Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The psychological aspect of Dominion  (Read 2440 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
The psychological aspect of Dominion
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:58:56 pm »
+4

This is something that I think people try to overlook. We want dominion to be all about math and what the best possible strategy is, but that's unfortunately not always true, especially for newer players. Think about the recent discussion about relic vs minion. Minion seems like the stronger attack, when actually relic is usually better. But the fact that you may have discarded a good hand isn't inconsequential. Seeing your good cards skipped is demoralizing, even if the cycling helps you.

Another example is Torturer. I've seen many a new player pinned by this card because they just don't want to give themselves a curse, it doesn't feel right. There's always that feeling of "it's my fault I have these curses, I could have done something different".

Also, when playing an engine against big money, it can be hard to let your opponent pick up 4 provinces without even buying one. It takes willpower to get past that point of "how will I ever catch up?"

What are people's thoughts?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: The psychological aspect of Dominion
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:12 pm »
+2

We want dominion to be all about math and what the best possible strategy is

Says who?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 01:18:14 pm »
+7

We want dominion to be all about math and what the best possible strategy is

Says who?

It was J Reggie who said that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:07:59 pm »

Improving your own psychology is quite possible. Making your opponent's psychology deteriorate is something else (without gamesmanship).

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:05:47 pm »
+1

Of course Dominion is psychological. If we did not get any emotional satisfaction from the game, we would stop playing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 04:07:32 pm »
+4

If we did not get any emotional satisfaction from the game, we would stop playing.

A lot of the time, I find it the hardest to stop playing when I don't get any emotional satisfaction from the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 10:37:20 pm »

Well, there are plenty of games I have played where I got overconfident because my engine was working turn after turn, or my opponent had gotten several dud turns in a row, and ended the game prematurely, giving my opponent the win, all because it FELT like they were losing.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:43:02 pm »

Get rid of emotion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 12:21:15 am »
+2

I try licking my opponent's ear. That tends to give me the psychological angle of the game.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 07:52:05 am »

There are a lot of cards I like and almost always go for even when I know they're a bad idea.

Also, I just can't bring myself to not buy anything on my turn.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 12:00:02 pm »
+5

Improving your own psychology is quite possible. Making your opponent's psychology deteriorate is something else (without gamesmanship).

Play Thief, reveal Copper and Platinum, say to trash the Copper, then yell "PSYCH!" and trash the Platinum.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 04:28:28 am »

This is something that I think people try to overlook. We want dominion to be all about math and what the best possible strategy is, but that's unfortunately not always true, especially for newer players. Think about the recent discussion about relic vs minion. Minion seems like the stronger attack, when actually relic is usually better. But the fact that you may have discarded a good hand isn't inconsequential. Seeing your good cards skipped is demoralizing, even if the cycling helps you.
Well, there's always going to be a discrepancy when you have newbies playing with vets.  I've said before that Dominion is a good game for newcomers, and Dominion is a good game for experts, but NOT both at the same time.  Either the vets need to guide the newbies, or the newbies have to be fun with perhaps getting mopped the floor with.  This may not be that far fetched, as I can say there are some bg I enjoy playing even if I'm losing horribly.  In fact, I'd rather LOSE at those games than WIN at others.

Otherwise, have a more equal group where not everyone's studying opening moves, drawing upon charts, graphs, number of moves, and efficiency ratings.

Another example is Torturer. I've seen many a new player pinned by this card because they just don't want to give themselves a curse, it doesn't feel right. There's always that feeling of "it's my fault I have these curses, I could have done something different".
FWIW, similar to how Bureacrat has a self included way to keep it from hitting too much (buy adding Silver to that player's deck), by taking Curses, you do increase the chances that you'll have "good garbage" to discard when you get hit again.

Also, when playing an engine against big money, it can be hard to let your opponent pick up 4 provinces without even buying one. It takes willpower to get past that point of "how will I ever catch up?"

What are people's thoughts?
See my comments in the first block above.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.