Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 17511 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 11:33:56 am »
+4

I also haven't played many open-world games. So to me it feels like Breath of the Wild combines the best parts of:

• A Zelda game
• Minecraft (minus the building)
• A physics simulator

What I'm doing now (no plot spoilers, but spoilers as to some of the things in the game):

So after the Great Plateau I headed east first, as the game suggests. I'm just west of the Dueling Peaks, in the area fenced off by the Hylia and Squabble rivers. In part of this area, there are bokoblins on horseback. I killed a few and tamed one of the horses. Did you know horses will eat apples out of your hands? Anyway.

I love my horse. But I eventually realized that I can't easily get it from where we are to the road I want to be on. There are rivers on two sides and steep cliffs on the third. The rivers are apparently too deep for the horse to ford. So now I have a self-imposed puzzle: how do I get my horse across one of these rivers? So far I have learned the following:

• Horses will not step onto rafts.
• It only takes two octo-balloons to turn a raft into an "air-raft".
• It's difficult to place octo-balloons on a raft in such a manner as to keep the raft mostly horizontal. You need to use Stasis on the raft to even have a shot at it. (I fell off of mine.)
• An air-raft's sail really catches the wind! Even when it's basically sideways.
• Octo-balloons eventually pop.
• A raft that plummets sideways into a lake capsizes.

• You cannot attach octo-balloons directly to a horse.

This game is amazing.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 05:59:29 pm »
+1

I'm a bit concerned about how much I'll like BotW.... in spite of almost all perfectly positive reviews. The openness and limitless potential of things to do and stuff to collect makes it feel like it might be one of those games that never ends; you just keep playing until you get sick of it. I like games that I can complete; and complete having done 100%. It's unclear right now if BotW will have a concept of "100%"... obviously you can't get every weapon in the game. But perhaps you can still get to a max health and max stamina; can complete all the shrines and dungeons; and assuming that there's items other than the random weapon drops, can get all the upgrades/items.

I am also a video game completionist, or at least I was. These days I don't have enough free time to 100% the larger games I play. As a result I've drifted away from the big-ticket JRPGs I used to love, and I've never even tried an American RPG (like Dragon Age or what-have-you). I do still 100% other, smaller games I really love, like Guacamelee and Shovel Knight.

As a recovering completionist, I love Breath of the Wild, even though I know I'll probably never find everything. My advice to you is to create parameters for what you consider 100%. I think finding and completing all the shrines (and getting all their treasure; you can tell on the map if you've found every chest in a shrine) is a totally reasonable goal. I think there 120 such shrines. Finding all the Korok seeds seems less achievable without a guide of some sort; I've heard there are somewhere around 900 of them. I've found 9 shrines and 30 seeds so far, after three evenings of play (maybe about 15 hours).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 06:01:31 pm »

Man, speaking of, the one reason I really wish I had a Switch right now is Specter of Torment, the latest Shovel Knight campaign. It was released on the Switch on March 3, and other platforms aren't getting it until April.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 06:29:04 pm »
+2

I got the Nintendo Switch. Breath of the Wild is eating up a whole lot of my time right now. It's so great.

I play for hours and barely advance the plot, I always notice something in the distant horizon and decide to explore it. I've wandered into areas I'm not prepared for probably a dozen times. Lots of dying.

Just today I stumbled across a shrine by the seaside cliffs (which are gorgeous). The monsters inside were too tough though. I then flew to an island off the coast and found a shrine that was even harder. I didn't even attempt it. I then sailed out to a further island where a spirit stole all my gear and I died. It was an hour-long adventure into futility. Boy was it fun, though!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 04:43:06 pm »

I am really digging this more realistic take on Zelda. And I don't mean "realistic" as in totally devoid of fantasy or as in a perfect representation of real-world physics. But a lot of things make more sense than in previous Zelda games. There's the basic stuff like, you don't find hearts and rupees lying around. If you want to heal, you eat food. If you want money, you either seek out hidden treasure or you sell things. But my favorite example right now is octoroks. In previous 3D Zelda games, when an octorok shot a rock at you, it traveled slowly in a straight line toward you. You could get your shield out and reflect the rock back. In Breath of the Wild, those rocks move realistically, which means octoroks launch them in an arc, and they launch them fast. You better have your shield out or be ready to dodge before they fire that rock.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 11:51:12 am »

I'm watching a couple LPs and the only criticisms/questions I have are: 1) why do all the weapons break so damn fast?/are there weapons that don't break? and 2) are there long maze-like dungeons in this game like previous Zeldas? Or just those little super easy shrines?

EDIT: I'm guessing a weapon that wouldn't break would be the master sword, which was in one of the trailers. So that's something.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:59:12 am by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 12:19:02 pm »

I'm watching a couple LPs and the only criticisms/questions I have are: 1) why do all the weapons break so damn fast?/are there weapons that don't break? and 2) are there long maze-like dungeons in this game like previous Zeldas? Or just those little super easy shrines?

EDIT: I'm guessing a weapon that wouldn't break would be the master sword, which was in one of the trailers. So that's something.

