Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Kru5h's card ideas  (Read 112425 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Kru5h's card ideas
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 05:09:07 pm »

Rabbits - Action Card, $1*

+1 Buy
+$1

You may gain a Rabbits from the Rabbits pile.

Put this on a non-empty supply pile that doesn't have a Rabbits on it. (Cards underneath Rabbits cannot be gained while Rabbits is on them.)
---
When you buy this, you may gain or trash this.

I would do it like this.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:10:30 pm by AdrianHealey »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 05:17:23 pm »
+1

Sorry, I'm not good with photoshop or anything, so I just have text.
If you find a good image PM me and I can make it for you, no prob.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 08:14:19 pm »
+1

Sorry, I'm not good with photoshop or anything, so I just have text.
If you find a good image PM me and I can make it for you, no prob.

Thanks! But I'm going to make sure all of my wording is worked out before I do that.

So... what happens if I put my Rabbit on the Curse pile? Does that mean my opponent's Witch no longer gives me Curses? Personally, I think that's a feature, not a bug.

Yes, that's a feature. It also stops people from gaining Silvers with trader and cards like that if its on the Silver pile. I'm going to clarify the wording, though. Right now it says you cannot gain a card from this pile. Witch says each player gains a Curse. Which one wins? I'll probably word it something like, "While this on a non-Rabbits pile, it costs $0 and when a player gains another card from the pile, they instead gain nothing."

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 03:13:43 am »

Okay, I've been working on this card for a while, so here it is:

Caltrops - Action Attack Duration, $5
At the beginning of your next turn,
+2 Cards
---
While this is in play, when another player plays a duplicate of a card that they already have in play, they first discard a card.
This can't cause a player to discard more than more than one card per duplicate played.

I like to make hard decisions. Torturer is one of my favorite cards. This card does a lot of things. One thing it does is it makes you make decisions. Do I want to play this card if I have to discard? If so, what do I discard? If not, that's a card I can discard, so what card can I play now? This card also encourages deck variety: If you play no duplicates, it doesn't affect you. It hurts both engines and big money. The better your deck is, the more it hurts you. If the game is a slog, then you will have lots of junk cards to discard anyway and few duplicates to play, so it doesn't over-slog games.

So, how powerful is the attack? Well, first note that multiple copies do not stack. Discarding 2 cards per card played would be ridiculous. I estimate that a good engine will play 6-8 duplicates per turn when drawing your whole deck. That's 6-8 cards to discard. That sounds like a lot! Well, that's out of your whole deck. That's equivalent to having 6-8 Curses or other dead cards in your deck, so it's no more powerful than Witch in a four-player game. But you get to choose which cards to discard rather than simply drawing dead cards, so it's not quite as bad. It doesn't punish you until you start playing several cards, so it at least lets you get your turn started. If you have a hand of five coppers, you end up discarding two of them, so it's no more powerful than Militia in the worst case.

So let's review: It forces tough and meaningful decisions; it isn't oppressively powerful but still very effective; it scales with quality of your deck, affecting better decks more; encourages deck variety; and doesn't worsen slogs (or if it does, not by much.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:57:01 am by kru5h »

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 01:56:37 pm »

Here's a fun one:

Pupil - Action, $4
If there are any action supply piles that are full, choose one. Play this as if it were the top card of that pile. You can't buy cards from that pile this turn.

A $4 card that plays as any action in the game as long as nobody has bought that card yet. Really strong at the start of the game: You can play it as Prince, Overlord, or whatever on turn 3. Then near the end of the game this card becomes a copy of that one card that nobody buys. It could even be a completely dead card. Since you can't buy the card you play it as, it prevents shenanigans like playing it as a Hunting Grounds on turn 3 to buy the first Hunting Grounds so nobody else can play it as Hunting Grounds. Because of that, you may want to play it as the second best card on the board so that you still have the opportunity to buy the best card on the board. You might even want to buy a card from a pile that you don't need to prevent your opponents from playing their Pupil as that card.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:10:42 pm by kru5h »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 02:20:47 pm »
+2

The wording doesn't match your description. The card says it only allows you to choose an empty supply pile. I assume you mean a pile that's never been purchased from? You'd need tokens to track that sort of thing though...

Pupil Action,
Play this as if it were an action card in the supply with a Pupil token on it. You can't buy cards from that pile this turn.
---------------------------
Setup: Place a Pupil token on each action supply pile. When a card from that a pile is bought, remove the Pupil token.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 03:08:45 pm »

The wording doesn't match your description. The card says it only allows you to choose an empty supply pile. I assume you mean a pile that's never been purchased from? You'd need tokens to track that sort of thing though...

Pupil Action,
Play this as if it were an action card in the supply with a Pupil token on it. You can't buy cards from that pile this turn.
---------------------------
Setup: Place a Pupil token on each action supply pile. When a card from that a pile is bought, remove the Pupil token.

