Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Strive & Reward  (Read 16300 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Strive & Reward
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 05:19:24 pm »

Do you have Tabletop Simulator?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

DBnator

• Swindler
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 06:29:39 pm »

Wayfarer:  It's a nice idea, but +action cards that don't give +1 card are generally fighting uphill from the getgo because it can be so challenging to get 2 terminals into the same hand reliably.  Since these require eachother to be drawn together before they even become empty Universities, they are taxing a requirement that was already an issue.
Maybe the idea here is to use Market and Woodcutters, but they don't compose that much of the cardpool.
It's still a neat card though.  Why don't you just give it +card and price it at 4$?  It wouldn't be an Ironmonger at all.

A big strength of this card is that you can even play it when drawing into it with a terminal action.
The above-the-line part could indeed use some improvement, but I'm not sure yet what exactly works best.

Offertory: The comparison to Ironworks here is troubling.  One of Ironworks's options is +1$, gain a silver.  This +1 Card, +1 Action, -2$, gain a silver.  That's net 0 vanilla bonuses instead of net 1.  And Ironworks is free to do other things, whereas this can't do anything else (in kingdoms without an extra treasure, 95+% of them).  Of course it's not always bad for a 3$ card to be worse than a 4$ card.  But they should be pretty close, and this is a gulf.  Workshop doesn't even make this card look great.

What do think about this rework?:

Offertory (3):
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard a Treasure card or an Action card. Gain a Treasure card costing at most the same.

Reclamation: I suspect this doesn't do what you want it to.  When a card tells you to do something to N objects, and you have M objects, 0<M<N, you do that thing to those M options to do as much as you can.  We see this with 1 card hands getting Torturured in Dominion and see it in other cases in other games.  So when you are instructed to pick 3 treasures from the trash, it's pretty likely there are only 1 or 2, and you'll still pick them.  You'd need a wording like "pick a set of 3 treasures from the trash" or need to throw the word "exactly" into there.  An alternative choice that game designers often use when the "do as much as you can" rule isn't working in a way that serves their design is to just clearly arrange the effects so that it does.  Here you would have players return treasures to the supply before gaining, which would make the requirement that 3 treasures are in the bin you seemed to intend a requirement for the card's second mode to be useful rather than a requirement for it to be legal.

Thanks for making me aware of that! Changing the wording to "pick exactly 3" seems to be the easiest fix to make it work as I wanted.

Ambush: Seems fun.  This is probably ok at two or three cost.  Since Durations miss the reshuffle twice as often, making it easier to buy multiples could add some fun factor in keeping village strategies cohesive in the odd game where this is the premiere village.

Other people seem to find it either lame or unnecessarily complicated. A simpler version like this was suggested:

Ambush (4):
(Action - Attack - Duration)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your turn:
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.

I'd find it interesing to hear what you think about this :)

Craftsmen: The top part seems too powerful for the bottom to do very much at all.  Some games the bottom isn't doing very much at all, but this seems to blank junkers pretty hard.
I'm not sure the rules truly support grouping several gains together and applying a replacement effect across them.  When you buy a cache, can you reveal this and specify that the 2 copper gains are being replaced but the imminent cache gain is not?  Of course, for some players they'll happily use house rules and understandings just for their playgroup and not care about it, but your cards have been pretty clean thus far ruleswise.

Someone informed me already that gaining is not simultaneously which I didn't know, so I will need to rewor(k/d) it.
I'll try to keep a balance between top and bottom part and to not make it a too strong choice against junkers.

Cursed Gold: I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon of saying this card is just plain cool.

Also here I got some mixed feedback.
Would you still think it's cool if I removed the "gain a curse" clause?

Furnace: This thing is really neat.  It is a nonterminal Mine you've costed at 4$ though.  Mine would be totally fine at 4$, people have agreed on that in the past.  Nonterminal Mine.  With other upsides? Concern.
Changing the cost messes with the crazy cool top and bottom half interaction.  So does weakening the effect.  So does removing +1 Action.  I think you should just add a penalty to it to balance it.  Embassy clause, giving opponents VP, -1$ to the effect.  But man this card is going places.
You could tack the drawback onto the below the line effect to be penalty when you buy it vs. the alternative of upside when you gain it some other way, so it feels like you haven't added that much noise.

