Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Author Topic: Kru5h's card ideas  (Read 112387 times)

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
Kru5h's card ideas
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:56:12 am »
+12

My cards aspire to be the sequel to Intrigue. Lots of choices and duality. I call it Dominion: Conspiracy.

Card images by ThetaSigma12 and myself. Click to enhance.

Rabbits

You play this card and it goes on top of another card, preventing your opponent(s) from gaining cards from that pile until it's gone. It doesn't make players gain a curse, it doesn't even make cards cost more, it just makes the first card of a pile essentially cost two buys (or gains.)

But what if there are no +Buys? This could get quite annoying. Luckily Rabbits has +1 Buy, so there's always a card in the supply to alleviate that. Fight fire with fire, I always say. Of course, Rabbits aren't quite fire. When you fight Rabbits with Rabbits, you get more Rabbits. You didn't remove a Rabbits from the supply, you just moved it to a different supply pile. And now they're in your deck too, essentially functioning as a one-use buy. You can rid them from your deck, but then they just clog the supply board even more. These invasive vermin are everywhere!

You can also put this on the Curse pile and cursing attacks no longer work until that Rabbits is gained. Somebody playing a Jack of All Trades or Trader? Put Rabbits on the Silver pile.

Countess (Formerly: Scepter)

Cooper

Jetty

King Midas

Promotion

Ivory Tower

Why would you discard first? When you have a small hand. If you only have 2 cards, it's much better to discard then draw 5 than to draw 5 then discard back down to 2.

Cipher

Lost Coins

Bon Vivant

Bon Vivant. Full of action and everybody wants to be him. In fact, you can be him. Got too many terminals? When you play this, you can turn some of them into Villages!

Scientist (Formerly: Inventor)

Grand Workshop (Formerly: Kiln)[3rd place in a design contest!]

Cabin

A really tempting way to ruin your deck with Coppers.

Young Smithy

Bull

Camping Grounds

FAQ: Yes, 0 is even.

Concierge

Smorgasbord

Jungle

The above card is very similar to one of hypercube's events, but we both came up with it independently.

Financier

Junk

Bond

Maid

Mask Salesman(Formerly Pupils)[Contest Winner!]

Royal Terrace

Foundry[Contest winner!]

Tailor

Angry Mob

A $2 attacker. Quite vicious if you play 3 of them.

Rook

Probably been done before, but this is my own spin on it.

Toymaker

Tinker

Pulpit(v5)

A pure Reaction card. No Action part!

Path(v4)

General

Warlock(v7)

Commune(v1)

Bookstore(v10)

Bonus Cards/Events/Others using extra Mechanics

Jinx Tokens
Whenever you have 6 or more Jinx tokens, you return 6 and gain a Curse.

Witches' Village

Caltrops

Critic

Loot/Cavern

This is fun, but split piles don't fit with the rest of the cards.

Profit

Turn one Buy into one money. Also, Golds are better.

Mulligan(v4)

Land Grab

Collection

Guard Tower

Experimental

Outtake Cards

Path(v8)

This could be interesting, but to make it work the way I want it to, it would need 7 or 8 lines of text. Way too much.

Dark Arts

Risk

Painter

Oops. Not only is this overpowered, but with two cost reducers, you can empty the pile instantly.

Cloister

Too similar to one of Asper's cards.

Bookstore

Too complicated.

Young Smithy(Previous Version)

Grand Workshop (Formerly: Kiln)[Previous Version, which emptied piles too quickly.]

Hound

Of course, you don't have to name one of those types. If you're desperate for an attack or a traveller, you can forgo the bonus and simply dig for that specific card.

Genie (Formerly: Magic Lamp)

Too powerful.

Benefactor

Empties piles too quickly.

Spike Pit (Formerly: Trap)

Replaced by Dark Arts (Event).

Plague/Plague Doctor

Magnifies too quickly.

Shield

Installment

Accomplice

Rearrange

Special thanks to Mali-mi and Commodore Chuckles for helping with this card.

Warlock

Double Cursing. This may be too powerful.

