Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Card Sleeves  (Read 25503 times)

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Card Sleeves
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:53:50 pm »

I'm thinking of buying some card sleeves for my Dominion set.

I was originally thinking that the Mayday Games card sleeves looked promising, but then I noticed this thread on BGG;

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/726279/mayday-games-euro-card-sleeves-horrible

which has some incredibly mixed reviews on them....

I was just wondering if any of you guys have bought card sleeves for your Dominion sets? What are the best ones?

XnFM

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Card Sleeves
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:02 pm »

I use Mayday premium sleeves, and the only complaint I have about them is that I can't fit the cards back into the original box.  I've been through enough sleeves to sleeve every expansion and most of the promos and the quality has been excellent. I've had maybe one or two sleeves out of every 150 - 200, that have been either too small, scuffed, or had "stuff" embedded in them; that's better than my track record with Dragon Shields*. I don't know about their regular sleeves, but the premium ones are good.

*A high-quality standard CCG size card sleeve. ~$10/100 iirc.

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »

Thats good to know :)

I've finally found a good price on the Mayday sleeves that ships within Australia so I think i'll go with those

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:59:17 am »
+1

I've never had a problem with the Mayday sleeves, and I have everything but Hinterlands sleeved.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:16 pm »

I use Ultra Pro sleeves designed for Magic.  Not the best fit, but I was supporting my local gaming store purchasing them in very large quantities and have had a very good experience with Ultra Pros lasting a very long time.
Stop reading my signature.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:23:09 pm »
+1

I have everything sleeved with the (non-premium) Mayday sleeves, and it's been fine for me. I've had to replace some sleeves on Coppers Estates, but not a whole lot.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:39:15 pm »
+3

So now that I've gotten my Mayday Sleeves a quick review.

I sleeved Dominion, Intrigue and Hinterlands with them so about 1200 cards all up. I found 13 sleeves that either broke or were too small. For me a 1% failure rate is more than acceptable. The thing that I was most worried about was the feel of the sleeves and whether they would be weird to shuffle. But you get used to the feel of them pretty quickly and in fact I think they're easier to shuffle. My original estates and coppers were getting a bit sticky from overuse and it was getting a pain to shuffle (especially in the early game) but now with the sleeves if anything they're too slippery and they shuffle quite nicely.

So for the peace of mind (especially around drinks and people who've had a few :P), increased lifespan of the cards and ease of shuffling I would definitely recommend them.

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:09:15 pm »

I sleeved Dominion, Intrigue and Hinterlands with them so about 1200 cards all up. I found 13 sleeves that either broke or were too small. For me a 1% failure rate is more than acceptable. The thing that I was most worried about was the feel of the sleeves and whether they would be weird to shuffle. But you get used to the feel of them pretty quickly and in fact I think they're easier to shuffle.

Thanks for the review. I've been planning to sleeve all my Dominion cards and been thinking if the non-premium sleeves are good enough. Premium sleeves would be better for sure, but it costs about 80€ to sleeve all my 2200 cards with them, so it's a bit expensive.

My original estates and coppers were getting a bit sticky from overuse and it was getting a pain to shuffle (especially in the early game) but now with the sleeves if anything they're too slippery and they shuffle quite nicely.

This is happening to me too, those same three estates keep coming in same hand, no matter how long I'm reshuffling  :D

So for the peace of mind (especially around drinks and people who've had a few :P), increased lifespan of the cards and ease of shuffling I would definitely recommend them.

Thanks for that. I think I'm going to order "few" packs too, about 25-30€ for me. Wasn't there a discount if you ordered at least 25 packs of sleeves?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:12:19 pm by Julle »

Cataphract

• Coppersmith
  • Owner and webmaster of SleeveDominion.com
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
    • Quality card sleeves for Dominion
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 04:27:12 am »

Similar to MayDay sleeves are Cataphract Sleeves, however with a lower fail rate, as each pack is checked by hand before sending out.

www.sleevedominion.com

There is a little, easy affiliate option too for Dominion enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:29:16 am by Cataphract »
PROTECTIVE CARD SLEEVES FOR DOMINION - best prices! Worldwide Shipping included. Visit www.SleeveDominion.com today!

beefy king

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:09:24 pm »

I had sleeved all pre-DarkAges cards with these (EDIT for clarification: Mayday) sleeves.  There was some slight variation in size, and after 3 hundred games I had to re-sleeve the estates and coppers.  Overall I was happy with them.  But the 6 packs I ordered along with Dark Ages were all about 3 millimeters narrower, and none of them fit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:54:40 am by beefy king »

Cataphract

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 10:48:50 pm »

I had sleeved all pre-DarkAges cards with these sleeves.  There was some slight variation in size, and after 3 hundred games I had to re-sleeve the estates and coppers.  Overall I was happy with them.  But the 6 packs I ordered along with Dark Ages were all about 3 millimeters narrower, and none of them fit.

Which sleeves are referring to? Not the Cataphract ones I am sure.
PROTECTIVE CARD SLEEVES FOR DOMINION - best prices! Worldwide Shipping included. Visit www.SleeveDominion.com today!

beefy king

• Pawn
    • View Profile

Cataphract

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 05:10:45 am »

Ah good, because the sleeves I am selling shouldn't have any wrong sizes, as each order is checked for size consistency before sending out. Scared me  :o

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:12:49 pm »
+1

I sleeved Dominion, Intrigue and Hinterlands with them so about 1200 cards all up. I found 13 sleeves that either broke or were too small. For me a 1% failure rate is more than acceptable. The thing that I was most worried about was the feel of the sleeves and whether they would be weird to shuffle. But you get used to the feel of them pretty quickly and in fact I think they're easier to shuffle. My original estates and coppers were getting a bit sticky from overuse and it was getting a pain to shuffle (especially in the early game) but now with the sleeves if anything they're too slippery and they shuffle quite nicely.