The one big difference to Mine is that while you can upgrade Copper into Silver, you can't upgrade Silver into Gold.
A on-buy disadvantage might be cool but the card is already very text heavy, so that might be an issue.
I think I'd like to playtest it first before making any changes to it, but adding a -1$ seems like an easy way to weaken it a bit if considered too strong.

Gold Digger's Village:  I love it.  Stables is one of my favorite cards, this brings that experience to a village.  This looks safe at 3$, it's not strictly better than Village, and the primary risk of a 3$ card vs. a 4$ card is usually people acquiring too many, and these antistack, thirsting for the same resource.  You should be fine.  It's definitely not as lethal as Fishing Village's 3$ status.

You are very right about the anti-synergy with itself.
I might either put it at 3 or leave it at 4 and change the first +1$ into +2$ since the trashing of a Treasure card inherently gives you at least -1$.

Cathedral: This is cool.  Comparison to Embassy might raise light fears it's too strong.

A nerf is in the works. Not sure yet how exactly I'm going to implement it though.

Stolen Goods: I love this card.  It's so clever.  Because those limitations are absolutely the things you need to do eventually, and this card will so nastily trap so many newbies, it's just glorious.
It can be a 4$ card, I think.  It's strictly worse than Soothsayer, mostly.  If you play a Soothsayer, you gain the most expensive nonvictory card, maybe also get something else, and attack the enemy player.  The drawback of this turning into a Curse in endgame is a big deal.  It seems a lot more fascinating at 4$ and less dependent on gainers in the kingdom.

I actually thought about scraping this concept because it will probably lead to a boring playstyle where you buy a few of these, rush Gold/Platiniums, then just go BM and eventually trash the Stolen Goods if possible somehow.
Either that or it will be ignored by experienced players because it will, as you said, be a dead card really quick.

Treasurer: I said Stables was one of my favorite cards, so how do you think I'm gonna feel about a strictly better stables with this many upsides over it? :(

I didn't think about Stables when designing it, sorry  :-\
It will most likely be put at 6 and tweaked to be set apart more from Stables.
Maybe I'll also move the under-the-line effect to another card; I'm not sure yet.

Mountains:  The below the line text seems unrelated and unmotivated, but I guess that's not so bad.  This is kind of on the strong side, if you split the pile these are 4 point fairgrounds, which people have to put in a little work to get and are usually willing to do the work to get, whereas this doesn't require any work.  It doesn't really ruin a game to have a dominating VP option that's not Province, though, Nobles and Colony don't ruin games either.
You might want to increase the impact of the second ability by 1, if you Trade Route a Silver instead of an Estate because you want to make use of Mountain's special mechanic, you don't actually get closer to buying a Mountain.  That doesn't feel great.

It was difficult for me to come up with a decent alt-VP concept that fits into the expansions theme.
I get your Silver vs. Estate trashing argument and that's an issue I didn't think about.
How about I changed that part to: "If you gained a Treasure card this turn, this costs 2 less" ?
Now that effect can be used if there are gainers or +Buys in the kingdom, compared to trashers being required and the problem mentioned before is solved too.

Old Gem:  This card is pretty cool.  It won't be super rare for it to be the only nonterminal +buy on the board, and then its unique mechanic will be affecting the game.

Others said it is too similar to Charm, that's why I'll rework it. I kinda like having a Treasure card with +Buy but I don't know yet how to make it really interesting to play with.

All in all I really liked the vast majority of these cards, and OP, whose screenname I don't remember, is probably one of my favorite fan card designers now.  I'm surprised he hasn't played with all the cards yet.  But I hope he does, at least after ShuffleIT hits.

Thank you very much for that compliment! It makes me feel really proud and motivates me to keep working on card designs :)
However, you can't possibly remember my screenname because this was my very first time posting here ;D
May I ask what ShuffleIT is?