I haven't gotten very far, but:

1. Because you get a ton of weapons. I think it's a refreshing change to have to manage your weapons, with the caveat that I'm very glad you can add more inventory slots as the game progresses. Admittedly it is hard for me to know when to pull out the big guns, especially now that I have stuff like the flame blade, which creates an arc of fire when you swing it.

2. I have read that there are actual large dungeons (I believe four of them?), but that they are not really like dungeons from previous Zelda games. So I guess the answer to your question is, no it's not just the little shrines. Honestly each shrine is like a (monster-less) room or two of a dungeon in a normal Zelda game, so it's not like you're getting cheated out of puzzles.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:20:29 pm by LastFootnote »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 12:48:59 pm »
+1

Honestly each shrine is like a (monster-less) room or two of a dungeon in a normal Zelda game

Oh, if only.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 04:26:06 pm »

are there weapons that don't break?

I'm not playing it, but I'm pretty sure the Master Sword doesn't break.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 05:03:47 pm »

I haven't played any of the actual dungeons yet, but I've seen my brother doing them, and they're ridiculous.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 03:23:20 pm »

Still watching BoTW. What has blown me away more than anything is how beautiful the world is. When Link walks into that really snowy part I think in the north, I was just staring at the screen in disbelief. Same with the Gerudo desert and the lost woods. It's just so cool to finally see Link in the this type of world, it fits so well and is so well done.

The dungeons are underwhelming. I think they should've kept some aspects from traditional Zelda dungeons with enemies and puzzles and minibosses. Instead you're just turning things at different angles and seeking out terminals. All the dungeon bosses are pretty much the same and seem to be really easy too. The shrines are ok except for the feats of strength or whatever. Again, they're pretty much all the same. The idea of also making them fast travel locations is great though.

The guy I'm watching seems to be sticking to the main quest, doing shrines, and collecting memories. I want to see more sidequests though. I think the main quest might be the least interesting part of this game, honestly.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2017, 11:39:57 pm »
+1

So, my brother and I decided to play Zelda with him having the left joycon and me having the right joycon.  It's actually worked surprisingly well.  We've been exploring the world so much we're about to get the Master Sword without having completed any Divine Beasts.  We also killed a Guardian with only seven hearts!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:38 am »

We just bought an external hard drive, which was the first step in actually being able to buy BotW. Next step is beating Phantom Hourglass, which we're almost done with. Might have BotW by this weekend (for Wii U).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 06:19:59 pm »

So I have Breath of the Wild now. Won't get to play it until tomorrow, though. I'm trying to figure out the best way to play it in terms of the controls. From what I hear, the Switch Pro Controller is the best option, and although the Wii U Pro Controller is pretty much the same thing; it lacks any motion controls. This means that I have to choose between the comfort of the Pro Controller, and the motion advantages of the Gamepad. From what I hear, certain parts actually require motion controls, so even if you use the Pro Controller, you have to switch to the Gamepad for some parts.

Anyone out there playing BotW for Wii U?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 06:26:05 pm »
+2

So I have Breath of the Wild now. Won't get to play it until tomorrow, though. I'm trying to figure out the best way to play it in terms of the controls. From what I hear, the Switch Pro Controller is the best option, and although the Wii U Pro Controller is pretty much the same thing; it lacks any motion controls. This means that I have to choose between the comfort of the Pro Controller, and the motion advantages of the Gamepad. From what I hear, certain parts actually require motion controls, so even if you use the Pro Controller, you have to switch to the Gamepad for some parts.

I am. After trying both controllers, I'm using the gamepad. The motion controls are extremely useful.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 07:36:22 pm »
+4

I am, with the gamepad; I have not tried anything else, not knowing that was even an option, but have no complaints there. Well there are a million controls on the gamepad and they use them all and uh there are too many controls on the gamepad. I especially don't like ZL and ZR because sometimes they are pressed when I'm just setting the gamepad down. I don't like that you can push in the knobs, that that's a thing a game can use. Anyway I have nothing relevant to say but yes, I am playing it. It's good times.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 12:09:13 am »

I especially don't like ZL and ZR because sometimes they are pressed when I'm just setting the gamepad down.

This is especially annoying when playing virtual console games; where the ZR button brings up the virtual console menu; thus pausing the game in a way that takes at least a few seconds to un-pause.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2017, 01:22:16 pm »

Ok, started it last night. Only got a couple hours in... great so far.

