Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 17509 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Nintendo Switch
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:12 pm »
+2

Surprised there isn't already a topic about it.

It looks pretty much like what I was expecting, for the most part, based on speculation from the patents Nintendo filed. A home console that can be undocked and used as a handheld, running on cartridges rather than disks. Nintendo Switch is a decent name, much better than Wii U and better than Wii. And some of the games teased in the trailer look cool - we have a new Splatoon, a new 3D Mario, a new Mario Kart, some kind of Elder Scrolls knockoff and a Basketball game - plus Zelda, of course.

I'll put my detailed thoughts from the trailer below. Just things I spotted and whatnot.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:45 pm »
+1

0:26 I see two USB ports on the front, not much else. Probably more at the back, plus other connections.

0:30 The controller layout looks pretty basic. It... has four direction buttons on the left rather than a standard d-pad. I dunno how I feel about that. It also looks in other shots like there's a tiny d-pad in the top right but that might just be a connector of some sort, or the + button. Right side has the analog stick at the bottom, which... ehh, I guess that's more 'normal' by PS/XB standards but I'm used to Wii U layout now. Maybe this is a sign they're going for familiarity for fans of other consoles and thus plan to compete with them more directly again? Or maybe just they found it more comfy.

0:40 Okay it's definitely a + and - 'button' at the top. Not sure how big the screen is exactly but I'd say it looks similar to the N3DSXL screen, judging by the guys hands?

0:42 There's at least two shoulder buttons judging by the action on screen and the right finger position. Probably R/ZR/L/ZL again. Also this means the console can probably play Wii U games - it has two screens and all the same buttons. It would require the screen to be a touch screen though, so... maybe this is wishful thinking?

0:48 (and other points) You can see the logo is just the controller's analogue stick layout, actually. So that's something.

0:55 Cards, pretty small, and they go in the screen unit (which connects to the main unit). Not much else to say about that I guess. Maybe they can also go into the main unit as well?

0:59 I see at least one and possible two buttons on the back, so maybe in addition to two shoulder buttons there's a third button on each side? Maybe a more niche button for some special purpose as it looks smaller?

1:08 Okay this bit is pretty awesome. Suddenly it's a tablet screen, and you can use the controller separately. Also this game looks interesting. Like an Elder Scrolls style first person RPG? I'm not really familar with those sort of games though.

1:11 So you can use the two controller bits separately, it looks like. Interesting. That means both are powered. I'm really seeing where this "Switch" name comes from, that's at least three or four different setups we've seen up to this point (TV + controller, handheld, Tablet like screen + controllers, and implicitly Tablet + controller).

1:23 Looks like a fixed controller, so yet another control scheme option. This one has a d-pad, four central buttons (which makes the theory there were extra buttons on the back seem more likely - we have +, - and two mystery ones now).

1:36 This is interesting. We obviously have Mario Kart, but... is it a new one? It looks very similar to MK8 to me.

1:41 It's not MK8, they have multiple items each. So new MK game confirmed? Also yet another way of playing, each player using one half controller - seems generally uncomfortable to me though.

2:03 It looks like this is demonstrating local connected play, which makes sense to have exist. Also shows another new game, a basketball one.

2:13 A new Mario game as well? Controller looks like the normal controller 'dock' one. Seems like this Mario may be similar to 3D World, but it's hard to tell.

2:47 SPLATOON! Except, this isn't Splatoon (Wii U), the stages look different. So Splat2n launch title looks pretty likely.

2:49 A closer look at the fixed controller. It has a home button, so that's one mystery button solved. The other I can't tell.

~3:00 This is really interesting. It's a big tournament game. Does that mean Nintendo's planning to go more competitive and/or support competitive more heavily? Splatoon was a game that had people begging for Nintendo to provide more competitive support after all, and this really seems to suggest that's something Nintendo is answering. I think this is the most unexpected thing in the whole trailer, to be honest, and it's GREAT.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »
+1

Mildly exciting stuff, for sure.

I'm guessing no WiiU/Wii/GameCube backwards compatibility, which is pretty disappointing. That little screen sure doesn't look like a touchscreen to me, and I saw nothing in the trailer about using both that screen and a TV simultaneously, nor about motion controls (or pressure-sensitive trigger buttons that would be necessary for GameCube games).

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:22:38 pm »
+1

Mildly exciting stuff, for sure.

I'm guessing no WiiU/Wii/GameCube backwards compatibility, which is pretty disappointing. That little screen sure doesn't look like a touchscreen to me, and I saw nothing in the trailer about using both that screen and a TV simultaneously, nor about motion controls (or pressure-sensitive trigger buttons that would be necessary for GameCube games).

I haven't seen the video yet, but what if they just let you connect a Wii U gamepad to play Wii U games?  They usually try to be one system backwards compatible.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:08:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure that elder scrolls looking game is a ported skyrim.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:58:56 pm »

I assumed backwards compatibility based on the fact that the video shows Wii U games being played...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:15:22 pm »
+1

I assumed backwards compatibility based on the fact that the video shows Wii U games being played...
There are no Wii U games in the video, at least as far as I can see.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 06:22:56 am »

That's not the new Zelda game for Wii U in the opening?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 10:57:24 am »

The new Zelda could have a simultaneous WiiU/Switch launch, like Twilight Princess on the Gamecube/Wii.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 10:59:57 am »
+1

The new Zelda could have a simultaneous WiiU/Switch launch, like Twilight Princess on the Gamecube/Wii.