DBnator

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 06:31:22 pm »
+1

Do you have Tabletop Simulator?

No, but I could get it.
I already heard that it is a great way to quickly test fan-made cards, but I'm not entirely sure how it works.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 02:51:43 am »

Cathedral would be fun in a game with Patrol.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 01:52:30 pm »
+1

DBnator

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 03:52:52 pm »
+1

Replica:
Weird art. Looking for a replacement. On a side note:

I'd thought I'd just throw this out there.

This looks way more interesting to play with than my version. Did you make it?
Now I feel like just adding "gain to hand" to Replica would be too boring.

Offertory:
The art is fine and the name is fine, but if you wanted more digital art I think I had something that would work.

I'm pretty fine with the art I have.

Rainbow:
As I said, "Vein" might work. The theme is there but the name just sounds weird.

I haven't heard this word before, but I'll trust you that it is a fitting replacement ;D

Ambush:
I have a card with the same name. If you want to change it that would be fine, otherwise:
http://jackeavesart.deviantart.com/art/Ambush-431129972 was my spare image.

The image looks definitely good but if you already have a card named like that, I'll try to find a different name.

Craftsmen:
As I said, workers would be my preffered change.

Really good alternative name, thanks! :)

Bribe:
I have a card called that, but it might not stick around for long so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want a different image I could post one.

I like the art I found, but I'm open to suggestions if you want to post one.

Cathedral:
http://fantasyartdesign.com/free-wallpapers/digital-art.php?i_i=232&u_i=66
or
http://yourvisualdesigner.deviantart.com/art/Matte-Painting-Cathedral-Ruins-181844093

The second one doesn't fit that well in my opinion but the first one is quite an improvement to my art.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Collector:
There's a card called that in the Mini-Set design contest (check it out). You can probably rename it something while keeping the art, but if you don't want to change it no problem.

I'll try to find a similar name if I can.

http://avisnocturna.deviantart.com/art/The-journey-begins-379685069

How's this for wayfarer?

Great!

I hope that I'll have time to finish and post the first update within the next few days.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 03:58:27 pm »

Thanks for looking at all my suggestions!

Currency is a card made my Auto-Destruct-Sequence. It's very simmilar, and I think I'd usually play with this one over Replica as it seems to add more to the game.

Regarding Ambush, I'd suggest Intruder:
http://jorgematar.deviantart.com/art/Secret-Passage-260878279

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »

Offertory: that rework seems fine.  It's probably safe at 2$.
Ambush: The attack was my favorite part of the card, so I like the rework fine.
Mountains: That clause let's you buy a copper, then buy a cheap mountain using plus buy.  Which is actually really really cool.  You could leave the other condition on there if you wanted, "if you gained or trashed a treasure card this turn, this cost 2 less".  Doesn't stack.
Cursed Gold: I'm on my phone and can't look to see what the card does without deleting this post, haha.  Probably.
ShuffleIT: the new company in charge of online dominion as of January first, offering a cheap monthly subscription

DBnator

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 06:02:18 pm »
+1

Thanks for looking at all my suggestions!

Currency is a card made my Auto-Destruct-Sequence. It's very simmilar, and I think I'd usually play with this one over Replica as it seems to add more to the game.

Regarding Ambush, I'd suggest Intruder:
http://jorgematar.deviantart.com/art/Secret-Passage-260878279

I like the name, but the art doesn't fit very well imo because the asian theme is too different from the other artworks.
I'm also going to look a bit for a suitable image.

