Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Cards, Oh My!  (Read 2554 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
New Cards, Oh My!
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:40:42 pm »
+3

Played some more games with our resident double lizard.

(Transmogrify)

This one was pretty wild, but maybe it shouldn't have been. I have a hard time deciding how this should really play out.

We piled the Half-Distant-Lands Transmogrify pile. I did my best to make heavy use Lurker and Artisan for the extra Action gains to build up Orchard points. Found some synergy between Transmogrify and Lurker, being able to turn Artisans into something else I needed (e.g. Fairgrounds) and gain them back right away. Archive shined here as the best (i.e. only) way to get a little bit of card draw.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:48:27 pm by Deadlock39 »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: New Cards, Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 11:57:44 pm »
+1

This was an interesting board without a strong Engine.

What do you do here?
Go for the Herald Engine, weak Copper trashing be damned?
Just get the Followers ASAP?
Play Butcher-BM?
Get Bandit to feed Butcher? or Replace? or Legionary?
Get those 3 extra Coppers?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:11:47 am »

We had to use the 7 remaining cards in our final game because... they are new. How could we not?

Who wants to play Scout-BM?

There is an engine here. Check it out. You discard cards with Mill, then play Diplomat to get actions. Draw cards with Scout, pickup more Mills and Green with the extra ability that you can discard for more coins with Mill. It is amazing. Probably too amazing. Neither of us tried it because we didn't want to cause any damage to our FLGS with the amazing power.

This board went fast. I made my own shuffle luck and drew 3 Estates and 2 Copper at the top of my Third shuffle. It seemed bad for a second until I realized I could just grab an Estate and was virtually guaranteed to hit Inheritance the next turn.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:03:02 am »

Wow, all three of those kingdoms look pretty awesome. Maybe I underestimated the new cards, although the Empires cards (and card-shaped things) also contribute a lot to it, I'd say.

The first board has a rather weak engine, but it's still playable due to the large amount of Alt-VP with Orchard, Obelisk and Fairgrounds. I guess you want 3 of all the non-terminal Actions (maybe more Transmogrifies) and 1 of all the terminals before greening (well, you're kinda already greening in a sense). Artisan is a rock star, of course. BM could never keep up. Interesting dilemma: is keeping the Shelters for Fairgrounds worth it? Probably not, right? (Lurker can actually gain you the Necropolis back from the trash, lol.)

The second one is probably my favorite. My knee-jerk reaction would be, go for the engine, it's definitely worth it. Heralds will start cascading quickly once you get rid of the starting Estates with Butcher - although maybe not as quickly as usual due to the weak Copper trashing. Tournament gets you Princess, which is a better first pick than Followers here imo, even with Courtier on the board. But then there are a couple of strong and interesting BM options. Courtier/Legionary BM could be very strong, maybe with support from one Bandit, although it would be sad for Bandit and Legionary to collide. In both cases, getting those 3 Coppers late-game sounds doable and worth it. But with the strong Attacks flying around, I'd probably still go Herald engine.

The third one is not as cool as the other two. Inheritance + Mill + Patrol looks ridiculous until you realize that Diplomat is the only splitter. Good luck with that. Dare I say it - Scout may have been better for the engine here since it's non-terminal. Painful. Patrol-BM still looks okay though, maybe with Trading Post support. If you get a lucky early 7, Inheritance instead of Trading Post does the trick, but ironically it weakens Patrol since it will now draw those Estate-Somethings dead.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:04:31 am by Aleimon Thimble »
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:59:21 am »

These are cool boards that partly highlight how good the new cards are!

Game 1:

Game 2: KInd of a shame Replace and Butcher are both here, because Replace is really quite good, and Butcher kind of robs it of the spotlight since Butcher is probably still better. I think you win the Tournament here. Followers is really good with giving you Butcher fuel and giving your opponents difficult to trash Estates. However all is not lost for the loser because they can Butcher those Curses into Copper for Fountain points.

You DEFINITELY buy Copper at some point because each one is worth FIVE VP. But extra buys are somewhat scarce so it's hard to figure out exactly how you'll do that. Considering they are almost as good as Province, I legitimately think you just buy them after you start Really Greening and when you miss Province?

This game highlights Bandit well; it's a Gold gainer with a fun side effect, not a Thief plus. That's pretty good here where you have all kinds of things to feed Gold into.

If it weren't for Tournament and to a lesser extent Fountain, I would still go for Herald and just never buy Treasure outright; there's lots of cheap cantrips and Duplicate. But Tournament kind of forces this into a Good Stuff Board really.

Game 3: I really like the engine here. Vassal has lots of cantrips, Sentry and Temple are both decent trashing, and you can score Temple VP while setting up your fun Mill payload. Mountain Pass makes this sort of a Tournament board though - you really want to trigger the auction so you can win it, which makes it more of a rushing board. Tough.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51:09 am »
+1

I learned that I am not very good at assessing the value of landmarks.

Fun fact: Most of you are in a similar situation to me, and may not even know it.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 10:03:40 am »

Interesting dilemma: is keeping the Shelters for Fairgrounds worth it? Probably not, right? (Lurker can actually gain you the Necropolis back from the trash, lol.)

We both trashed the Shelters, and we both took a Necro back at the end :)

Kind of a shame Replace and Butcher are both here, because Replace is really quite good, and Butcher kind of robs it of the spotlight since Butcher is probably still better.

I gave Replace a try For Science even though we both agreed with this sentiment. I didn't use either Gold gainer, though perhaps I should have. Trashing Gold into Province feels much nicer with Replace than it does with Remodel. It happened twice + a Province to Province late. The Herald engine didn't fire reliably fast enough to get the upper hand here, and attempting to thin Coppers in the face of Fountain didn't feel correct to multi-Agamidae in hindsight. The Replace deck snagged 4 Provinces and was grabbing the 10th Copper for $6 about the time the engine started to click.

Game 3 definitely played out as a rush, but it might have been a fluke. Hard to say.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 10:24:05 am »

The real power move of Replace isn't even the late Cursing but the early Estates into a topdecked $4 Action. It's so much faster than Remodel! You're far more willing to do things like Silver -> $5 as well. Where before "Remodel Silver into a $5 and buy a Silver" was silly, Replace makes that a power move.

My first Replace game had Nobles in it, so I gobbled up all the $4s I could with buys and rushed the Nobles pile, handing out a few Curses and topdecking with Replace.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 20 queries.