Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards you don't actually buy  (Read 4759 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Cards you don't actually buy
« on: October 28, 2016, 05:28:05 pm »
+1

Overseer
3$
+3 Cards
Discard a Treasure card (or reveal a hand with no treasures).
You may trash a Refugee Camp from your hand.

Refugee Camp (no randomizer card)
*2$ - Action
+2 Actions
+1$
+1 Buy

Ducat
*4$ - Treasure
+3$
Any player may reveal a Duchy from his or her hand.  If any player does, return Ducat to the supply.

Woad Raider
5$ Action - Attack
+2$
Each player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals his or her hand.  For each player, name a card, and that player discard all copies of the named card. Trash Woad Raider.

I'm a big fan of Duchess, so I made up some cards with Duchess clauses.  The first one feels like it really needs a ban on buying the card, otherwise it will never compete with Village.  As Donald has said, Village could be 0$ and function pretty similarly.  Refugee Camp would pretty much always be strictly worse than Village if it costed 0, there would be no reason to fool with its recursive drawback if there were other ways to get +actions and getting +actions is going to cost you at least one buy anyway (except on boards flooded with +buy, but I don't want it restricted to that).

The second one -could- be buyable at 5$, but I think makes for more interesting games at unbuyable.  On an engine board that looks towards Goonsing eachother later but with no trashing, you could easily buy it as a 5$ gold and say, go ahead, take a nonGoons Duchy AND a nonGoons goldish to try to nerf me.  I dare you.  But I think it's more interesting when it's only a Duchy dance wrinkle.  It's also possible that this is better as a Silver. 

The last one has this core concept of what if you had a devastating attack, but you could guarantee Alms was always on the same kingdoms where that attack showed up, so it's kind of ok.  When I looked back on the card it seemed to be quite the case that buyable is better than nonbuyable.  I think it's a weak 5, though it's hard to say since gaining spoils is such an abstract bonus on the similar Pillage.  I would think its use as an actual 5$ purchase would be tactical and surgical and an effort to hit something specific with the attack.  The vanilla bonuses on this one might need a tweak.

Hopefully at least one of these is better than my recent vomit!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:29:57 pm by popsofctown »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Cards you don't actually buy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:33:15 pm »

Um, as worded, if I choose to take a Refugee camp when I gain another card, my opponent can instantly force me to take 8 more. And more often than not, that would be the right move probably. And it's also impossible for the stack to ever empty, which seems ugly.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 05:40:06 pm »

And most of the time, Woad Raider should be much stronger than Pillage. I think the Vanilla bonus is usually stronger, the attack is strictly harsher, and it costs as little as you have to spend.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:02:32 pm »

I was going for crazy and absurd.  At a minimum, if it's the only village and it's a Goons tableau, gaining Necropoli at risk of getting more of them than you'd prefer is mandatory.  But I want to figure out something to where maybe it competes with normal villages also.

The templating ugliness is true.

I tried to make Refugee camp a kind of spoils pile so that maybe it will work.  The idea is that with 1 Overseer in deck and a few powerful 5$ terminals in deck, you could start gaining free camps without getting decimated for it, donating the wrong stack could be the wrong play, it's not that bad, and now you ensure you yourself will spend 1 buy on every single one of your villages when someone else didn't.

I think Woad Raider is unsalvageable
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 09:04:24 pm by popsofctown »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 03:27:56 am »
+4

"Cards you don't actually buy" is a pretty old concept in Dominion. It was first introduced in the original Base set in cards such as Adventurer and Thief.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 03:41:33 am »

With Overlord (already a real card name), the setup clause isn't necessary. See Tournament, Hermit, Spoils-gainers.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 06:30:40 am »

Thanks and thanks!

My excuse for being ignorant about official cards is being pumped about ShuffleIT and not having a physical dominion local playgroup.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:38 am »

I like Overseer. Could be on the strong side though but then again I think that even "+3 Cards | take 1 Debt" would be on the strong side of 3.

Refugee Camp is technically broken due to the infinite loop but it will probably be OK if you just cut that.

I like Ducat, a  semi-Spoils and a kind of a fixed Duchess which you might actually go for and which thus actually makes Duchies more viable.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:11:16 am by tristan »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 09:43:33 am »

I like Overseer. Could be on the strong side though but then again I think that even "+3 Cards | take 1 Debt" would be on the strong side of 3.
FTFY.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 09:50:03 am »

It's worse than Smithy so I thought 3 is ok since 3 and 4 are kind of the same.  But I don't mind putting it at 4 at all. 