---

Offertory: that rework seems fine.  It's probably safe at 2$.
Ambush: The attack was my favorite part of the card, so I like the rework fine.
Mountains: That clause let's you buy a copper, then buy a cheap mountain using plus buy.  Which is actually really really cool.  You could leave the other condition on there if you wanted, "if you gained or trashed a treasure card this turn, this cost 2 less".  Doesn't stack.
Cursed Gold: I'm on my phone and can't look to see what the card does without deleting this post, haha.  Probably.
ShuffleIT: the new company in charge of online dominion as of January first, offering a cheap monthly subscription

I'm glad you approve the changes :)

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 06:58:02 am »

GateKeeper: Text can be confusing to people. seems balanced.
Replica:I sort of dislike this card, since it has high power swings. For example in kingdoms where no one buys many treasures this card is just a 2 cost copper, however in a kingdom where everybody is buying golds this card will be bought heavily. You want to at least get a treasure worth 4 off of this for this to be worth buying.
Wayfarer: Missing reaction type. seems balanced.
Antiquarian: I am not a fan of cards that lets you hand pick certain cards from your discard pile or deck and places them in your hand, since I cannot think of anything that does that in the base game. However since it's only the treasure sub-type and it requires some setup this seems reasonable.
Offertory: Seems too bad with just stock treasures, discarding a silver to gain one just seems too slow.
Rainbow: I actually kinda like this card. The sad part about these fool's gold type card is that if more than one player goes after them the pile is pretty much guaranteed to be piled out.
Reclamation: Seems too powerful for a 3 cost.
Restorer: Too powerful with it's current reaction effect since later in the game you can use it with remodel/forge/etc to net a province.   
Ambush: "If no treasure card was discarded" this effect will rarely work in games with no trashing. To me it feels like a card with a weaker attack than militia however with a cute way to net actions. Seem awkward.
Craftsmen: Very few cards let you gain multiple at once. With just the normal action a lot I think making this a 3 cost might work since 2 cards with the same cost that you want to trash will be hard to get once you get rid of a few coppers.
Cursed Gold: I don't like this card. It's just a silver that costs 4 with a downside if you have this with a copper. At it's net value goes to 1 if you have 2 coppers with this assuming you discard 1 copper.
Furnace: (or 2 if it isn't fixed) should be moved to be next to the blank coin for less confusion. Also this card only really seems usable if there there is a worth wild 3 costed card in the kingdom or if capital is in the kingdom. I don't really like this small range of uses.
Gold Digger's Village: I would change it's effect to this. "+2 actions You may trash a treasure card from your hand, if you do: +1 coin. Additionally, if it costs 3 coins or more +1 card." if you want to keep to as a 4 cost. However nice idea I like it.
Peasant Village: I would remove the +1 coin and make it cost 2. However like gold digger's village I like the idea.
Bribe: It's cute but maybe too cute. The only good use I see for this card besides silver is to combo with upgrade cards.
Cathedral: Not sure what to think of this card, it seems strong being able to cycle victory cards late game and being able to put dead actions back on top of your deck is cute. Idk
Collector: I think the bottom effect is way too strong. You can discard a left over victory card to play a treasure you just bought, or with actions that net you cards it's super strong to cycle out dead cards for them.
Foundry: Seems weak. +2 cards with a force trash with a weak trash effect seems bad.
Greed: Try to stay away from card ideas with too mean of effects. This card can destroy deck engines.
Money Laundering: Way to mean of an attack. This card can force gold or even fortune trashes and give a numerous amount of copper, way to mean and no trasher can keep up with it if it trashes more than coppers.
Stolen Goods: It works but it just seems weaker than contraband. It also seems to good for for the 4 cost slot.
Treasurer: Awful card design, it's just a power-creep to Stables.
Investor: Why the or more? very few cards can net you more than one treasure at the same time. Also the bottom text is unneeded.
Mountains: Ehh I don't like this card, since it forces you to buy just mountains if you want to buy it at all. you need at least 4 mountains for it to be better than duchy and if you have 8 they are all provinces.
Old Gem: Worst than charm even as a 5 cost. This could maybe work as a 4 cost treasure if you remove the bottom text.

My favorites are, Rainbow, Cathedral, and the ideas behind gold digger's village and peasant village
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:04:10 pm by loneXolf »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2016, 08:04:46 pm »

I'm not sure how Craftsmen/Workers works. When do you gain more than 1 card at once?

loneXolf

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 04:53:51 am »

I'm not sure how Craftsmen/Workers works. When do you gain more than 1 card at once?

