Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mayhem Werewolf Edition (Sign up thread)  (Read 2355 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Mayhem Werewolf Edition (Sign up thread)
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:58:37 am »

The Mayhem Werewolf Edition

This is similar to the game ‘mafia’ that seems to be very popular on this board. However, this is not mafia, it’s werewolf. It’s the game on which ‘one night ultimate werewolf’ is based on, but, however, it’s different in several aspects, as you can see below.

This is a post to explain the basic rules and roles. There is no limit on the amount of people that can participate in this, so sign up as you wish. The more, the merrier!

Prepatory fase: Everyone posts a description of his persona here that is at least 100 words. You describe who you are in the village. Are you the butcher, the baker or the candlestick maker? The hermit? The restaurant owner? Feel free to be creative. Please don’t make up other names, although fun, it just gets confusing after a while. So if you are AdrianHealey on this forum, use AdrianHealey as your in game name. The character neds tob e human and have sufficient mental capacities to function in normal society (so everything between 12 years old and non-demented elderly person.) This text is necessary because every night, when I announce the kill from the werewolves, there will be a longer text with subtle clues towards who the werewolves are. If you give yourself a longer tekst, it’s easier to find false clues (false positives), a shorter text will mean that clues might be clearer (less false negatives). Either way, a longer or a shorter text shouldn’t really give you a big advantage or disadvantage. Here is an example of what such a description could be:

‘AdrianHealey has been a researcher all his life, in search of (but mainly debunking of) the paranormal. He is a scientist through and through, and he has solved many odd phenomena, simply applying science tot he situation. There is always a logical explanation for what’s happening. He has done research on ghosts in germany and so called aliens in Norway. When he heard about the werewolves in the Village, he rented a room in a nearby hotel and started his investigation. Quickly he discovered that this proved to be the biggest challenge of all. He started arming himself to slaughter any werewolf he might encounter, to keep this phenomena hidden from the general public. His reputation as a researcher was at stake! When he wasn’t doing sciency stuff, he was easily found in the local inn, enjoying a nice ale and the company of many a person.’

The roles that you will have (you will always have at least one active role and may or maybe not a passive role) (see a complete list of all possible roles below) will be randomly distributed across everyone. (I will use dices to decide who gets what.) I will only intervene a little bit if one team, based on the roles they get, will be completely overpowered.

Every player will get a role from the gamemaster (me) at the start of the game. There are two basic teams: civilians and werewolves. The aim of the game is to kill the other group. (Werewolves want to kill civilians. Civilians want to kill werewolves.)

The game itself has two fases:

(1)   Days
(2)   Nights

(Again, similarly as mafia.)

During the days,
1)   people discuss to find out who is a werewolf. At the end of the day, people vote. In the evening, the person who gets the most votes will be lynched. When you are lynched, you die. Your role (both passive and active) will be announced at that point. (Unless you are a werewolf, than you can make up stuff that will be announced. This is because it could be that you are resurrected, so don’t leave the game immediately just yet! It’s not until you are completely and utterly dead (with no chance of resurrection) that it is announced that you were a werewolf if you were one.
2)   When there is a tie in votes, the mayor gets the deciding vote. (And the mayor can choose between everyone, not just the people between who the tie is.)
3)   If you vote, you do this with a post that says exclusively: ‘Official vote: name victim’. For example: ‘Official vote: AdrianHealey’.
4)   You can vote whenever you want, but in general: it’s better to vote later in the day than earlier in the day.
5)   Everyone has to vote. If you don’t vote: the first time, you get a penalty vote against you in the next election. The second time you don’t vote, you die immediately.
6)   You have to participate in the discussions. People who don’t discuss enough and/or don’t post enough, can get a penalty vote. This will be decided subjectively by me and will be announced in this topic. I will start with a warning. No protest is possible.
7)   You can not edit posts. I repeat: you can not edit posts. If you do, you can get a penalty vote.

During the nights
(1)   During the night, the village is ‘asleep’ and there will be some special roles that you can do something during the night. The most important one is: the werewolves decide who they want to kill.
(2)   During the night, everyone with a special role will send a message to me:
-   The werewolves send to me who they want to kill. This is one message, talk among each other first and one person sends me the message (this is important that only one specific werewolf sends me the message).
-   All the other special roles also send me a message, related to their role. What this is, you’ll see further down the line.
-   We use the pm system on this forum to send me messages.
(3)   Everytime someone dies because of the werewolves, the next day starts with a description in which you can find several tips that point towards one or more wolves. The role of the victim will also be announced at this moment (but again: you aren’t definitely dead unless you have been dead for more than one night.) To start the game, the first night, the game leader will be killed, with already a few clues hinting towards one or more werewolves. (If I say, put in 7 tips, at least 4 of them will point towards one or more werewolves. Some tips might also be diversions. And maybe some tips aren’t meant as tips but are interpreted that way. This happens.)
(4)   The game ends:
a.   When there are only werewolves left (werewolves win)
b.   When there are only civilians left (civilians win)
c.   When only the loved ones remain (love trumps all)
d.   Some roles (such as the suicidal maniac) have specific winconditions that can cause that role to win independent of which team wins