I meant to type "full"! Fixed.

Pupil - Action, $4
If there are any action supply piles that are full, choose one. Play this as if it were the top card of that pile. You can't buy cards from that pile this turn.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:11:39 pm by kru5h »

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 03:52:45 am »

Rabbits - Action Card, $1*

+1 Buy
+$1

You may gain a Rabbits from the Rabbits pile.

Put this on a non-empty supply pile that doesn't have a Rabbits on it. (Cards underneath Rabbits cannot be gained while Rabbits is on them.)
---
When you buy this, you may gain or trash this.

I would do it like this.

I don't really like the trash version. Feel free to test that version and let me know how it goes, but I don't like the extra words I would have to add. In a two player game, I doubt that the Rabbits pile is ever going to empty and completely clog up the board. I imagine only 3 or 4 of them will be in play. In the case where all 10 are bought, it's not as bad as it seems. About 3 will be in the first player's deck, about 3 will be in the other player's deck, and about 4 will be on the board. If people get sick of all the Rabbits, they can simply start placing them on 4 piles that don't matter: Copper, Curse, Estate, and that one pile that nobody bought from this game. In a 3+ player game, it's even less of a problem because more of them are in players' decks. Again, this assumes that all of them are gained. The "you may gain" is optional and at some point most reasonable people will stop taking that option.

I see what you're trying to do with the variable cost on Rabbits - or if not in the Rabbits pile. Just cost it at and avoid the unneeded complexity.

Costing $0 would make it far too easy to empty the pile. It's a card that already let's you gain more Rabbits and gives you +buys to buy more free Rabbits.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 05:07:28 am »

Pupil + prince or pupil + hireling = funny

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 12:58:32 pm »

Pupil + prince or pupil + hireling = funny

Pupil + Hireling doesn't bother me. It's really really strong, but doesn't break the game.

Pupil + Prince kind of breaks the game, so that annoys me. I'll try to think of a way to improve it. I could always add "A card costing up to $7", but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 01:03:04 am »

How about this:

Pupil - Action $4
Play this as if it were an action card from a full supply pile costing up to $6. This is that card until it leaves play. You cannot buy that card this turn.

Edit: I might even have to lower it to "costing up to $5", but I'll play around with it for a while. If I do that I would probably lower the card's cost to $3.

Edit2: I'm thinking about this version instead, since it's a lot more balanced:

Pupil - Action $3
Play this as if it were an action card from a full supply pile costing up to $5. This is that card until it leaves play. You cannot buy that card this turn.
---
When you trash this, gain an action card costing up to $5.

This also fits the theme well of a Pupil growing up to be a professional.

Edit3: Rules lawyers, help me out here! If you play Pupil as another card that trashes itself, (Let's say Mining Village), do you still gain the $5 card, or does it not take effect because it's the other card when it's trashed?

Edit4: If the above answer is yes, then if I play it as Procession and then Pupil as Fortress, does it both return to my hand AND gain me a $5 card?

Edit5: How do I make those coin symbols instead of typing $5 each time?

Edit6:

Pupil - Action $3
Play this as if it were an action card from a full supply pile costing up to $5. This is that card until it leaves play. You cannot buy that card this turn.
---
When you trash this, if it was not in play this turn, gain an action card costing up to $5.

Edit7: For simplicity:

Pupil - Action $3
Play this as if it were an action card from a full supply pile costing up to $5. This is that card until it leaves play.
---
When you trash this from your hand, gain an action card costing up to $5.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:12:47 am by kru5h »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 03:17:39 am »
+2

What about "when you trash this from your hand"?
It might be a tad confusing with Hermit, Lookout and Sentry, but at least it bypasses worse confusion. :)
GendoIkari made an extension for Chrome and Firefox letting you conveniently put coin values as emoticons, and card links with a single click. I'm on my phone so I'm afraid you'll have to google it.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 03:30:42 am »
+1

What about "when you trash this from your hand"?
It might be a tad confusing with Hermit, Lookout and Sentry, but at least it bypasses worse confusion. :)

Good call. I just edited that in right when you were typing it. Great minds.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 05:32:16 pm »
+2

Snakes Action,
+1 Card
+1 Action

Gain a Curse. Set this, the Curse, and any number of cards from your hand aside.
Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Kind of a combination of Junk Dealer, Island, and Chapel all in one. The penalty is that you get -1VP at the end of the game (If there are any curses left.) If there are no curses left, this simply lets you clear your deck of all curses (but you still lose the points at the end of the game.) But waiting until all the curses are gone just leaves your deck clogged most of the game.

Also useful in some Gardens/Alt-VP games. You get a streamlined deck at the cost of one VP? Worth it?

Edit: Changed it to "you may" to make it a cantrip in the cases where you don't want to use it.