I think he messed up the text for those, however a few cards/events let you gain two cards at once, such Treasure Hunter for example.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2016, 07:05:58 am »

I think he messed up the text for those, however a few cards/events let you gain two cards at once, such Treasure Hunter for example.
Yeah but I'm pretty sure by the rules of the game all the silvers from Treasure Hunter are still seperate events.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2016, 10:45:09 am »
+1

Yeah but I'm pretty sure by the rules of the game all the silvers from Treasure Hunter are still seperate events.

You are correct. Craftsmen/Workers' reaction doesn't work.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

loneXolf

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2016, 10:24:40 pm »

I could not find this in the rules. However I don't think it matters, since a card that only works with a low amount of other cards should not exist.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:22 am »

I could not find this in the rules. However I don't think it matters, since a card that only works with a low amount of other cards should not exist.
Well, I'm pretty sure it's obvious. If you gain 3 Coppers at the "Same time" and reveal trader, are they all Silver? What if you want a copper for Keep? They are all different events because you can react to each of them indepenantly.

DBnator

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2016, 08:35:19 pm »
+2

I finally had time to finish and post the first fixes/reworks/adjustments to my cards based on your feedback.
These are the cards which I have changed more on than just little details such as name, cost or typos.
I'll put in a short comment for each card, explaining what I changed and maybe also why.

2 cost cards:

Offertory: Costs reduced to 2, removed cost limitation for the discarded/gained card and allowed discarding Action cards too.
Wayfarer: Changed upper part from complicated Buy-Action exchange to Treasure gaining, depending on if it is the first time played this turn.

4 cost cards:

Gold Miner's  Village: Made name slightly shorter, lowered cost limit for trashed card and changed the last +$ from 1 to 2. The reason for this buff is that in order to get the second effect you have to trash at least a Silver which can only be done a limited number of times and inherently gives -2$.
Intruders: New art and name; effect was completely reworked. I'm still not too happy with the card but I wanted to hear your oppinions on it  ;D
Rare Gem: Improved name and almost complete rework to make it less similar to Charm. I really like how it turned out now, but it feels like it could be used for a broken combo...
Replica: Complete rework. Imo the old name and art don't fit the new effect as well anymore; looking for new ones and open for suggestions.
Stolen Goods: Took name/art from another card and removed the curse gain when no card is discarded.
Workers: New name and adjusted the lower part so it can actually be used. However, the way it works has also been slightly changed.

5 cost cards:

Cathedral: New art and nerfed, while trying to keep the core mechanic. Let me know if it seems more balanced now :)
Investor: I tried to make this more useful in general while keeping the base concept I was aiming for.
Launderer: Shorter name and small rework. Core idea stayed the same, but it should be both more reliable and less swingy now. (Big thanks to Accatitippi for the suggestion!)

6 cost cards:

Greed: New art and complete rework. I think this one fits well into the overall expansion and isn't as frustrating to other player as the first version.
Mountains: Adjusted the lower part so it can be used in more Kingdoms.
Treasurer: Complete rework; highly experimental. I had a really hard time judging the power of this card. I'm not sure if it will be strong or weak, and if it is balanced it might not even be an interesting option to play; I don't know. So that's another card where I'm really looking forward to your feedback.

I haven't updated the first post yet and I won't do it today anymore because it is past 2:30am for me already and I really need to sleep now.
I'll catch up on that tomorrow  8)

And big thanks again to ThetaSigma12 for helping me finding better artworks and more fitting names! :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:44:07 pm by DBnator »

loneXolf

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »

I will comment on a few of these updated cards.
Gold Miner's Village: Gold Miner's Village seems a bit better than spice merchant. Gold Miner's Village can into a bazaar or lost city +3 coins(If you trash a silver+) while still being able to be +2 actions if you cannot trash. While spice merchant turns into a woodcutter or laboratory (and sometimes you trash a silver for this effect anyway).(I know spice merchant's effect can be better early on in the game, however the overall strength of gold miner's village seems a bit better than spice merchant.)