In fact it was confirmed a while ago that it will.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 01:28:14 pm »

Splatoon? I guess it could have been a Switch sequel.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 01:53:42 pm »

Nintendo confirmed that it is not backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS.

It's interesting to me how un-gimmicky the gimmick is.  On the 3DS, there are a lot of game mechanics which seem to be there only to highlight the value of 2 screens, or the value of depth perception.  On the Wii U there are game mechanics involving looking down at the gamepad.  But what sort of game mechanic could make use of the fact that you can play at home or on the go?

Hard to imagine a Nintendo console without gimmicks.  Clearly the true gimmicks are yet to be revealed.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 02:30:20 pm »

Nintendo confirmed that it is not backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS.

Dang, this might be enough for me to just go ahead and get a Wii U. Unless it comes out that Zelda on Switch will somehow be way better than the same game on Wii U.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 04:22:24 pm »
+1

It is. The inklings shown in the trailer have hairstyles and clothes not available on the Wii U version, and there are no more updates coming for it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 04:26:13 pm »

It's interesting to me how un-gimmicky the gimmick is.  On the 3DS, there are a lot of game mechanics which seem to be there only to highlight the value of 2 screens, or the value of depth perception.  On the Wii U there are game mechanics involving looking down at the gamepad.  But what sort of game mechanic could make use of the fact that you can play at home or on the go?

Hard to imagine a Nintendo console without gimmicks.  Clearly the true gimmicks are yet to be revealed.

Well, it's possible that Nintendo is just sick of having so little 3rd-party support. Seems like most companies these days don't want to create games that they'll only be able to sell on one console. The "but it's portable" gimmick seems like it wouldn't be an issue there.

I hope they still support the Wii U awhile; there are so many cool Nintendo games that do make use of the motion controls or the touchscreen, or both. If nothing else, it would be nice for them to step up their Virtual Console releases of NES, SNES, N64, GBA, and DS games.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 04:43:21 pm »
+1

New stages, new clothing, new hairstyles, new weapons/weapon designs, new animations. It's definitely a sequel.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 11:37:42 am »

I was hoping nintendo's next gimmick would somehow form a device that feasibly lets me bring a settlers of catan port or betrayal at the house on the hill port to a friends house and just play using virtual pieces.  This doesn't seem like the one... right? Sadness.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 06:12:48 am »

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/791455799302246400

We're getting Switch news on January 12th. Interesting that this news drop been announced so far in advance, and that that's so close to launch (only about 2 months before launch).

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 11:45:24 pm »
+2

Just got it yesterday. I am completely speechless about Zelda Breath of the Wild.
I'm just loving all of it.
All of it.

Who else got their Switch and Zelda here?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 01:15:00 am »
+2

Just got it yesterday. I am completely speechless about Zelda Breath of the Wild.
I'm just loving all of it.
All of it.

Who else got their Switch and Zelda here?

I'm playing Zelda on Wii U. It has impressed and amazed me multiple times already, and I'm still in the opening area. And I'd watched a bunch of gameplay videos of that area already.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 01:31:19 am »
+1

This Zelda could end up being the undisputed best in the series. Can't wait to watch a playthrough and I hope to play it someday.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 07:30:16 am »

Just had to watch another 30 second un-skippable Nintendo Switch ad.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 11:38:42 am »
+1

So as previously mentioned, I'm not getting a Switch any time soon. Due to lack of backwards compatibility, we just bought a Wii U a few months ago! So last night we had planned on downloading BotW for Wii U; though it probably wouldn't have finished in time to play it last night. But turns out we either need to get an external hard drive or purchase the physical disc. Only 10 GB free on the Wii U; and Zelda needs like 10.1 or something. Which is sad, because we only have 1 downloaded game on top of the ones that came with the system. But I noticed that Smash takes a huge amount of space even though we have the physical disc for it; the updates are huge.

So anyway, last night we did indeed play Zelda.... The Minish Cap! We just finished Wind Waker HD last week; and this is the next in line. I haven't ever played it before either. Really good so far.

I'm a bit concerned about how much I'll like BotW.... in spite of almost all perfectly positive reviews. The openness and limitless potential of things to do and stuff to collect makes it feel like it might be one of those games that never ends; you just keep playing until you get sick of it. I like games that I can complete; and complete having done 100%. It's unclear right now if BotW will have a concept of "100%"... obviously you can't get every weapon in the game. But perhaps you can still get to a max health and max stamina; can complete all the shrines and dungeons; and assuming that there's items other than the random weapon drops, can get all the upgrades/items.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 12:57:18 pm »

Well now I kinda really want to get the switch. Unfortunate that it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to get a game console in my current situation. I love Zelda :(
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 05:44:10 pm »

BotW proves that I have not played many open-world console games. I lack a lot of the skills that you gain in games like GTA or Assassin's Creed (I assume). Proven by my ability to fall off a tower and die, then reload the game and immediately fall off at the exact same point. And it's probably best to not talk too much about my fighting prowess.

Still, it's a great looking game, and I'm enjoying it a lot. There's a lot to do, which is equal parts blessing and curse, but it's a lot of fun.

As we already knew from the preview event, Bomberman is fun (because it's Bomberman, although the 3D perspective in story mode is occasionally jarring) and Snipperclips is adorable and occasionally frustrating.

Are we doing friend code swaps? Because I'm SW-5024-6077-7622 (StarMann), if we are.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.