Locksmith

Locksmith unlocks your duration bonuses. Get tomorrow's bonuses today! For example, you can play Wharf and get +2 Cards and +1 Buy. Then you play Locksmith to unlock its additional 2 Cards and Buy this turn. (You discard Wharf at the end of this turn.) Turn Caravans into Labs. Turn Caravan Guard into Peddlers. Turn your Merchant Ships into +. Sometimes you don't want to fast forward your duration cards. For example, you want the attack bonus that Swamp Hag gives, but that's okay, it's nice to have the option. For cards like Champion and Outpost, this won't give you anything, but that's okay too; it doesn't mess anything up either. Sometimes there are no other duration cards in the supply, that's also okay because you can play it on itself.

Shortcut

Wasp (Supply = Same as Curse supply)

Turn extra buys into temporary junk for your opponents.

Parrot

This can be completely broken with the new Way of the Chameleon.

Dagger

Too weak and boring.

Sellout

Donald X copied me again! j/k I liked this card, but Donald's version is slightly more streamlined.

My submission for the +1 Buy contest. Too strong with Goons.

Blockade

I want this card to cost $2, but then it's too powerful in games with attacks. If it costs $3, it's too weak in games without attacks. Interesting double-defense card, though.

Tinker

Apparently trashing a card and putting it back into your hand can lead to infinite trashing with Fortress and Lost Arts/Champion. With Tomb in the set, that's infinite points.

Judge/Courtroom

I invented this before Fleet came out, but now Fleet obsoletes this card.

Pupils/Campus

Magic Coin

Too Powerful.

Settlement

Too similar to one of Asper's cards.

Bells

Was too powerful and way too easy to find Action cards to play. Also it's very similar to a rejected card Donald X. tried already. Oops.

Snakes

Slightly swingy. Not that exciting.

Young Noble

Too weak/boring.

Warriors' Village Action - Attack,
+1 Card
+2 Actions

Each other player discards the top 2 cards of their deck. If they shuffle their deck, they gain a Curse.
This was a fun card, but had two fundamental problems.
1) Was very luck-based. When testing, sometimes one player would end up with 3 times as many curses as another player.
2) Why Village/Attack? You're going to buy Villages anyway, making them attack doesn't give them any extra incentive.

Cell

This card is probably way too powerful. Comparable to Hireling I think, but cheaper.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 01:36:46 pm by kru5h »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Kru5h's card ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:04 am »
+2

I like all of these at first glance.

I might argue there is an argument to be made to be able to remove rabbits all together one way or another.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:47:34 am by AdrianHealey »

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:48:28 am »

*I originally added Inventor here, but now I edited it out and added it to my main post.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:47:14 am by kru5h »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:17:32 am »
+2

Option durations are an interesting idea but the most innovative thing here is of course Rabbits. I would just slightly buff it via giving it +1 Coin.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:43:51 am »

Option durations are an interesting idea but the most innovative thing here is of course Rabbits. I would just slightly buff it via giving it +1 Coin.

I've actually been thinking about that for weeks. I've been 50/50 on it going back and forth, but I think I'm finally ready to accept that it needs +$1.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:11:52 am »

I'm not convinced of Rabbit. The fact I have to spend its own buy on itself if I want to keep my +Buy card makes it basically an Abandoned Mine. The "attack" is mostly a Super-Embargo that makes me gain a Ruins AND spend a buy. Ass it also never ends but even makes itself continue, it seems like it could really drag out a game.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 06:04:37 am »

I'm not convinced of Rabbit. The fact I have to spend its own buy on itself if I want to keep my +Buy card makes it basically an Abandoned Mine. The "attack" is mostly a Super-Embargo that makes me gain a Ruins AND spend a buy. Ass it also never ends but even makes itself continue, it seems like it could really drag out a game.

It's the last part that is the biggest problem. If there was a self-trashing ability, it would be a great idea. Definitely think it can work.