Rare Gem: Seems quite strong if you buy two cards and can get out of hand if you buy +3 cards. For example you can turn this card into a gold by buying a copper and you can do that two times before it gets worst than cache (5 cost card) and that's only one use of this card.

Treasurer: Not sure how good this card is, it seems like it just turns golds into much better overlords, while being able to be good with silvers in some kingdoms, and being a copper trasher. Also weird that you can use gold to get more treasurers.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:59:17 am by loneXolf »

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 05:44:09 am »

Rare Gem is basically cost reduction that doesn't apply to the first Buy of the turn, but which can reduce costs past $0.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 08:51:54 am »

Offertory: Looking good.
Wayfarer: Looking good.
Gold Miner's Village: Did it need the buff? I agree with the or more for the bonus, but still a little unsure.
Intruders: Wayyyy too mean. It's either a Ghost ship or a super Leigonary. The Duration effect is nice, and the chosing attack is cool
Maybe if it was a little more flexible for them or something?
Rare Gem: Looking Good.
Replica: Maybe it should go onto your deck instead? You'll usually want to gain an Action but you can't play it barring Villa.
Stolen Goods: I don't understand the bottom. Does it simply give you + if you have a Copper in play, or when you play one?
Workers: Looks good.
Cathedral: I read it as:
+3 Cards
You may discard 2 cards.
If you discarded a Victory card, +2 Cards and each other player may discard a Victory card, to draw a card.
It's cool.
Investor: I don't really like the art, but the effect is nice.
Launderer: Looking good, other than the art.
Greed: I don't think the "but not less than " is needed. If their is no card to gain they just don't gain one.
Mountains: I don't like cards that coun't themselves.
Treasurer: Don't like the art.

All in all great changes! Looking forward to some new updates  ;D!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 03:14:05 pm »

Yeah but Spice Merchant is hot garbage.  Lots of cards near the water get balancing point are going to be a lot better than Spice Merchant. 

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 09:53:39 pm »

Treasurer: Complete rework; highly experimental. I had a really hard time judging the power of this card. I'm not sure if it will be strong or weak, and if it is balanced it might not even be an interesting option to play; I don't know. So that's another card where I'm really looking forward to your feedback.

I think Treasurer is an interesting card which I'm going to playtest, but I agree with a previous commenter that the art could be improved.

I found a few illustrations of medieval-looking Treasurers/Moneychangers/Bankers handling coins, which I think helps. All are by the same artist, with the last three being variations on the same theme:

The Moneychangers by Marinus van Reymerswaele

The Moneychanger and His Wife by Marinus van Reymerswaele

The Banker and His Wife by Marinus van Reymerswaele

The Banker and His Wife
by Marinus van Reymerswaele

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:00:40 pm by Thanar »

DBnator

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 03:44:39 pm »
+1

Reclamation: Seems too powerful for a 3 cost.

Keep in mind that you won't really get a +$ benefit because you lose a Treasure card from your hand.
Actually I'm rather afraid that it will be too weak. Like many other cards here it needs some playtesting.

Restorer: Too powerful with it's current reaction effect since later in the game you can use it with remodel/forge/etc to net a province.   

But in order to do that you need to get Gold+Remodel+Restorer in your hand consistently, which is a 3 card combo.
And Gold+Gold+Silver is also a 3 card combo that can give you a province each turn, so I don't see a big issue with that.

Cursed Gold: I don't like this card. It's just a silver that costs 4 with a downside if you have this with a copper. At it's net value goes to 1 if you have 2 coppers with this assuming you discard 1 copper.

It's a very cheap Gold if you discard a Victory card or an Action card you couldn't play this turn and use it together with Treasures other than Copper.
However I removed the Curse-gaining if you didn't discard a card to make it less punishing.

Collector: I think the bottom effect is way too strong. You can discard a left over victory card to play a treasure you just bought, or with actions that net you cards it's super strong to cycle out dead cards for them.