(5)   Some important rules:
a.   Please stay active during the game. If people don’t participate in an active fashion, it causes the game to be imbalanced.
b.   The moment the current day finishes will be announced in the topic titel. (I will USE CET, because, well, I live in Europe.) Sorry American and other continents friends!) I will always use 23:59 kind of ways to tell the exact time, to avoid any confusions.
c.   Again: don’t edit posts, not even for simple grammar mistakes.
d.   You can communicate with each other outside this thread. You can collaborate all you want. There is no way you can trust others. The only thing that is absolutely prohibited, is sending screenshots towards others. I mean, I know the temptation is there, but please, just don’t.
e.   People who are dead can no longer participate in the discussion. I am sorry.
f. Information will be given to characters in due time. (For example: if the wolves attack the cursed one, they don't realize this until the next night *after* they have send me who they want to kill, not immediately when they have attacked the cursed one.)

The roles.
In this game, everyone will have an active role that does something. Some of you (or maybe all of you will also have a passive role.) Any of the roles can below can be one or more person (unless specifically mentioned). So feel free to claim you are a certain role, without fear that someone else has that role too: this is possible. You (nor I) know in advance how many roles of each of these there will be (0 is also possible). I only check wether or not it’s somewhat balanced. Some roles are stronger than others. When you die, you loose your active and passive role. When you come back from the dead, you are just a villager or just a werewolf.

Active roles for civilians:
(1)   Magician: the magician points towards one person every night. That person has, unknowingly to himself, two votes during the voting procedure of the following day. The magician can thus make someone he or she trusts have more weight during the voting procedure.
(2)   Witch: the witch may point towards 2 people every night. Those people loose their active ability during the night and day. (They keep their passive ability.) They do not know this happened. If there are two witches who point at each other, the with that send me first ‘wins’ the battle. If the witch points towards the werewolf that send me the kill, the kill does not happen. The wolf is stopped in his/her path.
(3)   Seer: the seer can point towards 3 people every night. The game master lets you know if any of them is a werewolf. (If the witch points towards the seer, the answer is always that the seer’s vision is clouded and thus that no information can be given.)
(4)   Hunter: when you die, you can take someone with you. If you die because the villagers kill you, you can take someone with you who voted for you. If you die because the werewolves killed you, you can kill one of them. (This will be decided at random.)
(5)   Guardian angel: the guardian angel casts a protection spell on someone. The next time that person is killed (by villagers, by suicide, by wolves, etc.) that person does not die and the magical power is revealed. This effect can only be cast one per person; the same person can not be pointed towards twice by the guardian angel. The guardian angel can choose not to use his/her power during the night, if he/she doesn’t trust anyone. This effect lasts until the first time the person is killed. So if the guardian angel stays alive a long time, it could be that multiple people need to be killed twice before they actually die.
(6)   Mason, if there is one mason, there are (at least) two masons. The masons can not tell anyone else about their power, and if they reveal this or hint towards this, their code of honor tells them to commit suicide instantly (and if they are protected by the guardian angel, they will keep trying to commit suicide until they are dead. The gamemaster decides wether or not they violated their sacred oath.) The masons know each other and know that they can be trusted. They also know each others passive ability, if they have any. Because the masons share everything with each other.
(7)   Necromancer: the necromancer can retrieve 1 person during the night from the dead. (Usually, two people die since the last night: the necromancer can only retrieve one of them.) People who have been killed are touched by black magic and can not be protected by the guardian angel. This is why it’s important that if a werewolf dies, his identity as a werewolf is not acknowledge until the next night (after which the necromancer can no longer retrieve him/her from the death.)
(8)   Aura-seer: the aura-seer points towards three people at night and will get to hear their passive abilities (if any). The aura-seer will not be informed which person has which passive ability, though. If only one person, for example, has a passive ability, the aura-seer will be informed about that one, but again: will not be informed who has it.

Active roles for werewolves:
(1)   Mystic wolf: the mystic wolf is the seer for the werewolves. He can point to as many people as he wants and says an active role. The gamemaster will inform the mystic role if one of those people has those active roles (either villagers or werewolves can be researched by the mystic wolf).
(2)   Sleeping wolf: he does not know the other wolves (and the other wolves don’t know him). When the wolves attack him, they’ll discover he is a wolf too and cease the attack, but they do not wake him. (It could also be that they see the wolfman…) If a wolf dies, the sleeping wolf discovers the currently remaining wolves.
(3)   Lonewolf: the lonewolf only wins if he is the last surviving wolf. The lone wolf only wins when he wins alone.
(4)   Big Bad Wolf: when the big bad wolf dies, he doesn’t go down without a fight. He can take a villager with him in death. This does reveal his identity as the big bad wolf.
(5)   Contagious wolf: the contagious wolf can bring back a dead person and make him into an additional wolf.