Snakes Action,
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may set this aside. If you do, gain a Curse; setting this, the Curse, and any number of cards from your hand aside.
Return them to your deck at the end of the game.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:06:26 pm by kru5h »

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »

Backup Plan Action,
+1 Card
+1 Action

Set this and an action card from the supply costing up to aside.
When you play an action card, you may follow the instructions of the set aside card instead.

Edit: Wait. That's a little too strong. I'll remove the cantrip from it.

Backup Plan Action,
When you play an action card, you may follow the instructions of the set aside card instead.

Edit2: This should cost

Edit3: This should be limited to once per turn.

Backup Plan Action,
Once per turn, when you play an action card, you may follow the instructions of the set aside card instead.

Edit4: Not sure how this interacts with Enchantress.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:47:49 pm by kru5h »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2016, 07:03:40 pm »

I like Snakes.
Seems like Backup Plan should be an event.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 07:06:56 pm »

I like Snakes.
Seems like Backup Plan should be an event.

I thought about it. But then you'd need some kind of "Backup Plan Token" to place on the set aside card. If you play multiple Backup Plans, that's multiple tokens that would be needed. Also it would be too much like Inheritance. I like that it takes a shuffle and an action to get this into play. It slows it down and keeps it from being too powerful.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 02:37:33 am »

Warriors' Village Action - Attack,
+1 Card
+2 Actions

Each other player discards the top card of their deck.
If they shuffle a new deck, they gain a Curse.

I had to think of an attack that's weak enough that it doesn't completely slow down the game if you play it 10 times per round. This is fast and doesn't slog very quickly at all. If it's too weak, I can always change it to discarding two or three cards, but I think one should be sufficient. You don't want the game to become a slog because then villages are worthless.

Edit: I think I like 2 cards discarded better.

Warriors' Village Action - Attack,
+1 Card
+2 Actions

Each other player discards the top 2 cards of their deck.
If they shuffle a new deck, they gain a Curse.

If anybody playtests this, let me know. I'm looking for it to add about 4 curses to an opponent's deck per game. More than that and it's too sloggy for villages. Less than that and it's not worth the attack.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:34:17 am by kru5h »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 02:42:22 am »
+1

Backup Plan Action,
+1 Card
+1 Action

Edit: Wait. That's a little too strong. I'll remove the cantrip from it.

Backup Plan Action,

Edit2: This should cost

Edit3: This should be limited to once per turn.

Backup Plan Action,
Once per turn, when you play an action card, you may follow the instructions of the set aside card instead.

Edit4: Not sure how this interacts with Enchantress.

Use the BOM wording. That solves the enchantress issue.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2016, 02:49:34 am »

Good call. How's this?

Backup Plan Action,
Once per turn, when you play an action card, you may play it as the set aside card instead.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2016, 03:04:36 am »
+2

Good call. How's this?

Backup Plan Action,
Once per turn, when you play an action card, you may play it as the set aside card instead.

Which is then overrulee by enchantress, problem solved.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2016, 03:33:58 am »

Dowsing Rod Action,
Name a card type (Action, Attack, etc.) Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 cards of the named type. Put 2 cards of the named type into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

Simple card. Strictly better than Adventurer and only costs $4. You can get creative with the types to sometimes grab the exact card you want: Attack, Knight, Traveller, Gatherer, etc. Amazingly good in slogs or victory-soaked decks.

I need feedback on this card because it may be too powerful.

Edit: Version 2.

Dowsing Rod Action,
Name a card type (Action, Attack, etc.)
If you named...
"Action", +1 Action;
"Treasure", +1 Buy;
"Victory", +2 Cards.
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one of the named type.
Put it into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

Of course, you don't have to name one of those types. If you're desperate for an attack or a traveller, you can forgo the bonus and simply dig for that specific card.

Although, this looks familiar. Is this already a card?

Edit 2:

Dowsing Rod Action,
Name a card type (Action, Attack, etc.)
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one of the named type.
Put it into your hand and discard the rest.
If you named...
"Action", +1 Action;
"Treasure", +1 Buy;
"Victory", +2 Cards;
"Curse", you may trash a card from your hand.

You don't have to have any curses in your deck to name Curse. If you're absolutely desperate to trash a card in your hand, you'll simply discard your entire deck and trash a card.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:23:26 am by kru5h »

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:23 am »

Rare Coin/Beaches Split Pile

Rare Coin Treasure,

Worth more if there are no Rare Coins left in the supply.

Beaches Victory,
Worth 1 more if there are no beaches left in the supply.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:24:13 am by kru5h »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 06:51:23 am »

Rare Coin/Beaches Split Pile

Rare Coin Treasure,

Worth more if there are no Rare Coins left in the supply.

Beaches Victory,
Worth 1 more if there are no beaches left in the supply.
I like this but both cards seem a tad too strong. You could change the size of the pile or scale it according to the number of players.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 11:34:42 am »

Edit5: How do I make those coin symbols instead of typing $5 each time?

Check out the link(s) in my signature.  :D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.