You can't play Treasures anymore after buying a card.
And cycling out dead cards is the whole point of this card ;)
Playtesting might prove me wrong, but I think the setup needed to make really good use of this card justifies it's potential power.

Foundry: Seems weak. +2 cards with a force trash with a weak trash effect seems bad.

I made the trash for benefit optional.

Mountains: Ehh I don't like this card, since it forces you to buy just mountains if you want to buy it at all. you need at least 4 mountains for it to be better than duchy and if you have 8 they are all provinces.

Seems like a lot of people don't like this concept. I'll think of something different.

---

Rare Gem is basically cost reduction that doesn't apply to the first Buy of the turn, but which can reduce costs past $0.

Interesting. I haven't thought of it that way yet. Do you think that's a bad thing?

---

Gold Miner's Village: Did it need the buff? I agree with the or more for the bonus, but still a little unsure.

I think so, because you can't trash Silver for it very often (unless you're in a Masterpiece+Trader game ;D) so it needs to be rewarding.

Intruders: Wayyyy too mean. It's either a Ghost ship or a super Leigonary. The Duration effect is nice, and the chosing attack is cool
Maybe if it was a little more flexible for them or something?

I might be wrong, but I think allowing the other player to choose between the 2 makes it quite a lot weaker.
A strong use of Ghostship is that you can stall another player who has a hand full of Victory cards/Curses, but with Intruders he could just discard them which wouldn't affect his next turn. And on the other hand he could benefit from chosing to put cards on his deck if he has a Terminal collision or "too much" Treasure cards in hand.

However from a thematical point of view I too would prefer a different kind of attack.
Something like forcing the other player to discard/trash and then gaining a copy of one of these cards, which would fit the intruding&stealing theme imo.

Replica: Maybe it should go onto your deck instead? You'll usually want to gain an Action but you can't play it barring Villa.

Unless you have +Actions :P
But yes, that would probably make more sense.

Stolen Goods: I don't understand the bottom. Does it simply give you + if you have a Copper in play, or when you play one?

It's meant to be a shorter version of "If you play this while having Copper in play or play a Copper while this is in play: -1$ for this turn."

Cathedral: I read it as:
+3 Cards
You may discard 2 cards.
If you discarded a Victory card, +2 Cards and each other player may discard a Victory card, to draw a card.
It's cool.

Not quite; if you want to discard, one of them has to be a Victory card.
Is it clearer if I change the "If you did: +2 cards" into "If you did both: +2 cards"?

Investor: I don't really like the art, but the effect is nice.
Launderer: Looking good, other than the art.
Treasurer: Don't like the art.

I'm not happy with any of these arts either, but it's the best I could find so far :/

Greed: I don't think the "but not less than " is needed. If their is no card to gain they just don't gain one.

Okay, I'll remove that part.

---

I think Treasurer is an interesting card which I'm going to playtest, but I agree with a previous commenter that the art could be improved.

Cool, I'm really looking forward to hearing your results! :D

I found a few illustrations of medieval-looking Treasurers/Moneychangers/Bankers handling coins, which I think helps. All are by the same artist, with the last three being variations on the same theme:

Thanks for these suggestions! I have used the first art for Investor already, but one of the bottom three should work :)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 03:52:09 pm »

Intruders still seems really mean. Even if you have 2 junk you still have to discard 3, and I think anything that can lower you to 2 cards in hand for can't really exist.

If you played Replica in your Action phase, but normally you'd play it as a treasure and then the Action you gained would give you nothing.

I see what you mean for Stolen Goods and Cathedral.

loneXolf

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 03:06:27 am »

But in order to do that you need to get Gold+Remodel+Restorer in your hand consistently, which is a 3 card combo.
And Gold+Gold+Silver is also a 3 card combo that can give you a province each turn, so I don't see a big issue with that.

My point was that you only need Any +6 costing card (Including province)+Remodel +Restorer for a remodel combo to work. However the better combo is Rebuild+Restorer while you have a province and no more than one other different victory card.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.