Passive roles (some of these are either for werewolves or villagers or both):
(1)   Mayor. The major has the deciding vote. The major is chosen randomly by the gamemaster every night (throwing a die). The major can decide between anyone in case of a tie, including someone who wasn’t accussed. The major does have to do this publicly. (This role is open for wolves and villagers.)
(2)   Cursed: when the cursed is killed by the werewolves, the wolves become so sick they can not attack anyone during the next night. (They don’t notice this untill the next night.) (This role is only for villagers.)
(3)   Wolfman: you are so ugly that if the wolves attack you, they think are one of them and stop the attack. However, the seer will see you as if you were a wolf. (This role is only for villagers.)
(4)   Loved ones: they know each other, but they don’t know each other roles. (This role is open for villagers and wolves, but never 2 wolves.)
(5)   Prince: when the prince is killed by the village, he announces himself as the prince. They recognize him and he keeps on living. (Only for vilagers.)
(6)   Pacifict: the pacifist kills himself when the person he voted for dies in the lynching. (For wolves and villagers.)
(7)   Tough guy: when you are attacked by werewolves, you keep on surviving one additional day, until when you die of your wounds. (Only for villagers.)
(8)   Suicidal maniac: you want to commit suicide by being hanged by the village. You win the game when you are killed by the villagers. (The game continues on after that.) You loose if you are still alive at the end of the game.
(9)   Wolf cub: when the wolf cub is killed, the wolves are so angry that they want to kill two villagers during the day. (Cursed overrules this.)
(10)   Fortune teller: when the fortune teller is named (by witch, auraseer, seer, guardian angel, magician, mystic wolf) the fortune teller is informed by which role and by whom he is named.  (For villagers and werewolves) You are informed of this during the day.
(11)   Handsome wolf: you are wolf, but the seer sees you as a villager. (Only for wolves.)

When there is any doubt, the game master decides the course of action. If there is anything unclear or dubious, let me know. Please sign up below.

Roles will be decided by throwing d8 dices and d6 dices, for whatever is appropriate. Everyone will have an equal chance to get any specific role. I will only intervene if one team gets too strong. For example: if there are three werewolves, and all of them are mystic wolves and the villages is entirely aura-seeers or whatever, I'll probably adjust a bit.

If you sign up, please also create a character soonish. (You can sign up without creating a character, but please do so soonish.)

When the game starts, I will make a new post where I'll reserve the first few posts for updates throughout the game, so people can be up to speed. (Including all the characters in the first post, etc.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:47:51 am by AdrianHealey »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Mayhem Werewolf Edition (Sign up thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:03:19 am »

Fwiw: I am relatively experienced gamer, but I usually do it on facebook with friends. I have just transplanted the game we designed there to this forum for more testing. :)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:16:44 am »

I'm really interested. Read all this, will be willing to participate
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:23:16 am »

I'm really interested. Read all this, will be willing to participate
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 11:23:47 am »

Thanks for the confidence! Feel free to attract other participants! :)

We recently played it with 9 participants. Although that was fun, it really is: the more, the merrier.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:36:32 am by AdrianHealey »

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:16:06 pm »

Thanks for the confidence! Feel free to attract other participants! :)

We recently played it with 9 participants. Although that was fun, it really is: the more, the merrier.

Uh oh. Actually lately there is a problem to get 9 people to mafia games :(

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 12:20:00 pm »

We need to force people.

Either way, it also works for less people. But roles such as big bad wolf are excluded when there too few people. No worries, we can balance it either way. :)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:26:45 pm »

I just want to point out that this is, in fact, a game of mafia.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 01:30:48 pm »

Here's the Jester, so that a bastard mafia or just another game.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »

Question: Do the werewolves get to speak to each other at night?

If so, I recommend using Quicktopic.

But /in
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 02:26:50 pm »

Question: Do the werewolves get to speak to each other at night?

If so, I recommend using Quicktopic.

But /in

Yes, everyone is allowed to talk to everyone. Wolves know of each other who is who. Except the sleeping wolf.  Wolves don'5 know the specific wolve role of others.    I am ok with using quiktopic or any other means.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:29:36 pm by AdrianHealey »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 02:28:11 pm »

I'd say mafia is a game of werewolf. But who is counting? ;)

Are you playing? :)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 03:37:20 pm »

I'd say mafia is a game of werewolf. But who is counting? ;)

Are you playing? :)

Not playing, no.

Mafia is WW is Mafia.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 03:50:45 pm »

You should!

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 05:41:33 pm »

I agree, can this be moved to the appropriate forum?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 07:24:47 am »

3 people so far. Pretty sure there is room for more!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 01:40:28 am »

ah, no, I dont have time. Sorry /out
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 19 queries.