Given this thread has had some recent activity, i'll update my review 6 months on.

I have completely gotten used to the feel of the sleeves. Any worries I had about it feeling unnatural or ruining playing the game are gone. So if that was holding you back from sleeving your cards then you can stop worrying. I really see it as an investment. I want to keep playing Dominion untill I can't shuffle anymore, and the sleeves have added to the lifespan of the cards enormously.

The fail rate after 6 months has easily doubled (so that makes it like 2.5%). Some of the sleeves tear at the edges. This is mostly on the cards with the greatest stress on them; the coppers/estates. This is still a very acceptable to me, I had the spares lying around anyway.

I would still highly recommend sleeves in general and Mayday sleeves in specific to a friend :)

agrajag

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 01:05:10 pm »
+1

Just for another data point: I also use Mayday sleeves (normal, not premium). They work great. I've bought like ~30 packs, and out of that only had one pack with sleeves that were too small. And I'd say less than 10 sleeves have ripped so far after heavy usage. So thats like a 3% failure rate for me (probably a lot less actually. Even most  of the "too small" sleeves were big enough to squeeze in a card, it was just a tight fit. Probably less than 20 were actually too small to fit a card). Each pack is pretty cheap, so I would just recommend buying a few more than you need in case you get a bad batch and/or to replace ripped ones.

I would advise against the premium sleeves. Not only are they more money, but they're noticeably thicker which means you can fit less cards in a box.

Keep in mind that sleeves from different companies will be recognizably different, so once you start sleeving cards make sure you buy enough to cover any future expansions you plan on buying (I ordered extra in anticipation for Guilds).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:06:59 pm by agrajag »

Stick In The Mud

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 06:07:51 pm »
+1

Fantasy flight games . Purple sleeves . They are wonderful !

beefy king

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:42 am »

I had sleeved all pre-DarkAges cards with these (EDIT for clarification: Mayday) sleeves.  There was some slight variation in size, and after 3 hundred games I had to re-sleeve the estates and coppers.  Overall I was happy with them.  But the 6 packs I ordered along with Dark Ages were all about 3 millimeters narrower, and none of them fit.

Just to note, I contacted MayDay and they sent me replacements which fit just fine.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 12:15:59 pm »

Sorry for re-animating this thread, but it there a chance to get decent card sleeves in Europe without paying insane amounts of shipping? I visited Mayday's website today (there's 31.415% discount if you enter "Pi" as a promo code) and shipping 30x 100 sleeves would cost me almost as much as the sleeves themselves. Anyone here that ordered sleeves to the old world? Or bought them there from a local trader, maybe? Thanks for your help.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:33 am »
+2

Well, someone already necroed this thread, might as well ask about it here.

I don't "get" sleeve-ing Dominion cards. Like, what's the point? For MTG and whatnot, makes total sense. Cards are commodities, they're a simple investment to preserve card value. But Dominion cards aren't. It's $300ish to replace an entire collection of Dominion cards.

The main benefit I see is that it's easier to overhand shuffle sleeved cards, and if you spill beer you're less immediately fucked than if you spill them on cards. And those are nice benefits, but I would have to give up binder storage to sleeve cards, and I don't have a reason good enough to justify doing that. I'd love to hear one, preferably coupled with a good card storage solution, but it just doesn't seem right for me.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:33 am »
+3

I don't personally use them, but card sleeves do make it possible to proxy fan cards (or playtest unreleased cards...<.< ).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 12:09:43 pm »
+1

I don't "get" sleeve-ing Dominion cards. Like, what's the point? For MTG and whatnot, makes total sense. Cards are commodities, they're a simple investment to preserve card value. But Dominion cards aren't. It's $300ish to replace an entire collection of Dominion cards.

The main benefit I see is that it's easier to overhand shuffle sleeved cards, and if you spill beer you're less immediately fucked than if you spill them on cards. And those are nice benefits, but I would have to give up binder storage to sleeve cards, and I don't have a reason good enough to justify doing that. I'd love to hear one, preferably coupled with a good card storage solution, but it just doesn't seem right for me.
It protects them while shuffling.  I played so many games with my base set cards that the treasures/VP's were all worn on the edges and getting pretty gross.  Unlike MtG, there's tons of shuffling in dominion which over time does damage them.  And it's cheaper to replace $100 worth of sleeves than $300 worth of cards.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 12:11:24 pm »
+5

After 10 or 20 games, you will be able to tell whether your opponents have coppers and/or estates in hand if the cards are unsleeved.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 03:06:20 pm »

I don't personally use them, but card sleeves do make it possible to proxy fan cards (or playtest unreleased cards...<.< ).

This is my main reason. I just replaced my base cards with the newly illustrated ones, and most kingdom cards are still decently in shape. It's just that i like to do fan cards and printing them on blanks just makes them feel and behave noticeably different. Just printing on normal paper and putting it in a sleeve with a normal card is faster, easier and doesn't cost 10 blanks each time.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 05:24:48 pm »
+1

Yeah, I got the Mayday sleeves and I am quite satisfied with them. My wife hates shuffling them but I find it easier (I have to do it differently, but that's fine.) I will often have to replace one or two for every game, but they are so much cheaper than the cards that it's definitely worth it. Frankly, it's an investment; the sleeves will help the cards last longer, so I earn more sessions by sleeving.

Nodev

• Pawn
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 12:48:41 am »
+1

I'm using the FF Lannister sleeves. I used to use these sleeves for Magic, they shuffle pretty well, look stellar, and haven't given me any problems so far. Dominion is such a Lannister game, I had to do it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.723 seconds with 21 queries.