Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quarry Outpost  (Read 1976 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Quarry Outpost
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:28:14 pm »
+1

Quarry Outpost
5$ Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +2 Actions
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:42:51 pm by popsofctown »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry Outpost
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 02:14:05 pm »

Needs to cost like 7 or so

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 02:16:46 pm »

Yeah this is Caravan and Fishing Village put together, with 2 extra buys and an extra Action. This can't be balanced at $5.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:00:55 pm »

I think folks here are missing that you don't get the extra buy until your next turn and that the duration effect applies to everybody.
What makes the card overpowered is that you draw an extra card next turn.

I think that this version would make more sense. It would have to cost 4$ though (duration Village is roughly a 4)

Quarry Outpost
4$ Action - Duration
+1 Card
+2 Actions
At the start of your next turn: +1 Action

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:45:17 pm »

I typoed.  It's supposed to say other players.

It's supposed to be broken in an interesting way more so than weak enough that other 5's always get considered.  The question is how many to get, not whether to get them at all.  To that end I'd rather increase the drawback rather than nerf the effect.

I think 6$ is a fine cost for it too though.

The typo has a major impact on the effect of the card so I'd wonder what people's second take is.  It's very different when it encourages your opponents to beat you with a treasure deck versus buying lots of treasures yourself also.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:45 pm »

The name is off i think. when i think of quarry out post i am like duration quarry extra turn thing.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 08:23:49 am »

OK, let'S try to analyze this. The duration effect is similar in strength to that of a free Market for the other players. The cost reduction can be weaker or stronger than a coin (my hunch is that it is on average a tad weaker).
You get a Village and a duration double Village and Lab
I think the marginal benefit of the second extra Action in the second turn is small (given that the card already provides a Village effect in the first turn so if you have several of them in your deck you surely have enough Actions) so this is kinda like a Village plus a duration Lost City.

My guess is that this is definitely OK for 5$. 6$ seems like too much. The other folks do after all get all that cheap Gold and that extra Buy, i.e. you can easily imagine a game in which Quarry Outpost is the only Action card being played.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 11:09:26 am »

The fact that a single cost reduction that's restricted to treasures is weaker than coin but stacked cost reduction become stronger than coin, restricted or not, is the part I like about the card.  That was the idea.

Your last statement is kinda weird and off though.  I don't think I can easily imagine a game in which Quarry Outpost is the only Action card being played.  That would mean both players are only buying Labs and Treasures where the treasures are cheaper (or maybe one player buys only treasures).  Surely a terminal upgrades that deck, if Quarry Outposts are out often the treasures might be more attractive often times, but 1 opposing Quarry Outpost and 4$ to spend or 0 opposing Quarry Outpost will come up and buying a terminal will be much better.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 11:47:17 am »

What I meant is that Quarry Outpost is the only Dominion card I know which provides everything, i.e. Actions, Cards, Coins in the form of Treasure cost reduction and Buys. So far you needed at least two card for that (e.g. Fishing Village and Wharf).
Sure, this is conditional upon more than one player using it as you only get the half of them when the other player(s) are playing this card.
This is important; you should keep in mind that some of us are playing Dominion with 3 players and in this case it becomes easier to actually use the Treasure strategy for the passive players.

Of course you are totally right that such a powerful village makes it easy to play terminals.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 04:56:08 pm »

I didn't really think about multiplayer as much. Hrm.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.