Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Looking for the edge-case-police: Lost Cities on gain  (Read 1889 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Looking for the edge-case-police: Lost Cities on gain
« on: October 22, 2016, 05:18:32 pm »

Lost City lets your opponents draw a card with its on-gain ability.
Technically speaking you have to pick the order between this one and any other on-gain abilities that might arise.
(For example, a watchtower in your hand)

Of course with the watchtower it doesn't matter at all and the choice is utterly irrelevant.
But is there any edge case where you could want to make that choice?
Or is an online client where this on-gain is always-first or always-last preferable?
Join the Dominion League!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the edge-case-police: Lost Cities on gain
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 05:32:05 pm »

Possession jumps to mind. If A possesses B, A gains a card that happened during the "possessing B" turn. This causes B to draw at the same time A would react with say Watchtower. A would want to know if B is going to draw something like Swindler or not before revealing Watchtower. Maybe A knows they have a Thief on the deck so Swindler played by possessed B would be beneficial. So that's the always first case. lemme see if I can think of a last case to go along with that.

My instinct says always first is preferred, because the only general purpose when gain triggers are either topdeck or gain more (or Landmark stuff), and in Possession situations you always want to know that information of the draw card first.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:36:25 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 06:28:06 pm »
+1

I suppose it will make a difference when the opponent's draw deck is empty and you'd prefer them to shuffle before/after you do another effect, perhaps gaining a curse from an IGG.

I guess there may also be some odd talisman+messenger situations where you want to gain your copies before your opponents.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 07:25:02 pm »

I suppose it will make a difference when the opponent's draw deck is empty and you'd prefer them to shuffle before/after you do another effect, perhaps gaining a curse from an IGG.

I guess there may also be some odd talisman+messenger situations where you want to gain your copies before your opponents.

But if you're gaining the Lost City, then you're not gaining the IGG, unless I'm missing something?

The Talisman+Messenger interaction is right, but (just to make it right-er) they are "on buy" effects.

Who will police the edge-case police?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 12:23:50 am »
+6

Your opponent is losing by 5 points with 1 Province left. He has 4 or more Stashes in his discard and an empty draw pile. You have Watchtower and some Market Squares in hand. Tomb is in the game. Or Palace. Or Feodum and Trader. Some way that trashing your Lost City to gain a bunch of gold will score you points.

You want your opponent to draw before revealing your Watchtower, so that he has to place his Stashes without knowing that you can get more points. He'd quite possibly put 4 Stashes on top with plans to buy the Province for the win. But if he knows he's going to be down by more than a Province, he'll bury his Stashes in hopes for something better from his engine.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.