Isn't 3 cards take 1 debt almost strictly better than 3 cards discard a treasure? Sometimes you're forced to discard a Silver, not a Copper.

The infinite loop is on purpose.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 10:14:26 am »

It's worse than Smithy so I thought 3 is ok since 3 and 4 are kind of the same.  But I don't mind putting it at 4 at all. 

Isn't 3 cards take 1 debt almost strictly better than 3 cards discard a treasure? Sometimes you're forced to discard a Silver, not a Copper.

Well, Overseer has to cost 4 as it is strictly worse than a Smithy.
Taking a Debt can be worse (if you play an engine without any Treasures ) or worse (if you gotta discard Silver/Gold) than discarding a Treasure.

I think that junking an opponent with 10 Refugee Camps could be devastating so I wouldn't go for that.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 12:53:13 pm »

Well, Overseer has to cost 4 as it is strictly worse than a Smithy.

I think you mean 3, since Smithy costs 4.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 12:59:06 pm »

You can't make an opponent gain tons of Refugee Camps unless they elect to take one.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »
+1

Wow, I saw the title and I just thought this was a thread about Scout, but instead its about Fan Cards, oh well.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 07:04:21 pm »
+1

Well some here would argue my card design ability mimics the level Donald was performing at when he cranked out Scout..

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 08:43:00 pm »

I was going for crazy and absurd.  At a minimum, if it's the only village and it's a Goons tableau, gaining Necropoli at risk of getting more of them than you'd prefer is mandatory.  But I want to figure out something to where maybe it competes with normal villages also.

The templating ugliness is true.

I tried to make Refugee camp a kind of spoils pile so that maybe it will work.  The idea is that with 1 Overseer in deck and a few powerful 5$ terminals in deck, you could start gaining free camps without getting decimated for it, donating the wrong stack could be the wrong play, it's not that bad, and now you ensure you yourself will spend 1 buy on every single one of your villages when someone else didn't.

I think Woad Raider is unsalvageable

How about this?
Overseer
3$
+3 Cards
Discard a Treasure card (or reveal a hand with no treasures).
You may gain a Refugee Camp.

Refugee Camp
*2$ - Action
+2 Actions
+1$
Return this to its pile.
(This isn't in the supply)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 10:31:37 pm »

I feel like that's a totally completely different card, but it is independently a good design, not gonna lie.  I think you'd want to push Overseer to 4$ though, the double opener would be going places but the single opener would be right where you want the balance.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 03:17:37 am »

You can't make an opponent gain tons of Refugee Camps unless they elect to take one.
Sure. But your current design deterrs players from gaining one Refugee Camp as they might very well end up getting junked with 10 of them so why do the card in the first place if it will most likely never be gained at all?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 04:03:40 am »

I think Refugee Camp needs more attraction if it junks your deck.

Refugee Camp
cost $0* - Action
+2 Action
+$2

When you buy a card, you may gain this and a Copper.
(This is not in the Supply.)
This is finite, more strategic, more attractive I think.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 04:20:00 am »

Even with the self-copper junking this might be too strong. It is after all nearly as good as a Festival and would thus be an overpowered 4 without the self-junking clause.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 08:02:05 am »

Even with the self-copper junking this might be too strong. It is after all nearly as good as a Festival and would thus be an overpowered 4 without the self-junking clause.
Hmm, overpowered at 4 seems like a strech.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 08:58:13 am »

No, he's right... without the junking, it's just Festival without +buy. Adding just a buy wouldn't take a card from $4 to $5. 

*Edit* I just realized that that's what Peddler vs Market is, so never mind.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 12:57:11 pm »

Sure. But your current design deterrs players from gaining one Refugee Camp as they might very well end up getting junked with 10 of them so why do the card in the first place if it will most likely never be gained at all?
On a board with + buy and no other villages it seems too good to pass up.

I'll buff it again, I want to believe in this concept.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:29:38 pm by popsofctown »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:57 pm »

No, he's right... without the junking, it's just Festival without +buy. Adding just a buy wouldn't take a card from $4 to $5. 

*Edit* I just realized that that's what Peddler vs Market is, so never mind.

Except that the difference is actually between Market and Poacher, the latter of which is strictly worse than Peddler. Even then, adding just a buy doesn't actually take a card from $4 to $5; adding a buy and removing a drawback does.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.