Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Unpublished card wordings  (Read 3963 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
Unpublished card wordings
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:56:56 pm »
+1

I refer you to this post.

I guess you guys will use all new wordings on the cards? This creates the curious situation where some cards will play differently online than physically, as long as the new versions remain unpublished. Let's take Stash. This is not a corner case, because whenever you have Stash and you shuffle, you'd almost always want to look at the cards you draw before you place the Stash. Of course people can play however they want, but the fact is that now officially, with the second edition of the base game, you're not allowed to do that with Stash. But probably (based on what Donald wrote), whenever Stash is reprinted it's going to go back to functioning as before. So we have this inbetween-time where Stash functions differently than we're used to - but only physically, because online it's going to continue functioning like before.

I really hope this isn't going to be the case for many other cards. It looks like Embargo is another one, but unlike Stash that's an extreme corner case that hardly matters in practice.

I'm not saying you guys have all the answers here. I'm just wondering if you considered this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:34:29 pm by Jeebus »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Unpublished card wordings
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »

I didn't interpret Donald's post as him saying there would be an updated Stash wording that lets you view cards you are about to draw - I think he was just saying the wording would make sure you couldn't shuffle Stashes on top of the cards that miss the shuffle. So the in between phase is going to stick forever.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
+1

On a related note, I'd like to request an option for subscribers to all cards to be able to unsubscribe from Stash. Perhaps there should be a more general policy where people can opt-out of having individual promos, but the only promo I don't want is Stash.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:21:24 pm »

I didn't interpret Donald's post as him saying there would be an updated Stash wording that lets you view cards you are about to draw - I think he was just saying the wording would make sure you couldn't shuffle Stashes on top of the cards that miss the shuffle. So the in between phase is going to stick forever.

No, you're wrong, see below.

I do not think there is a reasonable way to phrase Stash that lets you look at the cards, but Stash hasn't been reprinted with a new phrasing yet, so you-all are welcome to take a shot at it.

And then...

I liked Haddock's wording for it.  It's both precise and concise:

When you shuffle this, put this anywhere among the shuffled cards.
Note that this does not make Stash function like it used to (letting you see the cards not being shuffled), or make it cease to matter if your draw-4 was 2+2 or what.

And then later:

It looks like I can phrase Stash in a way that preserves its old functionality after all.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 06:03:22 pm »
+3

I really hope this isn't going to be the case for many other cards. It look like Embargo is another one, but unlike Stash that's an extreme corner case that hardly matters in practice.
As previously reported, almost no cards will change functionally, even in very rare cases. I can only think of one other one.

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 06:32:09 am »
+4

I guess you guys will use all new wordings on the cards? This creates the curious situation where some cards will play differently online than physically, as long as the new versions remain unpublished. ...

Yes, we will use the new wordings wherever we can.
No, I don't expect any confusion to come from that.
Join the Dominion League!

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 11:01:20 am »

I guess you guys will use all new wordings on the cards? This creates the curious situation where some cards will play differently online than physically, as long as the new versions remain unpublished. ...

Yes, we will use the new wordings wherever we can.
No, I don't expect any confusion to come from that.

Can I ask why not? All sources of rules (like these forums, the rules forums on BGG, my document and, I assume, the wiki, plus of course the actual second edition rulebook implicitly) will state that you now are not allowed to look at the cards when you're drawing. According to Donald, new wordings on unpublished cards are not in effect yet and should not be followed (not even "leaked"). But nevertheless the new online Dominion platform will work differently for Stash. I mean, I guess people are used to bugs, so maybe you're saying that people will just chalk it up as another bug. That's hardly the same as "not any confusion" though.

Actually I'm a little confused as to why it's okay for the new platform to use new wordings before (maybe months or years before) they are published, but it's not okay to refer to them as official rules. I mean, is it okay to refer to them as official rules after the new platform goes live, or not even then..?

Edit: Maybe what I'm not seeing, is that using them online is in fact publishing them? So that they will be officially published at that point?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:04:28 am by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 10:18:08 am »

What's the Embargo thing? Is there a post where Donald said it would get new functionality?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 11:49:25 am »

What's the Embargo thing? Is there a post where Donald said it would get new functionality?

Yes, barely. With the new wording, you can e.g. gain your Gold from Hoard in between a couple Curse gains from multiple Embargo tokens. It effectively never matters.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 01:06:55 pm »

Yes, barely. With the new wording, you can e.g. gain your Gold from Hoard in between a couple Curse gains from multiple Embargo tokens. It effectively never matters.

This sounds like more a matter of ruling how curse tokens work than an issue of wording on the card. Is there a thread on this?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.