Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 17513 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 10:32:53 am »
+2

Anyway, the list of games we'll be buying right away:
Since you're playing with someone else, the other game I recommend is Overcooked 2.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:51 am »
+1

Since you're playing with someone else, the other game I recommend is Overcooked 2.

Cool, got it.

Also got Celeste.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 04:14:27 pm »
+1

I don't yet know how large the Link's Awakening download will be. Mostly the decision will come down to where I can get the best deal. And damn I'm willing to wait, since I've already played this game multiple times over the years and they're charging $60 for it. $60! Also Amazon pre-orders are already sold out both on the game and the amiibo.

I was surprised by the "full price" for an old game at first, but a friend reminded me that it's not just a port... the remake part of it means it basically would require a full ground-up development; so it's basically a brand new game. Still obviously not the scale of BOTW for the same price though. But it also has this dungeon builder thing...

Anyway, apparently they added Link's Awakening to the list of "voucher" games. So you can get it for $50 if you have an even number of games that you want.

Got my Switch an hour ago. Got it all set up; buying the stuff I want, etc.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2019, 05:07:41 am »

hey guys, I'm here for advice. I just got money to buy one game of my choice to Switch. I am torn between BotW, Skyrim and Binding of Isaac. Points are:

1) I've never played a single game of Zelda series (except Link to the past very long ago). I love RPGs though.
2) I've never played and Elder Scrolls games (except Morrowind very long ago). Again, I love RPGs and of course I've heard a lot about Skyrim.
3) I played BoI and I love it, so it definitely would be cool, but I play it on my computer, so do I really need it?

Also are there some other really cool options? Maybe two cool games for the price of one Skyrim. I am looking for highly replayable game, as I can't afford a lot of games. Basically the game I will buy now will be with me for 2 months before I can afford another one.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2019, 09:22:56 am »
+2

Well I don't know anything about Skyrim or Binding of Isaac. But I can tell you that BotW was the best experience I've ever had playing a video game. I spent over 250 hours playing it through the first time; which is far longer than I've spent on any other game. From the moment I first started playing it, until I was done doing every possible thing you could do in the game, I was hooked.

I don't think it really matters if you are a Zelda fan in general. This game plays nothing like any other Zelda game. Although a lot of the world-building does draw from all of the other games. So there's plenty of places you can find around the world that are references to things you wouldn't get.

I didn't say "my favorite video game of all time" because now that I've fully 100% completed the game, it doesn't make me want to go back and play it again over and over. This is because the best parts were discovering new things, going to places I hadn't been, etc. I did play it a second time to try out the hard mode, and that was a lot of fun too.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2019, 01:59:43 pm »
+4

For me an RPG has four things to potentially offer: exploration, building up your guy, combat, and the story.

Skyrim:
- exploration - great. This is what they excel at.
- building up your guy - mediocre. They did way better with Fallout 4.
- combat - bad. Click click. Fallout 4 is again an improvement.
- story - man whatever. There are little nice elements; the broad strokes have no appeal.

BotW:
- exploration - great. A key innovation of this game is the sense of freedom in your environment that you have. There's a mountain; you can climb it and then jump off the top and glide away.
- building up your guy - it's not really an element. You improve in two stats and can slowly collect and upgrade armor. But you know, there's only one path; it's not like "I'll try a thief build."
- combat - great. It's the best combat I've seen in a 3-D RPG.
- story - they try a lot harder than Skyrim does but it didn't suck me in.

I had a lot of fun with both games, and have replayed both. Skyrim was fun to explore again despite the negatives. There's some fun in building up a guy even when the system isn't so great.

BotW though, that's a game that will improve the genre, as people imitate it.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »
+6

Got myself BotW. Thanks for the tips!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2019, 10:46:56 am »

Stuff I've been playing... Not a bunch yet because we were still finishing up a game for the Wii U before moving on.

But when I have a chance I've been playing Smash Ultimate, specifically World of Light. It's a fun mode where different battles offer different challenges. And a huge map to explore, with lots of stuff to unlock. I haven't played any other mode at all yet; I'll probably end up unlocking all characters through World of Light. Except the couple that showed up to challenge me when exiting World of Light.

For 2 player stuff, we started Unravel 2. I never played Unravel, though I had seen it. For the most part the puzzles and platforming are very simple. But it has a great atmosphere; and it's really good for 2 players because of the forced cooperation.

Also, I've played Smash for about 22 hours total now... and never once charged my Pro Controller since I originally fully charged it. That's crazy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2019, 11:01:04 am »

So I got this; played it a couple times with some friends at 4 player and had fun. Last night started 2 player with my wife, with the plan of beating the whole thing.

This is fun and challenging. It's better at 4 player for sure. It can be quite frustrating at times; especially if you get stuck on a level.

Outside of the levels themselves; the game has some weird and confusing things. For one, it takes a VERY long time to start the game from the Switch menu. Far longer than it takes to load other, "bigger" games like Mario Odyssey. There's a bunch of different game modes which I haven't looked at; I only really care about story mode. But the menu is confusing there. Setting your player count seems to require having the right number of controllers connected when you start the software. If you want to add or remove players, as far as I can tell you have to close and re-open the software; which is a pain. And when you have multiple players on one console, all players get the same name on your team; the name of the account that the Switch is running under. That's just super confusing. Then you have options to either "continue" or "load" a game. I guess "continue" just means "load" and automatically load the most recently used save file. Weird though.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2019, 12:16:22 pm »
+1

Outside of the levels themselves; the game has some weird and confusing things. For one, it takes a VERY long time to start the game from the Switch menu. Far longer than it takes to load other, "bigger" games like Mario Odyssey. There's a bunch of different game modes which I haven't looked at; I only really care about story mode. But the menu is confusing there. Setting your player count seems to require having the right number of controllers connected when you start the software. If you want to add or remove players, as far as I can tell you have to close and re-open the software; which is a pain. And when you have multiple players on one console, all players get the same name on your team; the name of the account that the Switch is running under. That's just super confusing. Then you have options to either "continue" or "load" a game. I guess "continue" just means "load" and automatically load the most recently used save file. Weird though.
"Extras" gets you to DLC (Surf 'n' Turf was fun but quite hard) and also to Seasonal Content, which is some free extra levels that at this point will already be there. The Chinese New Year ones are especially good.

"Continue" is to continue the story mode game you were playing; "load" is to load a different one.

I think you can change the player count by uh tabbing out to the Switch menu, going to change controllers, then go back in. But yes they blew it there.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.