In slogs, it's horrible though. :p

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 06:12:16 am »

One solution
Vould be:

----
When you buy this, you may gain or trash it.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:27:43 pm »

The "attack" is mostly a Super-Embargo that makes me gain a Ruins AND spend a buy. Ass it also never ends but even makes itself continue, it seems like it could really drag out a game.
That's definitely a risk. But you only have an incentive to go for Rabbits if players pursue different strategies. In this case you don't view Rabbits as a liability, as quasi-junk, but you are actually happy that you get the Rabbits back from the liberated pile because you wanna use it to ruin your opponent's most valuable pile.
What I would mainly worry about is whether Rabbits totally ruins a pile in alt-VP games (without comfortable extra buys in the Kingdom). One player loads Rabbits upon Provinces while the other loads Rabbits upon Gardens/Vineyard/whatever. Or BM vs engines, one player ruins Gold while the other Rabbit-ifies a crucial engine card like the only Village.

But these are just theoretical considerations; even if the card turns out to be broken it will definitely lead to some interesting games.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 02:29:58 pm »

Inventor - Action Duration, $6

Choose one: +2 Cards, +1 Action now, or
+3 Cards at the beginning of your next turn.
I think I like this a bit more, but I'm unsure.

Also, Rabbits is awesome.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 02:30:41 pm »

The Rabbits mechanic has been suggested and discussed several times before. Not giving an opinion on it really, just letting you know. Welcome!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »

Definitely. +4 cards at the start of your next turn is like playing 4 labs at the start of your next turn! Choosing the lab now would almost always be terrible in comparison. Event only +3 cards might be too strong; it's like playing 3 labs next turn. 1 lab now, or 2 labs next turn, might be closer in power. (Which would be +2 cards next turn).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 03:43:13 pm »

Definitely. +4 cards at the start of your next turn is like playing 4 labs at the start of your next turn! Choosing the lab now would almost always be terrible in comparison. Event only +3 cards might be too strong; it's like playing 3 labs next turn. 1 lab now, or 2 labs next turn, might be closer in power. (Which would be +2 cards next turn).

+3 Cards next turn is what Haunted Woods has. Haunted Woods costs $5 and has an attack to boot. +2 Cards next turn is just awful; a card with such an effect would never be bought on most boards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 05:08:51 pm »

+3 Cards next turn is what Haunted Woods has. Haunted Woods costs $5 and has an attack to boot. +2 Cards next turn is just awful; a card with such an effect would never be bought on most boards.

Wharf says hi. But your point about Haunted Woods is fair.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 05:37:25 pm »
+1

"Mulligan" is my favorite.
Mulligan -
If you played no cards this turn, discard your hand and +1 Card per card discarded after the first. Return to your action phase.
Personally, I'd add a once per turn, or an extra drawback. That much sifiting is insane. Also I'd chose a different name "Chase" or "Pursuit" seems kinda thematic as you rush through your deck to get that one hand.  So maybe:
Pursuit -
Once per turn: If you played no cards this turn, discard your hand and +4 Cards. Return to your Action phase.
This seems smoother. I like having the discarding be more like Minion, the extra complexity seems unnecessary. Also, the card was strong enough that only drawing 4 seems good. Thoughts?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 08:41:18 pm »

It's the last part that is the biggest problem. If there was a self-trashing ability, it would be a great idea. Definitely think it can work.

In slogs, it's horrible though. :p

With the current wording, you can put it on the curse pile or Ruins pile to prevent people from gaining them and prevent the game from slowing down further.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 02:52:29 am »

Added Bronze:

Bronze - Treasure, $2 (20 supply)

$1

+1 buy
---
When you gain this, you may trash a copper from your hand. If you do, you may gain a Bronze.

This is a useful treasure that upgrades your coppers. Good in games with no other +buys or no other way of trashing coppers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:02:47 am by kru5h »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 03:26:37 am »
+1

In general you want whatever you get now and not next turn but terminal draw is the only exception to that, i.e. Haunted Woods sans the attack part would be roughly equal in strength to Smithy.

Your analysis ignores what happens at the current turn. Inventor provides a choice is between a Lab now and 4 Cards at the start of your next turn at the cost of the currently played card being dead.
Now I still think that such a card is too good for 6 as it provides a choice between one of the best 5s, a Lab, and something which is similar in strength to Hunting Grounds, a 6.