One question for LastFootnote and Donald (and any other Wii U players).... To you have a problem with the flashing "click here to play on the Gamepad screen" on the Gamepad? It was driving me nuts... no option to turn it off either within the Zelda game or in the Wii U system settings. I looked it up, and apparently it's a pretty common complaint. I just don't understand at all what Nintendo was thinking with that one. How did that not bother any of the testers turning development? I suppose it might be worse for me because I play in out theater room, with the lights turned off. But still... how hard is it to have a simple option to turn off the screen? For now, we have covered the screen with Post-it notes to deal with it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2017, 09:07:04 pm »

One question for LastFootnote and Donald (and any other Wii U players).... To you have a problem with the flashing "click here to play on the Gamepad screen" on the Gamepad? It was driving me nuts... no option to turn it off either within the Zelda game or in the Wii U system settings. I looked it up, and apparently it's a pretty common complaint. I just don't understand at all what Nintendo was thinking with that one. How did that not bother any of the testers turning development? I suppose it might be worse for me because I play in out theater room, with the lights turned off. But still... how hard is it to have a simple option to turn off the screen? For now, we have covered the screen with Post-it notes to deal with it.
When I'm playing by myself, I just use the gamepad with the TV off. When the girls are watching, I use the TV, and well the gamepad thing isn't all that annoying. Maybe I notice it a little. I'm guessing they're trying to avoid burning in the image? I don't know if that's still a thing.

It sucks that it's yet another game that doesn't try to get any use out of having two screens. It was a gimmick of the system; no-one wanted to support it because versions on other systems wouldn't have that; now Nintendo doesn't even support it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:34 pm »

When I'm playing by myself, I just use the gamepad with the TV off. When the girls are watching, I use the TV, and well the gamepad thing isn't all that annoying. Maybe I notice it a little. I'm guessing they're trying to avoid burning in the image? I don't know if that's still a thing.

It sucks that it's yet another game that doesn't try to get any use out of having two screens. It was a gimmick of the system; no-one wanted to support it because versions on other systems wouldn't have that; now Nintendo doesn't even support it.

Yeah a lot of Wii U owners are upset by the lack of dual screen support. The thing is, the game was originally demo'd as a Wii U game, where dual screen support was a part of the game play. Then when it got delayed so much that it was coming to the switch as they took out that functionality so that it would be the same on Switch and Wii U. Because no one would buy a Switch if the Wii U version was better.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 02:49:05 pm »

BUMP.

So yeah, ordered a Switch because Mario Maker 2 is coming. It should arrive Friday.

Lucky timing; Nintendo is having a pretty good eShop sale: https://e3.nintendo.com/sale/.

The only bad thing about the timing is that we just bought a Mario+Rabbids cartridge because it was a great deal... just not quite as great as this sudden sale.

We plan to pretty much only get digital downloads; don't want to bother switching out cartridges. Anyway, the list of games we'll be buying right away:

• Mario Maker 2 - Technically won't have it for a couple weeks after I have the Switch. But getting it with the "2 for $100" deal. Literally the reason we bought a Switch now.
  • Mario+Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Smash Ultimate - The other "2 for $100".
  • Cuphead
  • Baba is You
  • Undertale
  • Final Fantasy X+X2
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Unravel Two
  • Link's Awakening - Not available for a couple months; but we'll get it when it is.
  • BOTW Sequel - Obviously. Probably more than a year out.
  • Probably the main Labo kit also. Seems like a fun activity to do together.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:50:52 pm by GendoIkari »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 02:53:37 pm »

I especially don't like ZL and ZR because sometimes they are pressed when I'm just setting the gamepad down.

This is especially annoying when playing virtual console games; where the ZR button brings up the virtual console menu; thus pausing the game in a way that takes at least a few seconds to un-pause.

2 years later, this is still a huge complaint for me... in almost any game; I've been frequently accidentally hitting ZL or ZR.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 03:50:39 pm »

2 years later, this is still a huge complaint for me... in almost any game; I've been frequently accidentally hitting ZL or ZR.

My brother found a way to change the controls and disabled that.  Don't know what he did, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 04:52:43 pm »

Don't know what he did, though.

I do! He found a way to change the controls and disabled that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 05:31:16 pm »

BUMP.

So yeah, ordered a Switch because Mario Maker 2 is coming. It should arrive Friday.

Lucky timing; Nintendo is having a pretty good eShop sale: https://e3.nintendo.com/sale/.

The only bad thing about the timing is that we just bought a Mario+Rabbids cartridge because it was a great deal... just not quite as great as this sudden sale.

We plan to pretty much only get digital downloads; don't want to bother switching out cartridges. Anyway, the list of games we'll be buying right away:

With few exceptions, I buy a Switch game physically if 1) it takes up a lot of space, 2) it's single-player, and 3) I'm going to play it once and then not go back to it for a while, if ever. So for your list, this is how I'd split it:

• Mario Maker 2 (Digital - I'll be going back to it constantly)
  • Mario+Rabbids (Physical)
  • Mario Odyssey (Physical)
  • Smash Ultimate (Digital, it's primarily multiplayer and also I always want access to the music player)
  • Cuphead (Digital, no choice)
  • Baba is You (Digital, small, no choice)
  • Undertale (Digital, small)
  • Final Fantasy X+X2 (Physical)
  • Cadence of Hyrule (Digital, no choice)
  • Unravel Two (Digital, no choice as far as I know)

I don't yet know how large the Link's Awakening download will be. Mostly the decision will come down to where I can get the best deal. And damn I'm willing to wait, since I've already played this game multiple times over the years and they're charging $60 for it. $60! Also Amazon pre-orders are already sold out both on the game and the amiibo.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:33:25 pm by LastFootnote »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.