Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How important is making bad cards miss the shuffle?  (Read 2168 times)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
How important is making bad cards miss the shuffle?
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:18:28 am »
+1

So here's a thing I was wondering the other day. Say you have a hand of Dungeon, 2 Coppers and 2 cantrips. You play the Dungeon, drawing two Estates. Since your hand is pretty bad, you probably want to trigger a shuffle with the 2 cantrips you have in hand. But which cards should you discard? Normally you would discard the Estates, being your worst cards, but now that you are triggering a shuffle, discarding the Estates means you can draw them again, and keeping them in hand makes them miss the shuffle. So do you keep them, sacrificing your current hand in favor of your future hands, or is that idea not worth it?
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: How important is making bad cards miss the shuffle?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:21:04 am »
+4

"Depends on the board" blah blah, but if you can't get rid of the Estates any other way, and you know the turn won't be productive, you probably want to discard the coppers.

But really, you should have played the cantrips first and then played Dungeon - sifting with incomplete information kills, and then you could have discarded the Estates after they safely missed the shuffle...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:22:34 am »

Either way, you have the same number of junk cards in the shuffle so it doesn't really matter a lot. You can just discard all the Coppers that you don't need this turn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:23:59 am »
+3

But really, you should have played the cantrips first and then played Dungeon - sifting with incomplete information kills, and then you could have discarded the Estates after they safely missed the shuffle...
Lets say that the cantrips were on the deck and the estates were in hand.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:25:33 am »

Yeah, good one. Otherwise playing the cantrips is indeed better, I forgot about that. I can't remember the exact context of the game tbh.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:07 am »
+2

Depending on what the cantrips do and the contents of my deck, I'd consider discarding 1 Copper and 1 cantrip. Make three bad cards miss the shuffle, get one cantrip back in, and seeing as there's no trashing there's a decent chance I'm drawing a shit card anyway.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 10:53:02 am »

Some considerations:

-You either keep the estates now, or you draw them in your next shuffle.  So that's the same number of dead cards either way.
-However, you might just draw the estates next turn and discard them with your dungeon.
-Also, if you put the estates in the next shuffle, they might just appear at the bottom of that shuffle, and then skip the next shuffle.

So in most cases, I would discard the estates and make the copper miss the shuffle.  Edge case: if my deck has a Baron, I'd discard only one estate.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 02:17:09 pm »

This sort of decision needs an appreciation of what sort of hands you want to draw, which cards you need to buy, what sort of income you need from your hands, and so on. For instance, if you want to buy a province in a tournament game then take the dud turn now (keeping the estates) just to increase the chance of buying the province later.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:46:56 pm »
+1

I think it is better to separate two effects.

The first effect is about whether we want to make bad card miss a reshuffle. The answer is always yes. Or more importantly, you don't want to make your good cards miss a reshuffle if possible, for instance, by not playing a cantrip without much benefit.

Then the second effect is what do you discard before you force the reshuffle. This does not increase or decrease the frequency you use a card, but just whether you make a card miss this shuffle (discard now) or next (do not discard.) Then the decision entirely depends on what you can do with the current hand and what you want to do in the future turns. In general the current turn is worth more but if the hand sucks already then it pays to just give it up completely for a potentially better future turn.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:14:44 pm by timchen »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.