Your "+2 Cards at the start of your next turn is a DOUBLE LAB !!! next turn and thus super great" would probably be too weak for 2 or in general too weak at any cost. Sure, it might be bought on some boards with decent village support and no drawing at all but the card is still roughly equal in strength to "+2 Cards".
It's like saying that "+2$ next turn" is a DOUBLE PEDDLER !!! next turn while ignoring that it is dead now and probably too weak to be bought at all (it is worse than Duchess which is rarely taken, even for free).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:30:53 am by tristan »

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 03:28:58 am »

In general you want whatever you get now and not next turn but terminal draw is the only exception to that, i.e. Haunted Woods sans the attack part would be roughly equal in strength to Smithy.

What you did is thus a gross misrepresentation. The choice is between a Lab now and 4 Cards at the start of your next turn at the cost of the currently played card being dead.
Now I still think that such a card is too good for 6 as it provides a choice between one of the best 5s, a Lab, and something which is similar in strength to Hunting Grounds, a 6.

Your "+2 Cards at the start of your next turn" would probably be too weak for 2 or in general too weak at any cost. Sure, it might be bought on some boards with decent village support and no drawing at all but the card is still roughly equal in strength to "+2 Cards".

I agree that it is quite powerful for a 6. I would sometimes pay 7 for it, but I don't quite like it at 7 all the time. It feels like a 6.5 card. I would instantly pick it over Hireling. I don't see it as stronger than Goons, though.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:36 am »
+1

You are of course totally right that 6$ Actions are powerhouses and not problematic if they are slightly overpowered. Goons and Hireling are definitely extremly strong for 6$ but probably a tad too weak for 7$.

I'd say it depends on the Kingdom whether you choose Inventor over Hireling. If you hit 6 early and the game will not be a rush Hireling is probably the better choice.
I'd try twitching the duration part to nerf Inventor slightly , e.g. "+3 Cards, +1 Buy" or something like that.

Bronze is not super exciting but seems balanced. You probably will not mass trash your Coppers as the opportunity cost (1 coin less during the current turn) is too high and the marginal benefit of extras Bronzes is decreasing (unless it is a Peddler game or something like that) ... but hey, it is still a cheap source of non-terminal extra buys.

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 03:45:42 am »

You are of course totally right that 6$ Actions are powerhouses and not problematic if they are slightly overpowered. Goons and Hireling are definitely extremly strong for 6$ but probably a tad too weak for 7$.

I'd say it depends on the Kingdom whether you choose Inventor over Hireling. If you hit 6 early and the game will not be a rush Hireling is probably the better choice.
I'd try twitching the duration part to nerf Inventor slightly , e.g. "+3 Cards, +1 Buy" or something like that.

I've tried modifying it several times, but nothing clicks for me.

Ideally, it would be choose one:

+2 cards, +1 action now, or +2 cards each turn for your next two turns.

But then there's the tracking issue. Did I already take my two cards last turn or is this the third turn? Archive solves this by setting aside cards, but that would ruin the elegance of this card.

I tried giving other players something cool. "While this is in play, each other player..." but couldn't think of anything original. Each other player draws a card would just be a Council Room copy. I'd still like to do this, though.

+4 cards, discard a card could work, but seems unnatural. Its theme is gaining cards. Discarding one makes it feel against itself.

For now I'm content with it being a powerhouse card and will modify it if I ever think of something creative. I still want to include it in my cards list because the other two option-duration cards are micromanaging (2 actions vs 2 cards or 1 buy vs 1 more money) and I want an option-duration that says that the cards can be powerful too.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 03:51:52 am »

I like "+2 cards, +1 action now, or +2 cards each turn for your next two turns."
It is novel and there are some subtle differences between Archive's immediately setting apart and this version of Inventor.

You could also combine your option duration with market squire's semi-permanent durations. In this instance it could be something like "until another player does XYZ, +2 Cards at the start of your next turn."

kru5h

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 04:26:07 am »

How about this:

+4 Cards at the beginning of your next turn.
---
While this is in play, you cannot buy an Inventor.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 04:51:09 pm »

So... what happens if I put my Rabbit on the Curse pile? Does that mean my opponent's Witch no longer gives me Curses? Personally, I think that's a feature, not a bug.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:34 pm »

I see what you're trying to do with the variable cost on Rabbits - or if not in the Rabbits pile. Just cost it at and avoid the unneeded complexity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.