my opponent hits Province every single turn, despite occasional Knight attacks. Is that expected given their deck?
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Expected consistency or surprising consistency?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 10:18:41 pm »
+1

There is actually a lot that you could do differently here but your draws are poor as well. FV+feast looks like a better opening than FV+silver. You are going to upgrade estates into fishing villages so there's no need to buy the crossroads (until nobles are coming). On turn 7 you should surely upgrade the crossroads and spend 5 coins. Since your first upgrade missed the shuffle it is tempting to buy a second before buying a knight. The doctor is not needed and you need to contest the villages and 5 costs (with feast).

Chancellor+FV is a possible opening too. Money decks can survive knight attacks quite well and you never had enough of an engine to compete.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:18:21 am »
+1

There is actually a lot that you could do differently here but your draws are poor as well. FV+feast looks like a better opening than FV+silver. You are going to upgrade estates into fishing villages so there's no need to buy the crossroads (until nobles are coming). On turn 7 you should surely upgrade the crossroads and spend 5 coins. Since your first upgrade missed the shuffle it is tempting to buy a second before buying a knight. The doctor is not needed and you need to contest the villages and 5 costs (with feast).

Chancellor+FV is a possible opening too. Money decks can survive knight attacks quite well and you never had enough of an engine to compete.

On turn 7 I only have 3 Copper and there's no duration, so I get at most $4, even with a Crossroads upgrade. I think I agree on FV+Feast. Also agree that Doctor was probably too much. With FV and Nobles I was expecting to have enough actions to detour for a few Silver to try to hit $5 more often, but that didn't work out.

I'm mostly confused on the eerie Province gain consistency. It felt like the deck should have stalled on Provinces at least once.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 03:25:12 am »
+2

Just my quick take on the game:

I think your second shuffle was pretty harsh, crossroads isnīt terrible, but getting to 3 or 4 here for FV or Feast would be quite important, this combined with a very slight favor to the feast opening, gave an slight edge to your oponent in the early game...

This advantage, though, wasnīt really significant until the doctor buy, I really really donīt like doctor here. I donīt feel like you needed it and itīs just to much of an unreliable trasher for this point in the game. That while being a stop card that didnīt improve your economy. Reading the log it feels like the turning in the game, from that point on the distances between your decks justs keeps growing.

I would say he definetely got a bit lucky in the end, he definetely doesnīt have a deck to get 7 provinces in a row without stalling even once, that being said, I do feel like he has a good deck, and if that was something like 6 provinces in like 8 turns I wouldnīt really be surprised.

My avaliation of this game is that you had some bad draws, and made one big mistake, and while your opponent did get pretty lucky in the end, it was only after the game was pretty close to being decided.

A few other things:

-While I did dislike the doctor, I donīt know how I feel about getting a second upgrade here, I know I would certainly be tempted to get it
-I looked up your opponent on isotropish and he has a rather very bad rating, that being said however, I feel like he made a very clean game, he played quite well and didnīt make any obvious mistakes. His rating certainly is not reflected on this game.
-And lastly... This is only my humble two cents... Youīre a much better player than I am so take everything I say with a grain of salt... ^^
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:27:38 am by gloures »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.